+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I remembered something I was told by a doctor years ago, namely that our ideal weight should be roughly our height in cm minus 102.

So I'm 172cm and my ideal weight is 70kg. That is certainly achievable for me. I currently weigh 72kg.
    I like this. It explains why I feel underweight. I felt my healthiest at 60kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remembered something I was told by a doctor years ago, namely that our ideal weight should be roughly our height in cm minus 102.

So I'm 172cm and my ideal weight is 70kg. That is certainly achievable for me. I currently weigh 72kg.
    I don't believe that sorry. I'm 159cm @ 59kg whilst still in healthy weight range i don't look or feel happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    By the doctor's calculation to be a healthy weight for my height I need to gain 14kg. There's no way I could gain 14kg healthily, and I really don't feel like I am underweight. I am fit, strong and healthy and have zero desire to carry an extra 14kg of body weight around.
    However, I do think it's good as a rough guide for being in the healthy range for those who might be unsure as to what their ideal weight is supposed to be.
    Yes you're right there will always be naturally thin people for whom the calculation won't work. It's just a guide they generally use for people wanting to lose weight. Based on BMI my range is very large. At the bottom end (which I have been) I'm am just way too thin and I don't like how I look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I don't believe that sorry. I'm 159cm @ 59kg whilst still in healthy weight range i don't look or feel happy
    It's just a guide 😊. I didn't invent it so no need to apologise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That would not work at all for me. I'm 167 cm, I would look huge if I weighed 65kg. I weigh 56kg currently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    That would not work at all for me. I'm 167 cm, I would look huge if I weighed 65kg. I weigh 56kg currently.
    As I said it was tool for people looking to lose weight.

I didn't invent it. He's a renowned doctor but it goes to show there is no one size fits all when it comes to weight (hence the BMI range).

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-10-2015),NoteToSelf  (10-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    By the doctor's calculation to be a healthy weight for my height I need to gain 14kg. There's no way I could gain 14kg healthily, and I really don't feel like I am underweight. I am fit, strong and healthy and have zero desire to carry an extra 14kg of body weight around.
    You clearly feel happy with your weight despite not fitting with the weight you should be, and feel healthy. Yet another poster was shot down in flames bc she dared say that despite not fitting the weight she should be, she was healthy too. But she was deemed in the opposite direction as you.

I read this with a touch of irony.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (10-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you're right there will always be naturally thin people for whom the calculation won't work. It's just a guide they generally use for people wanting to lose weight. Based on BMI my range is very large. At the bottom end (which I have been) I'm am just way too thin and I don't like how I look.
    My BMI is 18.6. I just crack being in the healthy range, and whilst I don't worry about my weight, my cut off weight is 60kg. I know that if I was to weigh 60kg I would be carrying too much weight for my body, and yet that only makes my BMI 20.3. I guess that's why the ranges are so large, because it does make allowances for different body shapes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Same for me, I'm 167cm and weigh 59ish, still have some smoodge on me, so I think I would be really overweight at 67kg.

It's interesting though and probably works well for some heights and builds. No formula will be perfect for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    You clearly feel happy with your weight despite not fitting with the weight you should be, and feel healthy. Yet another poster was shot down in flames bc she dared say that despite not fitting the weight she should be, she was healthy too. But she was deemed in the opposite direction as you.

I read this with a touch of irony.
    Well if you have got that from my posts then you are very wrong. I actually tried very hard to be careful with my wording because weight is a sensitive topic. I find this topic really interesting, I'm not setting out to make people feel bad about their weight or how they look/how they perceive they should look at all.

And I actually am in the healthy weight range for my BMI. And yes, I'm happy with how I look. I work very hard at being fit and healthy, and whilst I am far from having a perfect body I am very comfortable with my body size and shape. But I'm not sure what that has to do with it?

BigredV if any of my posts have caused offence, I am sorry. I was not setting out to single you out, just figure you were open to discussion because you put your photo up.
    Last edited by Full House; 10-10-2015 at 20:19.