+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    This isnt the study itself, but an article about the study. If you ate identical food &did identical exercise to someone in the 1970s, you would be 10%heavier.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...service=mobile
    I suspect that the amount of sugar in all our food has something to do with it.

It has sky rocketed.

On average an Australian eats 30 spoon of sugar per day 😳🙊😷

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015),azelqra  (10-10-2015),ScubaGal  (10-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I suspect that the amount of sugar in all our food has something to do with it.

It has sky rocketed.

On average an Australian eats 30 spoon of sugar per day
    I guess it is dependant a lot on different areas of Australia. Where I live & amongst my friends &family, people are extremely aware of processed foods & added sugar, etc. The majority of my circle have veggie gardens,food dehydrators, thermomixers, etc - very few buy packaged or processed foods regularly,none of our kids or us drink soft drink or juice, we limit things like tomato sauce (if store bought) because of the sugar content. No-one is suprised these days by preservatives or sugar, especially in packaged or store bought foods. But I realise our people might be less common than I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes. I know the brackets. I don't deny there are more overweight people and it is increasing, especially in children, but I don't entirely agree with bmi as an indicator.
    I agree BMI isn't the best indicator but when you are trying to compare vast groups of people across continents, how else can you do it? And if everyone is measured using the same standard then it should be close?

I really do blame manufactured food. My diet as a kid was sooooooo much simpler than the foods my kids have available. Treats were rare and small. Portion sizes are huge and people eat constantly. I have strong memories of just eating so much less when I was a kid. My mum shopped once a week and we only topped up with bread, milk and fruit. If we ran out of something we waited for the next grocery shop. Nowadays there's food everywhere.

Immediate gratification is killing us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

I'm also going to say it, and I know it won't be a popular post.
    Advertisers and advertising works on two basic levels to sell a product.

either by creating a "need", causing you shame, praying on insecurities and guilt into buying their product ( ie implying if you don't buy this toothpaste you'll have bad breath and no one likes someone with bad breath) so you buy their product to prevent this.
    or by jumping on bandwagons and making you feel good about yourself, so you feel that they get you s d thus creating a feeling of affection towards their product

With over half our population overweight they know they can't sell their product using size 2 models so they create campaigns that are anti size 2 models ( think love the skin you're in). This makes overweight population have positive body image ( which is great) however it is also causing obesity to be normalised and even celebrated, when in reality this is dangerous.
    This is not healthy, people are brainwashed into accepting and thinking their overweight body is ok and normal ( well it is normal as over half are that way- but hopefully you get what I mean).

There are times in history when obesity has been celebrated, however the way in which the look was created was very different than now. The larger population of Ancient Greece their diets would have been very different than the modern larger Australian. Whilst size wise they would have been large they would have also not had many health aspects associated with modern society.

We need to focus on health, rather than size. Unfortunately stats for diet related diseases are the main causes of death in Australia so one can safely say majority of our larger population are not healthy large

Edit so meaning they achieved the look not by medical condition, being big boned or having a lot of muscle ( which would only account for small portion of the "obese" stats)
    Last edited by maternidade; 10-10-2015 at 13:38.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (10-10-2015),Frankenmum  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I guess it is dependant a lot on different areas of Australia. Where I live & amongst my friends &family, people are extremely aware of processed foods & added sugar, etc. The majority of my circle have veggie gardens,food dehydrators, thermomixers, etc - very few buy packaged or processed foods regularly,none of our kids or us drink soft drink or juice, we limit things like tomato sauce (if store bought) because of the sugar content. No-one is suprised these days by preservatives or sugar, especially in packaged or store bought foods. But I realise our people might be less common than I think.
    And I bet there isn't many overweight or obese people in your circles. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm also going to say it, and I know it won't be a popular post.
    Advertisers and advertising works on two basic levels to sell a product.

either by creating a "need", causing you shame, praying on insecurities and guilt into buying their product ( ie implying if you don't buy this toothpaste you'll have bad breath and no one likes someone with bad breath) so you buy their product to prevent this.
    or by jumping on bandwagons and making you feel good about yourself, so you feel that they get you s d thus creating a feeling of affection towards their product.

With over half our population overweight they know they can't sell their product using size 2 models so they create campaigns that are anti size 2 models ( think love the skin you're in). This makes overweight population have positive body image ( which is great) however it is also causing obesity to be normalised and even celebrated, when in reality this is dangerous.
    This is not healthy, people are brainwashed into accepting and thinking their overweight body is ok and normal ( well it is normal as over half are that way- but hopefully you get what I mean).
    )
    I agree that we see obesity as 'normal' more than ever. That's why I think a lot of people 'disagree' with bmi, they disagree because it puts them in the overweight or obese category. I actually think BMI is pretty accurate, of course other factors are needed to be taken into account, but it is a good indicator of weight in general.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (10-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree @maternidade.

I remember someone saying that she got the highest kick in the butt when she went on holidays to France, her baggage got lost in transit and she couldn't find clothes in her size in the shops 😳

That's when she decided to do something about her weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You just have to have a look at the new 'health star rating' system, and nestle's 'road to wellness' program...not to mention that berri juice now advertise that drinking one of their pop tops is equal to having one serve of fruit! Is absolutely shameful and disgusting that they can get away with rating a juice popper or muesli bar as 4.5 stars on the 'health star rating' scale when both are full of sugar, but plain full fat yoghurt gets one star!!

This is why people are obese. They honestly believe that they are making good choices, based on misleading labelling and advertising. A lot of people just don't know, and some just don't care.

I strongly feel that nutrition needs be taught in schools.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Frankenmum this is disgusting. Where is the ethics and social conscience of the Big Food industry?!

I think legislation needs to step in. Big corporations don't care about our health just like the tobacco industry.
    We need law to protect the general public interest.

And yes we need education too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Bmi is an outdated inaccurate measurement. Body Fat Percentage is much better. When I joined the gym years ago I had a BMI of 25. 6 months later after 5 day a week sessions.... my BMI was 25 lol my weight had not changed. But my body fat went from 33% to 20. I was the fittest in my adult life then.

Before I had DD I was thin. I also ate badly, not eating all day (long hours at work) then eating junk for tea. I didn't exercise. Yet BMI says I was healthier then, then I am now eating healthy and going to the gym 5 days a week. It has nothing to do with not wanting to admit I'm fat lol it really isn't a good measure of health and fitness.
    Last edited by delirium; 10-10-2015 at 14:17.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (10-10-2015),munchkin275  (10-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (10-10-2015)