+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I And I would hate for this discussion to go around in circles so much that the mods decide to close the thread. But I also imagine, that if it got back on track and we actually started discussing what we could do to help stop the rise in obesity it would end up completely pear shaped like the healthy vs unhealthy lunch box thread did a while back. It's always the same...and it ends up like it because people like to hide behind excuses, double standards, health reasons, 'everything in moderation' etc.
    Wow ok. I wasn't making any 'excuses' or hiding behind anything. Threads always tend to move in other directions just like a conversation would after a lengthy period. I feel I've made thoughtful contributions to this thread, just because they don't fit within the general fat shaming vibe that was happening when I posted doesn't mean my posts are any less valuable.

Anyway, I guess I'll leave it there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Absolutely, and that's part of what I was getting at- if you're drinking coffees with sugar 2-3 times a day, or having a boost juice or any other high street convenience food laden with sugar, you're filling your body with the wrong sort of fuel, in a completely mindless way (again, including myself in that general 'you')

Also, re. Muscle and people going to the gym etc- fit doesn't necessarily equal healthy either, just as 'normal' BMI doesn't always equal healthy.
    I would argue that exercise is healthy.

I didn't say muscle means healthy, my point was that it contributes to being heavier on the scales if you are doing resistance training at the gym several times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wow ok. I wasn't making any 'excuses' or hiding behind anything. Threads always tend to move in other directions just like a conversation would after a lengthy period. I feel I've made thoughtful contributions to this thread, just because they don't fit within the general fat shaming vibe that was happening when I posted doesn't mean my posts are any less valuable.

Anyway, I guess I'll leave it there.
    I said people...not you. There isn't a general fat shaming vibe, I am sorry you read this thread in that way though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I said people...not you. There isn't a general fat shaming vibe, I am sorry you read this thread in that way though.
    I do not see any fat shaming either but I'm disappointing that we've stopped discussing the initial issue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Same for me, I'm 167cm and weigh 59ish, still have some smoodge on me, so I think I would be really overweight at 67kg.

It's interesting though and probably works well for some heights and builds. No formula will be perfect for everyone.
    Gulp.
    I'm 167 and at last checkin was 78.5 😞
    I guess I should get my Michelle bridges meals organised for next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

I didn't say muscle means healthy, my point was that it contributes to being heavier on the scales if you are doing resistance training at the gym several times a week.
    To an extent muscle does, yes. However, lets look at my body builder friend....started off weighing 90kg, then joined a gym, got down to 70kg, felt great...fit, heaps of energy, was among one of the fittest at the gym. Felt like she was making healthy food choices (and wasn't making particularly bad food choices). Then, decided to get in to to body building...huge amounts of muscles, strict diet...when competing she weigh 55kg. When not competing, she's still eating well but more 80/20 than 100/0 and still trains like a machine but loses some muscle mass because she changes her style of training and sits at 65kg. Still has huge amounts of muscle, but obviously her body fat percentage is changing because she makes big muscle gains when training for a comp but still sheds 10kg.

Exercise is healthy, but exercise alone doesn't make you healthy. I know a gym trainer who trains hard several hours a day...but she also pigs out on copious amounts of junk food and alcohol regularly. I would argue that she isn't healthy, just because she exercises.
    Last edited by Full House; 10-10-2015 at 21:33.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Scuba I'm sorry, I really didn't mean anyone to be offended 😟, or compare to me. I'm a really small frame, honestly...

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

I guess what I'm saying is that talking about the BMI being flawed is taking away from the very real issue of Australians becoming fatter. Most of them aren't 'overweight' because of muscle. They are overweight because they are fat.

The comment about fit/healthy was a bit of an aside- what I mean by that is just as you can have a 'healthy' BMI and still be unhealthy, you can also be fit and unhealthy. Take my brother, who can lap me twice on a 3km circuit and could probably bench press 5 of us at a time, goes to the gym 6 days a week and rides his bike everywhere. He lives off junk food and beer.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (10-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (11-10-2015),VicPark  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A genuine huge hug hun. I could have written that. I hate my body after 3 kids. I'm not happy unless I'm thin. I'm 4kg off healthy weight range and like I said, in small sizes and when my DH says how gorgeous I am I get angry at him I think this is where some of my snappiness has come from tonight. I'm so tired of the pressure to be thin. I admire the women that are happy in their skin like BigRedV. I want that self confidence. I want to lose another 10kg to get into the 50's (I'm short) and I'm balling up all my value in those numbers.
    Thanks. But I'm actually ok with it. My disatisfaction prompted me to finally get off my butt and do something. So I joined a cross fit gym and now I go 3 x each week and I'm feeling great. Amazing actually. While I don't want to look at my body and hate myself, I also have to be the best healthiest me I can be because the reality is I'm an older mum. I'm 44 and I have a 2 year old. I have to be fit for all my kids.

So telling myself it's ok to be overweight or to love myself as I am is great but if I am actually genuinely overweight then it's not doing me any favours in the long run.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    . I'm 167 cm, I would look huge if I weighed 65kg. I weigh 56kg currently.
    Really? Perhaps this is a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm 161cm and when I was 62kg was the best I've ever looked.