+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Is there anyone here who is underweight?
    Yep. I am. Even now at 38 weeks pregnant I'm only 56kg (with substantial weight gain). Do I have an ED? Quite possibly. I tend to stay away from these threads as I cannot possibly relate to being overweight or battling to lose weight.

BUT these threads always seem to end the same way. People get offended or upset, there's fat shaming and skinny shaming, we discuss whether BMI is really fair, people talk about themselves personally making it almost impossible to comment in general as posters made read into we are referring to them, and the fact we are getting fatter as a nation gets lost in all the noise. It's incredibly frustrating and no wonder we seem to be going nowhere.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-10-2015 at 21:08.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (10-10-2015),atomicmama  (11-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I had anorexia when I was in high school and it was awful. But I loved that I was so thin. Absolutely loved it. I struggle to feel happy about my body at times although I try and remind myself it gave me 4 beautiful children and survived numerous IVF treatments. My body is amazing but at times all I see is a flabby belly and large bum.
    A genuine huge hug hun. I could have written that. I hate my body after 3 kids. I'm not happy unless I'm thin. I'm 4kg off healthy weight range and like I said, in small sizes and when my DH says how gorgeous I am I get angry at him I think this is where some of my snappiness has come from tonight. I'm so tired of the pressure to be thin. I admire the women that are happy in their skin like BigRedV. I want that self confidence. I want to lose another 10kg to get into the 50's (I'm short) and I'm balling up all my value in those numbers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I haven't asked for this thread to be closed, nor has there been any interactions in here that would warrant a mod closing it. Personally I really really dislike the closing of threads as I feel even disagreement leads to positive outcomes.

But basically telling me I either tow the line to the OP or leave the thread bc people have to tip toe around is a bit unfair. After 111 posts the topic is naturally going to move to other sub topics within the main one as the million other threads have before this one. No one is asking for tip toeing lol I'm simply pointing out the obvious double standards.
    I'm going to be honest...I don't see double standards. So I guess we're interpreting things differently. And I would hate for this discussion to go around in circles so much that the mods decide to close the thread. But I also imagine, that if it got back on track and we actually started discussing what we could do to help stop the rise in obesity it would end up completely pear shaped like the healthy vs unhealthy lunch box thread did a while back. It's always the same...and it ends up like it because people like to hide behind excuses, double standards, health reasons, 'everything in moderation' etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I disagree about double standards though. The people who said they were happy to be under their normal weight were referring to Sonia's doctor formula.
    Which was a benchmark given to people who had a lot to lose.

If you don't have any to lose in the first place of course it will sound high.

Healthy BMI is 18-25. So for 172cm it ranges from 53 to 74kg.
    The doctor calculation of normal would be 70km so the higher end of normal based on BMI.

It seems logical that many people would say it's too heavy for them if they sit on the lightest end of normal BMI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

Changed my mind..
    Last edited by preggasaurus; 10-10-2015 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I disagree about double standards though. The people who said they were happy to be under their normal weight were referring to Sonia's doctor formula.
    Which was a benchmark given to people who had a lot to lose.

If you don't have any to lose in the first place of course it will sound high.

Healthy BMI is 18-25. So for 172cm it ranges from 53 to 74kg.
    The doctor calculation of normal would be 70km so the higher end of normal based on BMI.

It seems logical that many people would say it's too heavy for them if they sit on the lightest end of normal BMI
    I think you've missed my point. It's ok. This isn't about a specific BMI it's about a state of mind. Maybe I'm not communicating well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Full House; 11-10-2015 at 04:44.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A genuine huge hug hun. I could have written that. I hate my body after 3 kids. I'm not happy unless I'm thin. I'm 4kg off healthy weight range and like I said, in small sizes and when my DH says how gorgeous I am I get angry at him I think this is where some of my snappiness has come from tonight. I'm so tired of the pressure to be thin. I admire the women that are happy in their skin like BigRedV. I want that self confidence. I want to lose another 10kg to get into the 50's (I'm short) and I'm balling up all my value in those numbers.
    I used to fixate on numbers, and started to do it again while I was pregnant (because I felt awful). I don't mean to compare the pressure you're feeling with how I was feeling. I just wanted to let you know that when I stopped looking at numbers and went by how I felt (ie, healthy, strong), I started to feel more confident and happier. Huge mind shift and very difficult to do, but it worked for me. Might be worth a shot for you to get where you want to get.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's interesting that those who say 'BMI is flawed' generally point to those who fall under the overweight/obese category but don't have a lot of body fat as proof that it's wrong.
    Australia has seen a huge influx of South East Asian citizens since the 70's which should surely skew our BMI to the lower end, as people from these areas are generally smaller. Any way you look at it- we are getting bigger. Fatter, actually. I don't understand why people are still arguing against this fact?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-10-2015),Full House  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you've missed my point. It's ok. This isn't about a specific BMI it's about a state of mind. Maybe I'm not communicating well.
    Sorry I missed your point 😌

So maybe we could try and keep the convo general? No more personal numbers etc?

Something I noticed about the worldwide obesity growth is that it is worst in every commonwealth country and USA. I wonder why that is??
    Is it just because commonwealth countries tend to copy trends from the USA?