+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Well if you have got that from my posts then you are very wrong. I actually tried very hard to be careful with my wording because weight is a sensitive topic. I find this topic really interesting, I'm not setting out to make people feel bad about their weight or how they look/how they perceive they should look at all.
    No, I know it wasn't meant in that way. I'm just pointing out that generally in this thread you, and several others are commenting that you like to be below what is 'normal' for your height and you feel happy and healthy. But someone says the same thing but in the overweight/obese category and is told they are essentially fat, that they basically see a normal size when in fact they were far from it. The spin off thread then ran from this idea that BigRedV somehow had a distorted view of her own body.

Yet being underweight and bucking the guidelines is more than ok.

I just feel yuck reading this thread tbh.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (10-10-2015),gingermillie  (10-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    No, I know it wasn't meant in that way. I'm just pointing out that generally in this thread you, and several others are commenting that you like to be below what is 'normal' for your height and you feel happy and healthy. But someone says the same thing but in the overweight/obese category and is told they are essentially fat, that they basically see a normal size when in fact they were far from it. The spin off thread then ran from this idea that BigRedV somehow had a distorted view of her own body.

But I am normal for my height in terms of BMI. Low end of normal, yes, but I am normal. To be fair, BigRedV put herself out there for putting a photo up of herself for people to comment on. BigRedV's photo aside, we do have a skewed view on what is considered underweight/normal/overweight/obese. That is already known (in general). Have a look at the spin off...not one person is right. That thread has nothing to do with anyone on this forum, it is proving how, as a society, our ideas of what a healthy weight range looks like are skewed.

I also haven't read anywhere that people think it's okay to be underweight. But I will say this though, my husband is an immigrant, and when friends and family come to Aus they comment on how big Australians are, they are genuinely shocked. My neighbour, also an immigrant, talks about how fat he is all the time, but really, he just has a bit of a beer belly. Australia has an obesity pandemic. We NEED to stop hiding behind hurt feelings and start making some serious changes. Our children are predicted to die before us....don't you think it's important to think of that and go 'wow, okay, we need to make some serious changes here?'
    Last edited by Full House; 10-10-2015 at 20:32.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm probably fatter than heaps of people in this thread but I bet I would beat majority in a 2km race on the cross trainer/treadmill/rower. I could probably lift heavier weights and do more push ups, sit ups, burpees etc. and could probably do a plank longer than most of you

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (10-10-2015),gingermillie  (10-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

I don't think anyone has said those who are underweight are not though? BRV was game enough to post a photo and perhaps if others wanted to people on here might say they are underweight.

I'm not suggesting anyone do that of the sort. I wouldn't judge based on a photo and said as much. I didn't like that tangent in this thread but the general topic is interesting and needs to be addressed otherwise we are just going to kill our kids with bad choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I know it wasn't meant in that way. I'm just pointing out that generally in this thread you, and several others are commenting that you like to be below what is 'normal' for your height and you feel happy and healthy. But someone says the same thing but in the overweight/obese category is told they are essentially fat, that they basically see a normal size when in fact they were far from it. The spin off thread then ran from this idea that BigRedV somehow had a distorted view of her own body.

Can't like this post enough, I have felt the exact same way reading these posts.

Example, I'm 165cm and currently between 58-60kg (I haven't weighed myself for a while). I don't think my body is perfect at all but I'm not going to lie, I'm a pretty small person in regards to height and weight and definitely not chubby or overweight but yet I weigh more than somebody taller than me claiming they are also healthy.

I'm not meaning this as a jab at anyone but I've found some of the comments in this thread and the vibe towards somebody else on here pretty sh*t.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You just have to look around any high street to see Australian consume far far too many calories. We snack all day long, and when we're not it's a coffee to go. A small or regular cafe latte is 150 calories- I know plenty of people at work who have two or three takeaway coffees a day- add a sugar or two and it's the equivalent of eating a fourth meal, every day. And that's not even taking into account the large portion sizes and extra 'treats' they may consume. I would hazard a guess that many Aussies are consuming twice as many (if not more) calories than they need. Add to that our more sedentary lifestyles than 30 years ago and it's pretty clear almost all of us are consuming hugely excessive amounts of calories (myself included)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm probably fatter than heaps of people in this thread but I bet I would beat majority in a 2km race on the cross trainer/treadmill/rower. I could probably lift heavier weights and do more push ups, sit ups, burpees etc. and could probably do a plank longer than most of you
    I've got no doubt you'd be 100 times fitter than me! Size definitely isn't the be all and end all for fit and healthy.

I've not changed weight (aside from being pregnant) in 15 years. 15 years ago, I was dancing 8 hours a week, and walked (quickly) for an hour 5 days a week. These days I'm finding exercise difficult because of injuries, and I'm lucky to do 30 min of deliberate exercise every second day. I feel horrendous, but the number of people who tell me I'm looking well is ridiculous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You would definitely beat me! I have a BMI of 24, and I eat very healthy and am generally healthy, but I am sooooo unfit! I hate exercise, in any form, with a passion. So you'd be fitter than me for sure

That's why I think health needs to be measured by more than just BMI. While we do have an obesity problem in Aus, I think we really need to shift the focus from weight to overall health. I think if we did that, we'd find a lot of the strain on our healthcare system from 'obesity' related issues would be resolved, either through improved general health or the natural occurrence of weight loss due to healthier lifestyle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    But I am normal for my height in terms of BMI. Low end of normal, yes, but I am normal. To be fair, BigRedV put herself out there for putting a photo up of herself for people to comment on. BigRedV's photo aside, we do have a skewed view on what is considered underweight/normal/overweight/obese. That is already known (in general). Have a look at the spin off...not one person is right. That thread has nothing to do with anyone on this forum, it is proving how, as a society, our ideas of what a healthy weight range looks like are skewed.
    You don't need to explain yourself though. If you are happy right on the cusp then good for you. Yes BigRed put the photo out there, but the spin off and this thread really didn't talk about what I would describe as 'thin' disortion, which I believe exists as well. It was about how essentially society has got so fat that we don't even realise what fat is anymore, or that the bar for visual obesity (which we visually distinguish as overweight) has gotten bigger.

I'm genuinely not having a go I'm just pointing out the double standards. Lots here are saying even healthy weight range makes them fat and they don't feel comfortable that size. They like being below that. But someone on the other end saying they don't like the mold is deemed disordered in their thinking.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am always reluctant to stick my head into threads like this, I tend to be a thread killer, but here goes..

Has anyone noticed the increased size of shop mannequins? In particular at big w? My 5 year old stated laughing in big w the other day, when I asked her why, she told me she was laughing at the fat mannequins! So, my 5 year old has noticed a marketing ploy.

The smallest size clothes in big w literally fall off me. I am no skinnier than I have ever been. But clothing sizes are definitely getting bigger. Is this to improve the self esteem of an obese nation? So that they'll happily shop at big w where they fit into a smaller clothing size?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-10-2015)