+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    @delirium it probably takes into account your height to generate the image.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Directly, yes I agree. But the skinny image we have is affecting more than just those with ED's. The women in normal range that starve themselves are huge. Something like 90% of women have dieted at one time or another, obese or not.

There may be more people in the world overweight and obese than with ED's. But that doesn't mean the message isn't filtering into and affecting the majority of women's lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    @delirium it probably takes into account your height to generate the image.
    But wasn't another person told in no uncertain terms the diagram was of someone at the same height just different weights? Therefore it was realistic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I agree that neither is healthy and both ends of the scale should be targeted through different campaigns. Which is why I said even if you are a normal BMI, that doesn't give you an excuse to not look at other aspects of your health.

However two wrongs don't make a right - you can't just dig your head in the sand and be all "yeah I'm obese, but that skinny girl over though chain smoking is just as unhealthy as me so I'm not going to change anything until she does".

Thin models is a completely different issue and something that needs to be addressed differently.

Eating disorders (whether making you underweight or overweight) are mental health diseases and need to be treated as same.

Overall education/awareness campaigns about healthy lifestyle choices - more exercise, better food choices (healthy food, decreased portions, less junk food etc), no smoking, less drinking etc will benefit both groups of people.
    I don't think anyone has said that though - that we just stick our head in the sand and stay fat by pointing out our chain smoking counter part to feel better. What I'm saying is that the two ends of the spectrum are intrinsically linked.

Yes ED's are a mental health issue. But often so is obesity. BED is an actual ED in the DSM.

I feel like there has been so much snark directed at me and anyone else that has offered a different perspective in these discussions. It's a shame.
    Last edited by delirium; 11-10-2015 at 14:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

I don't understand why every conversation around the obesity crisis gets muddied with talk about models, fat skinny, eating disorders, people who are fat but fit etc.

Ask any health professional what the biggest crisis is in Australia and they will say the overweight and obese.

Binge eating disorder affects between 2-5% of the population, more than 50% of the population are overweight or obese. It's not eating disorders that are causing this issue.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 11-10-2015 at 14:27.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-10-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (11-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-10-2015),Mezmerised  (11-10-2015),Moxy  (11-10-2015),Ngaiz  (11-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (11-10-2015),Theboys&me  (12-10-2015)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But wasn't another person told in no uncertain terms the diagram was of someone at the same height just different weights? Therefore it was realistic?
    I think that was just in a discussion of comparing within the image. Ie. No. 3 can be healthy and 7 unhealthy by comparison. Sorry if that's not clear.

Whereas your own weight distribution for your height may look different. The website you posted didn't reflect my weight distribution too well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I don't understand why every conversation around the obesity crisis gets muddied with talk about models, fat skinny, eating disorders, people who are fat but fit etc.

Ask any health professional what the biggest crisis is in Australia and they will say the overweight and obese.

Binge eating disorder affects between 2-5% of the population, more than 50% of the population are overweight or obese. It's not eating disorders that are causing this issue.
    Bc they are so deeply linked? I haven't seen this topic discussed in ages so I don't know if it's every conversation.

I don't understand why people are becoming so rude and aggressive at others pointing it out? I wonder if maybe the notion that thin people can be just as disordered in their thinking over food and weight may make some uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bc they are so deeply linked? I haven't seen this topic discussed in ages so I don't know if it's every conversation.

I don't understand why people are becoming so rude and aggressive at others pointing it out? I wonder if maybe the notion that thin people can be just as disordered in their thinking over food and weight may make some uncomfortable.
    For a very small subsection of the population they are linked.

I more think it's because many people don't want to take a hard look at themselves and what they eat and how little physical activity they do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Directly, yes I agree. But the skinny image we have is affecting more than just those with ED's. The women in normal range that starve themselves are huge. Something like 90% of women have dieted at one time or another, obese or not.

There may be more people in the world overweight and obese than with ED's. But that doesn't mean the message isn't filtering into and affecting the majority of women's lives.
    It's an assumption that might not be correct that 90% of normal weight women undertook a diet at some point in their life because of the skinny ideal.

Many mums undertake a diet after having had a baby for instance.

I'd also think that the abundance of food has something to do with out need to diet.
    Big food marketing make us eat more than we need then we have to diet to stay in normal healthy range.

All those reasons have nothing to do with skinny ideal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This sounds good in an ideal world. That people are not judged by their looks. But it happens all the time.

Unfortunately it just ain't gonna happen in the world we live in.

Have you seen the threads on here about how if you don't do your makeup everyday then you've let yourself go? Or what a disgrace that people wear jeggings and consider them suitable attire for public places. Or if you go out in your sweaty gym shorts and shirt?
    I know. And it's sad.