+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

The thing that gets me is the recommended serves of healthy foods these days. When they show a healthy lunch box for example, you need a serve of dairy, serve of fruit, 2 serves of veg, some grains, a drink of water etc (sorry if it's not quite correct I don't have school age kids yet!) and that's just the healthy stuff. There is sometimes more in a kids lunchbox than what I would consume over the course of a day!
    I remember my lunchbox consisted of something for recess like a piece of fruit and a simple sandwich for lunch.

I think a lot of people try to do the right thing but I honestly think portion size is out of control. Trying to give their kids all these nutrients scared they are missing out.

And snacking is only a modern thing. Snacks did not exist 50 years ago. Treats did.

That, and sugar. Sugar is bad and in everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep portion sizes are out of control. I agree a simple sandwich and a piece of fruit is plenty for lunch.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can argue numbers and figures all you like. We are fatter than we should be, and I 100% believe it's because of the three things Clementine mentioned - sugar, portion size and our sedentary lifestyle. No doubt.

Yes. Some overweight people are healthier than some who fall in the healthy weight range. For sure.

But this isn't a small scale, individualised debate. It's a really scary fact and the sooner people stop making excuses for them (even if they are genuine) the sooner people will realise that something needs to be done.

Cutting sugar out of our diet (we have the odd slip up but mostly it's gone) has made a huge change. Both DP and I lost 5-6 kilos in a few weeks without trying (not exercising additionally or counting calories). Our skin improved dramatically. My jelly belly shrank overnight. And we ate healthily before...but those hidden sugars will get you every time.

Fed Up is an excellent documentary. The way sugar laden food products are marketed as healthy is killing us.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (10-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-10-2015),Ngaiz  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    You can argue numbers and figures all you like. We are fatter than we should be, and I 100% believe it's because of the three things Clementine mentioned - sugar, portion size and our sedentary lifestyle. No doubt.
    Exactly. This is the real issue in a nutshell.

Check the labels of what u eat. Sugar is there almost always.

That's why I said simple, real non processed foods is the way to go. And when u do want a treat bake it yourself so u know what's in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @rainbow road do you advise any books or doco about cutting sugar out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    @rainbow road do you advise any books or doco about cutting sugar out?
    I would struggle with cutting out wine 😳

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (10-10-2015),Sonja  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't need to cut out wine as the sugar in it isn't fructose. Fructose is what you need to need to avoid

I'd reccomended watching That Sugar Film and reading Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar for Life and also Sweet Poison by David Gillespie.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @ExcuseMyFrench I didn't read any. I did watch "fed up" but I started doing a low carb high fat diet and it started from there. I don't do LCHF per se anymore, but when I was doing it, it basically involved ditching all the sugar and it did take my brain a while to compute (and I did have sugar withdrawals!).

Now we eat so much more simply and are so much better for it.

Brekky: scrambled eggs with or without some chopped veges like mushrooms, spinach, tomato.

Lunch: simple salad with some protein and a fatty dressing (olive oil/balsamic, mayonnaise etc).

Dinner: steak and steamed vegetables, or vegetable noodles with a bolognese or creamy sauce.

That was the other thing: the evolution of the "diet" products. Stuff that! I have full fat varieties of everything! Butter, cream, yogurt, milk, nuts, avocado...Fatty cuts of meat. Why? Fat is satiating. It keeps you feeling full. And it doesn't produce insulin, so you don't have a sudden spike in blood sugar making you feel hungry, like you do when you eat carbs- particularly simple carbs like sugar. It stops the cycle of feeling hungry and having to snack.

I eat a bit hearty brekky and usually don't feel hungry until 3pm. I might have some celery with nut butter, and be good until dinner. Because I am incorporating fats into my diet, I am getting enough calories, but I'm not starving and counting down to my next meal.

Sorry - way off topic! But I guess that's part of it. Fat is always painted as the big bad wolf, but in reality, sugar is doing the damage.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (10-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    This is my downfall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    You don't need to cut out wine as the sugar in it isn't fructose. Fructose is what you need to need to avoid
    Well personally that is probably the best outcome for this thread!!!
    I love you!! 🙊❤️😁

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (10-10-2015),Frankenmum  (10-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-10-2015)