+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How was your child's recovery after tonsils and adenoids removed?

Ds (nearly 5) is having surgery to remove his tonsils, adenoids and possibly insert grommets in two weeks.

If you've been through this, how was your child's recovery? What should I expect in the days afterwards? What pain medication should he have?

Need to know what to expect and any tips to help him please!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing, my 7 year old is having the same thing soon, minus the grommets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The adenoids and grommets shouldn't cause any pain but the tonsils, for some kids can be a bit longer recovery. 3 of my girls have had them removed, took about 2 weeks to recover fully. Day 5 and 10 can be the worst (no idea why). Continue pain meds around the clock for the first week, we would wake ours over night for a quick drink and Pain relief. Our first daughter would sleep all night but wake with the driest, sore throat so the waking would help this.
    2 daughters were treated with night time pain stop and the other was on really strong meds given in a script from the ENT.
    We aren't milk drinkers here but I found when they were in a lot of pain and wouldn't take pain meds, strawberry quik mixed with pain relief was a winner. Food wise, my girls lived on cruskits with cream cheese - it helped to scratch the throat a bit easing the pain/itch.
    Some kids can be completely fine others in a lot of pain so being prepared for either scenario is the best way to be.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (08-10-2015),KitiK  (09-10-2015)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD2 had her tonsils and adenoids out at 4.5 years old. Once she woke up fully she was starving, she ate and ate and ate. She refused all medications, nurses even mashed up panadol into icecream to get her to have some so she could be discharged.

There was no issues with recovery, you wouldn't have even known she'd had surgery.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm interested in knowing this too! we're about to meet with ENT in Brisbane for DD about getting her tonsils etc out. And funnily enough I'm waaaaay more nervous about this than her heart surgery and stuff!
    She is nearly 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also heard that about day 5, Baby G4. Apparently it's because a film that's formed over the wound sites comes off, causing soreness.

Yes hydration is very important to help healing, as I understand it. Good tip to wake them during the night for a drink and medication!!

Rary Girl, I hope my DS has as smooth a recovery as your DD! Sounds awesome!

TamTam, he's getting them out at Lady Cilento. Fingers crossed for a smooth procedure!

He's not being admitted until 11am. How the heck am I going to fast him all morning? He'll be chucking tantrums for food!!

Also got another hearing test tomorrow for a second opinion before the grommets part goes ahead..I suspect they'll be an issue still, he seems hard of hearing at the moment.

I'm petrified of general anaesthetics so a lot of my worry about the surgery is over this. I hope he wakes up alright and doesn't get too nauseous or distressed!!

Sorry that post was rather disjointed. It's getting late!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Waking up from the general was horrible. I could hear her making guttural animal sounds as they lead me to her. The more with it she became the worse it got. She was begging for water and they only let her have tiny bits so she didn't spew. Finally I asked for some ice and that helped, I'm not sure why they didn't offer it.

After about 15mins of screaming she calmed down to sobbing. We got wheeled back to the room. We bought in our own doona and pillow which really helped it feel homey. She had a nap for ten mins and woke up chatty. She drifted in and out through the day. Within an hour of getting to the room she was eating ice cream. We spent a fair bit of time strolling around the hospital aimlessly.

The more food they eat the better the scar heals. So stock up on their favourite foods and let them go nuts. I encouraged my DD to eat, even bought her McDonald's on the way home.

Although we were prescribed stronger medication we only ever needed panadol. She would wake up in pain in the morning but once that kicked in she was fine. She had them out on the Thursday and I sent her back to care on the Tuesday after that. I saw no reason to keep her home. I let her sleep with me for a few nights to keep an eye on her.

So in summary lots of food and drink, and bring your own doona and pillow to the hospital. If they freak out coming out of the general remember it doesn't last.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Bond Girl
    Who is the ENT you're seeing there?
    We've had to go LCCH because of the anesthesia and the cardiac support. She'll need ICU probably.

And I think you'll be surprised how well kids, many of them (i understand this is a generalisation) handle anesthesia. Way better than adults usually!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds had his tonsils and adenoids out shortly after his 5th bday. To be honest, he took it like a champ. I was expecting far worse. We just made sure to stay on top of the pain meds for the week following (just panadol really), but really we struggled to keep him still. He was walking to the car from the hospital the day after surgery and trying to run, walk along walls, jump around, etc. We did make sure he kept eating toast, etc to help the scabbing heal like they suggest. This may have helped? He did seen to have slightly more pain on day 7/8ish but nothing too bad.
    Last edited by Barnaby; 08-10-2015 at 22:32.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.

2 yo DS is having his adenoids out and grommets in next week. I'm starting to get very nervous about it!
    Last edited by Gentoo; 09-10-2015 at 03:35.