+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    You don't need to explain yourself though. If you are happy right on the cusp then good for you. Yes BigRed put the photo out there, but the spin off and this thread really didn't talk about what I would describe as 'thin' disortion, which I believe exists as well. It was about how essentially society has got so fat that we don't even realise what fat is anymore, or that the bar for visual obesity (which we visually distinguish as overweight) has gotten bigger.

I'm genuinely not having a go I'm just pointing out the double standards. Lots here are saying even healthy weight range makes them fat and they don't feel comfortable that size. They like being below that. But someone on the other end saying they don't like the mold is deemed disordered in their thinking.
    But I guess if Australia was having a pandemic on underweight people we would be having a discussion on thin distortion. But as a country we are just getting bigger and bigger...hence why we're discussing it, because it can't be ignored any longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't think anyone has said those who are underweight are not though? BRV was game enough to post a photo and perhaps if others wanted to people on here might say they are underweight.

I'm not suggesting anyone do that of the sort. I wouldn't judge based on a photo and said as much. I didn't like that tangent in this thread but the general topic is interesting and needs to be addressed otherwise we are just going to kill our kids with bad choices.
    No, but lots have said they like to be below the line, that is where they feel the most healthy and comfortable (which is fair enough) and no one has said oh no, you are underweight you just don't see it bc you are viewing yourself through a disordered lens (which is paraphrasing what was said to someone else). People instead agreed and said oh me too, I'm meant to be 65 but I feel fat at 60.

I could care less what the girls here weigh or what you feel comfortable with, you live in your body and if you like being slender then cool. But I can only imagine if one of you girls posted a pic being skinny and saying you feel good about yourself and all these people heaped on you couldn't be healthy that thin, that you were skinny and couldn't see it, you'd be hurt right?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    You just have to look around any high street to see Australian consume far far too many calories. We snack all day long, and when we're not it's a coffee to go. A small or regular cafe latte is 150 calories- I know plenty of people at work who have two or three takeaway coffees a day- add a sugar or two and it's the equivalent of eating a fourth meal, every day. And that's not even taking into account the large portion sizes and extra 'treats' they may consume. I would hazard a guess that many Aussies are consuming twice as many (if not more) calories than they need. Add to that our more sedentary lifestyles than 30 years ago and it's pretty clear almost all of us are consuming hugely excessive amounts of calories (myself included)
    I think a really important thing that needs more research though is how foods are actually processed by our bodies. It was really highlighted in That Sugar Film - he consumed equal or less calories than his usual sugar free/procssed food free diet, yet gained 9kgs in 2 months!!! That shows that not all calories are equal. So I really think we need to move away from counting calories and learn more about how different foods are converted to energy/fat once consumed.

I counted calories for years, and stuck to 1200 calories per day and kept gaining weight. When I cut out the sugar and processed foods I stopped counting calories, just ate when hungry, and lost 4kgs without even trying!
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 10-10-2015 at 20:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, but lots have said they like to be below the line, that is where they feel the most healthy and comfortable (which is fair enough) and no one has said oh no, you are underweight you just don't see it bc you are viewing yourself through a disordered lens (which is paraphrasing what was said to someone else). People instead agreed and said oh me too, I'm meant to be 65 but I feel fat at 60.

I could care less what the girls here weigh or what you feel comfortable with, you live in your body and if you like being slender then cool. But I can only imagine if one of you girls posted a pic being skinny and saying you feel good about yourself and all these people heaped on you couldn't be healthy that thin, that you were skinny and couldn't see it, you'd be hurt right?
    Mmm..... I've been told that I must have a distorted view of my body/weight/size because I am clearly too skinny. I was so concerned that I actually had a distorted view I went and asked my doctor. She said I was fine, but not to lose any more weight.

ETA: I've never actually tried to lose weight. My weight just never seems to change.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    But I guess if Australia was having a pandemic on underweight people we would be having a discussion on thin distortion. But as a country we are just getting bigger and bigger...hence why we're discussing it, because it can't be ignored any longer.
    Yep, sure I agree. But what I see is quite a polarised issue. Where there seems to be the overweight, but then there is the underweight who possibly have many of the same issues as overweight people (I read a brilliant article a few months ago from a recovered anorexic about how obesity, BED - Binge Eating Disorder and anorexia stem from almost identical issues it's just one restricts and the other over eats). But the underweight seem to be the most judgmental. We have an obesity epidemic. We also have an epidemic of disordered eating on the other end as well.

eta I'm not saying the girls in here have an ED. Just that while we have issues with obesity there is also real issues with the opposite end as well.
    Last edited by delirium; 10-10-2015 at 20:52.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, sure I agree. But what I see is quite a polarised issue. Where there seems to be the overweight, but then there is the underweight who possibly have many of the same issues as overweight people (I read a brilliant article a few months ago from a recovered anorexic about how obesity and BED (Binge Eating Disorder stem from almost identical issues it's just one restricts and the other over eats). But the underweight seem to be the most judgmental. We have an obesity epidemic. We also have an epidemic of disordered eating on the other end as well.
    This is definitely true.... everything has become so distorted. I agree that people on the underweight end tend to be more judgemental - seemingly of themselves and everyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, sure I agree. But what I see is quite a polarised issue. Where there seems to be the overweight, but then there is the underweight who possibly have many of the same issues as overweight people (I read a brilliant article a few months ago from a recovered anorexic about how obesity and BED (Binge Eating Disorder stem from almost identical issues it's just one restricts and the other over eats). But the underweight seem to be the most judgmental. We have an obesity epidemic. We also have an epidemic of disordered eating on the other end as well.
    Is there anyone here who is underweight? Sonja mentioned something her doctor said, which gave a definite 'normal' number, then people jumped in and said that 'normal' would feel overweight for them. But then it has also been said that this is why the BMI chart has such a large range, because what is a 'normal' weight for one person isn't for another. I definitely read one poster who said they feel too skinny at xkg and feel better sitting at 5kg heavier.

If you want to start a thread discussing anorexia and thin distortion by all means, go for it! This thread was about the obesity problem in Australia, so of course that's where the focus lies. If it makes you feel yuck to read about it then don't read it. I personally would find it a shame to see this thread close, because it is such an important topic that is constantly being tip toed around so no one's feelings get hurt (ever...on here, in society)
    Last edited by Full House; 10-10-2015 at 20:55.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (10-10-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I think a really important thing that needs more research though is how foods are actually processed by our bodies. It was really highlighted in That Sugar Film - he consumed equal or less calories than his usual sugar free/procssed food free diet, yet gained 9kgs in 2 months!!! That shows that not all calories are equal. So I really think we need to move away from counting calories and learn more about how different foods are converted to energy/fat once consumed.

I counted calories for years, and stuck to 1200 calories per day and kept gaining weight. When I cut out the sugar and processed foods I stopped counting calories, just ate when hungry, and lost 4kgs without even trying!
    Absolutely, and that's part of what I was getting at- if you're drinking coffees with sugar 2-3 times a day, or having a boost juice or any other high street convenience food laden with sugar, you're filling your body with the wrong sort of fuel, in a completely mindless way (again, including myself in that general 'you')

Also, re. Muscle and people going to the gym etc- fit doesn't necessarily equal healthy either, just as 'normal' BMI doesn't always equal healthy.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (10-10-2015),Frankenmum  (10-10-2015),Full House  (10-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Australia - a mismatch between reputation and reality

I think what is so sad when you read into this is that for teenage girls the majority will suffer from body distortion of one form or another, and are more likely than not to have some form of eating disorder (be it over eating or under eating).

I had anorexia when I was in high school and it was awful. But I loved that I was so thin. Absolutely loved it. I struggle to feel happy about my body at times although I try and remind myself it gave me 4 beautiful children and survived numerous IVF treatments. My body is amazing but at times all I see is a flabby belly and large bum.
    Last edited by Sonja; 10-10-2015 at 21:00.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    If it makes you feel yuck to read about it then don't read it. I personally would find it a shame to see this thread close, because it is such an important topic that is constantly being tip toed around so no one's feelings get hurt (ever...on here, in society)
    I haven't asked for this thread to be closed, nor has there been any interactions in here that would warrant a mod closing it. Personally I really really dislike the closing of threads as I feel even disagreement leads to positive outcomes.

But basically telling me I either tow the line to the OP or leave the thread bc people have to tip toe around is a bit unfair. After 111 posts the topic is naturally going to move to other sub topics within the main one as the million other threads have before this one. No one is asking for tip toeing lol I'm simply pointing out the obvious double standards.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (11-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)