+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting out the house....

So its been a week of being at home and mr 2.5 going nudie or jocks on... he has been doing poos and wees on either the toilet (with step and little seat) or the potty, with a few accidents. On day 3 we did get out the house for a big walk but i put training pants on him and did ask him if he need the toilet at the park... we got to the toilet and he sat on it but freaked out a bit and wanted off... after we got outside i let him run about with nothing on and he peed on the grass... my question is how do i get out the house in this early period?. i dont really want to confuse him by putting training pants on (which i call jocks anyway) because im afraid of accidents... but i cant stay home until he has got it down lat more..... what are others experiences....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS decided he wanted to wear undies 5 days before we were flying to Singapore for a holiday...not great timing! As I didn't want any accidents on the plane or in another country, I bought those training pull ups - that look like undies (I called them undies) and continued as normal with toilet training.

When we got home I just went back into undies no problems. He didn't seem to be confused by it - he certainly didn't start using them like a nappy.

So, after that long story, what I was going to say, is on those days you know you'll be out & about you could start the day in the training pants (so it's like he's just getting a fresh pair of undies) and go about your merry way (and practice using toilets out of the home). On days that you know you'll be home you could just use regular undies.

Good luck with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    More queries.... we can get undies onto him usually in the morning... but once gone to the toilet he usually doesnt want them back on... he cant (or doesnt try) pull his own jocks down... if he has no jocks on he will go to the potty when he needs when he has the jocks he has sat on potty and weed through them or is usually the time he has the accidents (he starts to pee but can stop and then go on the potty to finish). He was the one to iniatiate using the potty/big toilet so we are going with it. I keep second guessing myself whether doing the right thing... but i tend to follow his lead with things like this cos if he is keen it all wokrs out a lot better....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are pretty well in the same situation and I'm pretty nervous about going out TBH. We started basically a week ago and haven't had any accidents since Sunday (it was DS2's birthday so 20 people here to distract), but we haven't ventured out yet. DS1 is 2 1/2 but pretty cluey and if I put pull up type training nappies on he'd just see them as nappies. I do have a cloth swim nappy by pea pods which has waterproof lining and a little pad thing sewn into it but look like jocks. I was thinking of using that for outings. My main worry is we live semi rural so even a trip to the shop is a half hour drive. Oh well- gotta start somewhere I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As for your second question, DS got interested in using the toilet a few months ago using this urinal thing that attaches to the toilet that a friend gave us but he couldn't quite get it if he was wearing jocks and couldn't remember that jocks weren't a nappy. Fast forward to a week ago and he now gets it totally and is even fine when wearing shorts. He can pull down his pants/jocks and get his own way onto the toilet with a step. I found his language and comprehension is so much better now to so its been far easier. He will be 3 in feb

I don't know what I'd do if I were in your shoes, sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting out the house....

I definitely had to help DS with pulling his undies down when he started - otherwise he took too long and had an accident. It took a bit of practice and better bladder control before he could do it himself.

Not sure about not wanting to put them back on - I guess that just has to be part of the going to the toilet routine that he'll get used to.

ETA: if he initiated it then go with it - if it gets too much for him then you can try at a later date. Once my DS was ready it hardly took any time at all (he was nearly 3). I tried at 2.5yrs because I thought that's just what you did and after ruining a rug with so many accidents I waited till he made the decision.😀
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 09-10-2015 at 12:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has just toilet trained, she is 2 and 4 months. She can't get her undies and pants down by herself I have to help her. She tells me when she needs to go toilet and I help her from there. I don't mind, I figure she will learn the rest in time.
    We went out from day 1 of toilet training. I always sit her on the toilet before we leave then when we get somewhere say 'remember to tell mummy if you need to go toilet'. Often at that point she says she wants to go (probably just to check the toilets out haha) so I take her, often she doesn't do anything but that's ok. If we've been out for a while or are about to leave I'll take her again.
    I was terrified of taking her out and having accidents but I also hate staying home all day so in the end going out won! It's actually been heaps better than I thought, only 2 accidents out, one wee at the beach which didn't matter and another one while we were waiting for the parents room.
    So you never know, your DS might surprise you!