+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    There is a difference between body shaming and recognising what is over/underweight.

I find it really interesting as I think society is normalising being overweight and obese as 'ok' (disclaimer: I am talking about unhealthy obese not those that are healthy and fit).

I am on the lower end of healthy BMI. I am currently pregnant but weigh 48kg (due to bad MS). My height is 160cm. I think right now I sit just in the healthy possibly underweight category.

For me, I feel comfortable and look good at around 50ish kg. I think its just because I am small and petite in general.

What I also recognise is that I am not fit. I used to be but am not now. I do eat well though. But I don't think I'm fat - I wish I were fitter a lot of the time but not thinner.
    So it's ok to feel good because you're small frame and petite. But overweight people aren't allowed to feel good? Or if I say that I am comfortable at the higher end of healthy bmi I get asked why on here

God forbid people will say I am making excuses because I have a big frame. I genuinely do. I have to buy men's watches because my bones are too big for women's and I can't even wrap my thumb and middle finger around the biggest part of my wrist where the bone is, even though I have big hands and fingers as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    So it's ok to feel good because you're small frame and petite. But overweight people aren't allowed to feel good? Or if I say that I am comfortable at the higher end of healthy bmi I get asked why on here

God forbid people will say I am making excuses because I have a big frame. I genuinely do. I have to buy men's watches because my bones are too big for women's and I can't even wrap my thumb and middle finger around the biggest part of my wrist where the bone is, even though I have big hands and fingers as well.
    I never said that. And I never would. I spoke purely about ME.

There are many many people in this world who are big framed (yes I do think there are people who have large frames and small frames) who are healthy and feel good and should feel damn good without judgement. And they don't fit into the BMI mould.

But it is a guide. It does not work for every person on the planet.

There are small framed people like me who are happy and feel good and that's fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think people are often told they are too big, and if they're not too big, they're too skinny. Really, we just can't win regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this thread shows part of the problem with our society! We need to be able to speak openly and honestly about weight if we are to tackle the obesity epidemic. We need to push aside our feelings about our weight and to do that we need to disconnect people's 'worth' from their 'weight'. None of this 'slim is perfect' and 'big is beautiful'.

In other cultures it's normal to call describe people as fat, skinny, big, small, etc. It's not an insult, it's not fat shaming, it's just saying the truth. It's like describing ones hair colour.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-10-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-10-2015),jez  (11-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-10-2015),maternidade  (11-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (11-10-2015),monkeymama  (11-10-2015),Ngaiz  (11-10-2015),NoteToSelf  (11-10-2015),Once Upon a Time  (12-10-2015),Renn  (11-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (11-10-2015),VicPark  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I never said that. And I never would. I spoke purely about ME.

There are many many people in this world who are big framed (yes I do think there are people who have large frames and small frames) who are healthy and feel good and should feel damn good without judgement. And they don't fit into the BMI mould.

But it is a guide. It does not work for every person on the planet.

There are small framed people like me who are happy and feel good and that's fine.
    I didn't quote you because you were talking about you.

I was highlighting the fact that your post and other posts in the other thread have mentioned that they are borderline underweight/healthy bmi and are happy with that and that they feel uncomfortable and fat at the higher end of bmi healthy weight range, but as soon as I said that the low/mid range of healthy bmi for me was not for me, and that I feel comfortable at 74kg which is the very high end of healthy weight according to bmi I immediately get asked why and if lower weight is unattainable.

Why can't people (not singling out you but asking in general) accept that some people are happy and healthy at the higher end of healthy bmi range.

And I accept that people have small bones/frames but I'm sure a few eyes have rolled when I say that I have s big frame and bones

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't quote you because you were talking about you.

I was highlighting the fact that your post and other posts in the other thread have mentioned that they are borderline underweight/healthy bmi and are happy with that and that they feel uncomfortable and fat at the higher end of bmi healthy weight range, but as soon as I said that the low/mid range of healthy bmi for me was not for me, and that I feel comfortable at 74kg which is the very high end of healthy weight according to bmi I immediately get asked why and if lower weight is unattainable.

Why can't people (not singling out you but asking in general) accept that some people are happy and healthy at the higher end of healthy bmi range.

And I accept that people have small bones/frames but I'm sure a few eyes have rolled when I say that I have s big frame and bones
    I think if someone said 'I am at the high end of healthy/ a couple of kg overweight,but am happy with that', its different to saying 'I am in thr obese range/ 30kg above healthy weight,but I dont think that is overweight' - thise are two different things. Its great to be confident in your body,but if you are 20 or 30kg overweight, you are overweight & it isnt healthy. I would say the same about underweight. Great to be happy at the low end of healthy,or a few kg unferweight,but 20 or 30kg underweigt is not healthy. That would mean at my height, weighing about 35-40kgs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think if someone said 'I am at the high end of healthy/ a couple of kg overweight,but am happy with that', its different to saying 'I am in thr obese range/ 30kg above healthy weight,but I dont think that is overweight' - thise are two different things. Its great to be confident in your body,but if you are 20 or 30kg overweight, you are overweight & it isnt healthy. I would say the same about underweight. Great to be happy at the low end of healthy,or a few kg unferweight,but 20 or 30kg underweigt is not healthy. That would mean at my height, weighing about 35-40kgs.
    To be fair, you don't actually know what I weigh today. My wedding was nearly 4 years ago.

I said I look at those photos and I don't like them because I AM overweight in them.

And ETA- you can be overweight and healthy. Factors to consider if you are healthy: waist measurement, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, sensitivity to insulin, physical fitness. Oh, and diet, obviously.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 11-10-2015 at 08:50.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be fair, you don't actually know what I weigh today. My wedding was nearly 4 years ago.

I said I look at those photos and I don't like them because I AM overweight in them.

And ETA- you can be overweight and healthy.
    I wasnt talking about you specifically. I was sayig, there is a difference between 5 kg overweight or 5kg underweight, and 20 or 30 kg over or underweight. PP were saying we only highlight the overweight, not the under. I was saying I equally think 20-30kg overweight or 20-30kg underweight is unhealthy. 5 kg over or underweight is probably more dependent on body type etc, & can still be healthy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I wasnt talking about you specifically. I was sayig, there is a difference between 5 kg overweight or 5kg underweight, and 20 or 30 kg over or underweight. PP were saying we only highlight the overweight, not the under. I was saying I equally think 20-30kg overweight or 20-30kg underweight is unhealthy. 5 kg over or underweight is probably more dependent on body type etc, & can still be healthy.
    Yes, but I felt f-/cking amazing on my wedding day, even though I needed to lose another 16kg to be in healthy weight range for bmi.

Why? Because I trained hard and ate well to lose over 20kg. Damn straight I felt much healthier (and I was much healthier) than I had been in a long time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (11-10-2015)