+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Round ligament pain remedies?

This is my second pregnancy. Coming up to 20 weeks and the dreaded RLP is rearing its ugly head.

I had this with my first pregnancy, from memory it started a little later but continued pretty much right way through. To clarify, I'm not so much talking about the occasional tweak or stab when I stand up to fast/sneeze/etc - although I do get a bit of that, it's over very quickly. My RLP is worst when I exercise - and was the sole reason I had to stop running around 29 weeks with DS. It's like a stitch on the lower (usually right) side of my uterus. Disappears as soon as I stop exercising. I know it's RLP as had the exact same thing last pregnancy diagnosed by my midwife.

I'm beginning to feel it already this time round, mainly when I run, swim, or do any form of exercise. Even a brisk walk bright it on yesterday.

I'm not the sort of person that can not exercise. It's as much about mental as well as physical wellbeing. And whilst I fully understand I have to 'take it easy', I'm hoping to get some advice from any other sufferers out there that have somehow managed to deal with RLP and still remain active etc.

I'm considering buying a belly sport band (for extra support etc) in hope this might ease symptoms. But my belly isn't so big so not sure it will help.

Has anyone found anything that works? Stretching, massage, using peppermint oil or ice packs??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump? Am I the only one suffering this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not having pain but my suggestion would be physio who will prob suggest belly belt. Its not just for supporting big bellies but should help with the ligament pain when you're still little.

Good on you for exercising! I still have MS and last pregnancy I fainted lots so not sure about exercise this pregnancy.
    Last edited by twinklify; 10-10-2015 at 09:39.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (10-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I'm not having pain but my suggestion would be physio who will prob suggest belly belt. Its not just for supporting big bellies but should help with the ligament pain when you're still little.

Good on you for exercising! I still have MS and last pregnancy I fainted lots so not sure about exercise this pregnancy.
    Thanks. I used all my private health Physio cover in January with a foot injury 😭! But have been thinking of giving those belly belts a go. Can only find a US supplier though (for a sport specific one), so expensive! I guess maybe worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the physio and got a support brace properly fitted (was great cause you sort of need to try them on to find the correct support/fit). The actual band was around $40 and the appt $70. Well worth it as made a big difference with ligament pain I was suffering. Also using a wedge pillow to support tummy whilst on side in bed ($25 from target) helped. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found doing weekly weight bearing exercises helped with pelvic girdle pain. As you are aware I exercised till 40wks and did weights till then too. It definitely helped my body. I also wore a support belt when at the gym.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had pelvic girdle pain 2nd time around.
    Not over doing it and heavy lifting ( hard with a toddler), no sitting on the floor ( hard with a toddler) and belly belts helped me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi there, I have worn a belt- it did help. swimming also good. of course, see a physio, but the best thing I found was to keep my legs together- no wide leg actions in any direction, so no stretching, lunging, running, as it made the pelvic ligaments more unstable. Physio helped for me up to a point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    hi there, I have worn a belt- it did help. swimming also good. of course, see a physio, but the best thing I found was to keep my legs together- no wide leg actions in any direction, so no stretching, lunging, running, as it made the pelvic ligaments more unstable. Physio helped for me up to a point.
    Yep. Lunges suck but squats are good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, seems like different things work for everyone. I have my OB appt this week so will chat to her as well. Last pregnancy my midwives basically said there wasn't anything I could do to prevent it but I'm hoping there might be.

I do plenty of squats etc already as well as Pilates exercises, didn't think this was a stability issue rather just pain from ligaments stretching. I get the pain when I am swimming also, just stretching my arm (and consequently side body, it's all connected), so it's not just running. I swim up to 2km a session but do find the pain eases a little after I warm up. As a runner I get tight hip flexors and can't help but to wonder if this contributes. I don't do near enough stretching...

If I can't keep running I think I am just going to have to climb my local 'mountain' a few times a week. Missing the energy rush from a good workout!