+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    This is me the other day. Apparently i am overweight with a 27 BMI. I work out lots. BMI is not a good indication of health. I hate my flubby tummy that wont go down though. Uch

And no, i am not showing my face
    Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a combination of a lot of things, way too much sugar, portion sizes and sedentary lifestyle.

A paed told a family member who took their child for a weigh issue that the single biggest factor he sees with childhood obesity is juice and sugary drinks. Especially giving toddlers juice.

I went out for dinner last night and my mum got a chicken caesar salad and honestly it could have fed 3 people. Just way too much food. I think we're programmed to eat way too much.

It's not surprising. I see so many people buying a coke in the morning when I get my coffee. Sugar has a huge role to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I think you're definitely look quite overweight.

Your dress is very flattering and you look beautiful and happy - but no I don't think you like a "normal" weight in that photo.
    Where did I say I was normal weight in that photo?

All I said was that according to my bmi, I am obese in this pic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Its very difficult to comment on people individually,because it makes it personal. Its easier to talk about obesity as a broad issue. That being said, since youve put the pic on willingly.... you look absolutely lovely, but yes, overweigt or obese, & I dont think you would look anorexic at 30kg lighter. You would look very slim & trim,but not anorexic. Sorry if that is offensive,you make a beautiful bride.

I think our idea of a healthy weight is so 'off'these days. Thats why I think BMI can be helpful in general.
    I'm not offended. I've not said I'm not overweight.

My point is that bmi can be inaccurate. I know why my bmi is obese in that pic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Where did I say I was normal weight in that photo?

All I said was that according to my bmi, I am obese in this pic.
    I think when people hear the word obese they picture a 500pound need a fork lift to get out of the house person.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think it's a combination of a lot of things, way too much sugar, portion sizes and sedentary lifestyle.
    I agree with this, plus unhealthy relationships with food (having to eat everything that's on your plate, eating because of boredom or negative feelings, etc), and a completely skewed idea of what is normal. I regularly get told that I look anorexic and I need to go eat a hamburger/pizza/chips. I am on the lower range of what the BMI classifies as normal, but no where near looking anorexic. Clearly though, people perceive me to be too skinny, which I can only attribute to the perception of normal being bigger.

I also think that with the size of meals and frequency of meals, a lot of people (ones I know, anyway) never really actually feel hungry. They eat because this is when they are supposed to eat, not because their body is telling them to eat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    You didn't. But you came across as though you don't think you look obese in that photo.
    Yes. I did. Because I don't think I do. Dispute that all you like. Am I overweight in that picture? Of course. I worked hard to lose over 20kg for my wedding day, but I wish I was 10kg lighter when I look at my wedding pictures. I don't even have our wedding pictures hanging on the wall because despite being proud of my hard work to lose the weight, I'm not 100% happy with how I looked then.

I didn't say I was a normal weight. I know why my bmi was 0.7 over into the obese category in that photo. But I won't go into it now because people will say I am making excuses or normalising it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Check my spin off and tell me what obese look like
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=547066

I'd be pretty interested in your opinions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I remembered something I was told by a doctor years ago, namely that our ideal weight should be roughly our height in cm minus 102.

So I'm 172cm and my ideal weight is 70kg. That is certainly achievable for me. I currently weigh 72kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I remembered something I was told by a doctor years ago, namely that our ideal weight should be roughly our height in cm minus 102.

So I'm 172cm and my ideal weight is 70kg. That is certainly achievable for me. I currently weigh 72kg.
    If a person is 190cms though. They would be overweight by bmi