+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Maybe it needs to be treated like an addiction? Like the way we treat smoking?

We could ban advertising of soft drink and sell it in plain packaging (as a start).
    That would be great. Advertising is so powerful!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Obesity is defined as being 20% or more above a normal weight. I'm not even going to try and guess what your normal weight should be, because I don't know what your height is...but say 55kg is your normal, you only need to weigh 66kg to be obese. I think we have a skewed view as to what obese is, and where we visually look at someone who we would be willing to say is obese, we're probably more looking at a morbidly obese person.
    And by no means am I wanting to offend. You don't look obese in this photo, I'm just using your photo as an example of the skewed views we have on weight as a society.
    I'm 171cm and was 89.9kg in this photo. My ideal weight sits between (from memory) 54kg and 74kg. I can tell you now that if I weighed 60kg (almost 30kg lighter than in this pic) on my wedding day I would have looked anorexic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    They are just meat. Blood sausage has little to no fat. A plowmans lunch is healthy yes. Presswurst is a pigs head boiled and the geletin holds the bits together. The meat and getatin is pushed into a meat press and usually has no additives but does have fat just like any meat.
    But the ones made these days would probably contain sulpher dioxide, sulphites , too much salt and probably other fillers and additives so not what "I" would consider healthy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think our idea of "moderation" has changed - In the 70,s when I was born we would get take away maybe 2 to 3 times a year , we could have soft drink at parties only and desert was only on a Sunday night that is what I consider "in moderation" these days people think once or twice a week is "moderation" plus packet food is now the norm for a lot of people , the extra salt and fat in those pre made sauces and meals alone adds up to a ridiculous amount then add in kids these days don't seem to be out on their bikes or walk to school as much as we used to and spend more time watching TV and on their computers which is why I think we have a problem

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (10-10-2015),HappyBovinexx  (10-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-10-2015),VicPark  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yep. I do disagree with bmi because of that due to my own personal experience. I've posted this photo before on here during these kinds of discussions...

This is a picture of my dad walking me down the aisle on my wedding day and according to my bmi which was 30.7 on this day, I was obese. Maybe I am in denial about it and should accept that in this photo, I am obese.
    No I wouldn't say obese but overweight. There's a fine line between overweight and obese though.

If one is 170 cm a healthy range is between 61 and 72kg.
    Obese would be over 87kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think our idea of "moderation" has changed - In the 70,s when I was born we would get take away maybe 2 to 3 times a year , we could have soft drink at parties only and desert was only on a Sunday night that is what I consider "in moderation" these days people think once or twice a week is "moderation" plus packet food is now the norm for a lot of people , the extra salt and fat in those pre made sauces and meals alone adds up to a ridiculous amount then add in kids these days don't seem to be out on their bikes or walk to school as much as we used to and spend more time watching TV and on their computers which is why I think we have a problem
    This, and portion size. What we're once treats ate now part of the daily diet. People did their own house work we didn't pay maids or yardmen, people were physically active.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (10-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 171cm and was 89.9kg in this photo. My ideal weight sits between (from memory) 54kg and 74kg. I can tell you now that if I weighed 60kg (almost 30kg lighter than in this pic) on my wedding day I would have looked anorexic.
    I'm 172 cm and weigh 55kg. I don't look anorexic at all. But if I gained 30kg then yes, I would think I would look obese. A lot of it comes down to the individual perception. Same height, both very different weights, and neither of us could imagine weighing what the other one does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    But the ones made these days would probably contain sulpher dioxide, sulphites , too much salt and probably other fillers and additives so not what "I" would consider healthy
    From barossa fine foods and handorf gourmet in adelaide. No. I pay $3-4 a few hundred grms. Better then $16 for ham at the deli from woolies pumped full of preservatives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    They didn't go to the gym but they certainly were fit. No modern technology to help in everyday life. Majority of households didn't have cars so they had to walk or cycle to get anywhere, there was no power tools so building a house meant putting your back into it.
    In the household there were no vac, washing machines, electric beaters, spray and wipe so mum had to use elbow grease and her own strength.
    Kids kicked balls and climbed trees
    I agree with this. People are more sedentary now. Also lots of technology and appliances means less physical effort required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. I do disagree with bmi because of that due to my own personal experience. I've posted this photo before on here during these kinds of discussions...

This is a picture of my dad walking me down the aisle on my wedding day and according to my bmi which was 30.7 on this day, I was obese. Maybe I am in denial about it and should accept that in this photo, I am obese.

Attachment 74386
    Its very difficult to comment on people individually,because it makes it personal. Its easier to talk about obesity as a broad issue. That being said, since youve put the pic on willingly.... you look absolutely lovely, but yes, overweigt or obese, & I dont think you would look anorexic at 30kg lighter. You would look very slim & trim,but not anorexic. Sorry if that is offensive,you make a beautiful bride.

I think our idea of a healthy weight is so 'off'these days. Thats why I think BMI can be helpful in general.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Full House  (10-10-2015),maternidade  (10-10-2015),VicPark  (10-10-2015)