+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    But to be fair, the 4 had a BMI of 25 according to the article. 25 is just on the cusp between healthy &overweight.

(bmis of the people were 16,19,22,25,28,31 etc - as the article said they started at 16 &rose appx 3 pts each time)
    That's interesting, I'm a 25 and I wish I was a 4! I'm a 5 at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I think this thread shows part of the problem with our society! We need to be able to speak openly and honestly about weight if we are to tackle the obesity epidemic. We need to push aside our feelings about our weight and to do that we need to disconnect people's 'worth' from their 'weight'. None of this 'slim is perfect' and 'big is beautiful'.

In other cultures it's normal to call describe people as fat, skinny, big, small, etc. It's not an insult, it's not fat shaming, it's just saying the truth. It's like describing ones hair colour.
    This sounds good in an ideal world. That people are not judged by their looks. But it happens all the time.

Unfortunately it just ain't gonna happen in the world we live in.

Have you seen the threads on here about how if you don't do your makeup everyday then you've let yourself go? Or what a disgrace that people wear jeggings and consider them suitable attire for public places. Or if you go out in your sweaty gym shorts and shirt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I hadn't even lost cm's!!! I think I'd actually put on a couple of kg's (definitely of fat, not muscle!) and people were still trying to argue with me!
    I think that the fact that you are told you've lost weight as a compliment says a lot though about how society sees weight.

Bc despite the fact the world is getting fatter, I think ideals are shifting more and more in the other direction. There is pretty much a universal thought that thin = attractive, control, self esteem, health and overweight = gross, having no control, no self esteem and being unhealthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think I'm probably about a 6 in that picture. I'm about 160cm and about 80kg, and I know I'm definitely not as healthy and fit as I could be. My waist is about 104cm, and my hips are about 116cm. I could definitely stand to lose 15kg to 30 kg. I don't feel good the way I am, but I'm struggling to break lifelong habits.
    Last edited by Catzilla; 11-10-2015 at 12:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's not surprising that the ideal used to be chubby bodies when most people couldn't eat enough.

Nowadays most people have an overwhelming profusion of food so ideal is slimmest bodies.

Ideal have always been what the norm wasn't, what most people couldn't have.

IMO that's ok. However using models that are unhealthy slim and anorexic is just a step too far 😓

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Interesting that we have gotten fatter,but the idea of a 'perfect' or ideal body has gotten thinner. As a PP put up a picture of a model that was 'too fat' - we expect out models to be so very thin,yet we (statistically) are oveeweight & obese. It would be great if we could meet in the middle.... healthy weight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    For the people that say "I'm overweight - but can run a 10km and lift 50kg", it's fantastic that you're making positive changes to improve your health and fitness - but it still doesn't change the fact that an excess amount of fat in your body has a detrimental effect on your heart and other organs and is a risk factor for many chronic diseases.

Those that are in the normal range, but aren't considered fit or healthy because they're "skinny fat" or eat McDonald's 3 times a day still also need to look at ways to improve their health and fitness regardless of being a normal weight.
    I agree. But the difference is that the normal range person that starves all day then binges on Maccas isn't ridiculed. They aren't fat therefore people automatically assume they are healthy and therefore are worthy. When I was at my thinnest I had a BMI of 17. I got SO many compliments. Yet I lived off a diet of Peter Jackson super mild, coffee and drive through maccas.

Distorted perceptions go both ways. It may well be true that people now perceive they are smaller than they really are due to lots of factors. But the fact ED's are sky rocketing and models are getting thinner and thinner signals we have skewed perceptions on being thin as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I thought this was interesting too. When I put my measurements into this calc the image was much more correct for me personally than the one at the beginning of the thread. I'm unsure why, but it shows the science behind visual appearance and weight doesn't seem exact.

http://www.bmivisualizer.com/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes the medal has two faces I agree.

However one side of the problem is greater because it affects a much larger portion of the worldwide population.