+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What a great topic

I'm enjoying being a SAHM more than I thought I would. If fact I was thinking I'd want to return to work quite quickly, now I'm dreading leaving DD in daycare even though that's still 8 months away.

I love my DD so so so much more than I could ever imagine I could love anyone. It did take about a month for that bond to develop, which surprised me. I thought it would be instant.

Labour hurt more than I thought it would.

Breastfeeding (at the start) hurt more than I thought it would.

Motherhood (so far) is easier than I thought it would be. This is very surprising! I think it is because my job was very demanding, stressful and never ending, it makes looking after a baby seem easy, lol. There have been tough moments of course. I'll caveat this by saying I have one child who eats and sleeps well. Not sure if I'd be saying the same if I had two or more!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Is parenthood different to what you expected?

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    What a great topic

I'm enjoying being a SAHM more than I thought I would. If fact I was thinking I'd want to return to work quite quickly, now I'm dreading leaving DD in daycare even though that's still 8 months away.

I love my DD so so so much more than I could ever imagine I could love anyone. It did take about a month for that bond to develop, which surprised me. I thought it would be instant.

Labour hurt more than I thought it would.

Breastfeeding (at the start) hurt more than I thought it would.

Motherhood (so far) is easier than I thought it would be. This is very surprising! I think it is because my job was very demanding, stressful and never ending, it makes looking after a baby seem easy, lol. There have been tough moments of course. I'll caveat this by saying I have one child who eats and sleeps well. Not sure if I'd be saying the same if I had two or more!
    This is exactly me as well!

I worked for 22 years before having DS ( 5 of those in our own business) and DH had to literally force me to take maternity leave a week before having him as I was such a control freak/workaholic and I assumed Id be back at work after 3 months but as soon as he was born any thoughts of work left me and I was a SAHM for 3 years and then only went back 2 days a week after that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is parenthood different to what you expected?

Call me naive- I thought I'd be a domestic goddess, baking treats, healthy meals, would never yell (like my mother!), arts and craft etc
    I would be tired but content and enjoy hanging at home with my beautiful dd whilst on mat leave....

Oh and I thought my dog was my little girl and that would never change.... But I could of honestly booted her over the fence at times when she was barking and dd was napping!

How wrong I was lol! Love love love dd and dh and my life but I'm tired and cranky at times and not in control as I wanted to be

Eta: I must enjoy it though (or just a glutton for punishment) as I'm just about to pop out another bundle of joy a lot sooner than I imagined!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 08-10-2015 at 18:39.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (10-10-2015),JustJaq  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought I'd be the perfect stepford mum. Reality is that I can't handle being home FT and I need to work PT to stay sane.

But the rest happened as expected....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    . I know that probably sounds pathetic to the working mums who are probably tut tutting at my lack of career drive now but that's how I feel.
    Not at all. I need to work outside of the home to stay sane however can totally get why some prefer to stay home full time

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (08-10-2015),JustJaq  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes and no.

Being a mum is what I always wanted to do. I always wanted to be a long term SAHM and I am. I am blessed that my husband wanted this too. I always knew I wasn't going to be the prefect mum. No one in my life was so I assumed I would be either. I was blessed that I had lots of new mums in my life as teen.

No. I didn't expect to have my family over 20 years. I didn't expect it to be this hard. I didn't expect to kids with extra needs.

Parenting is way harder than I expected.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's hard super hard. With 2 children I found it just about manageable but with my 3rd also having special needs I am finding it super tough. There are days I feel like I'm crumbling apart. It's harder than I could have imagined but most likely due to a different path with my DS who is severely disabled.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually I never expected or realised how motherhood would change and affect me as a person. I thought I'd still be ME, but as a mother as well.
    It changed my relationships with everyone- DH, parents, friends, colleagues. Things that used to be important to me didn't matter any more. Priorities changed. How I reacted to things changed. How I viewed people and events. I also have less time and patience for things. I'm more confident and assertive when I need to step up.
    I expected it to be life changing but not change me so dramatically.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (18-10-2015),Cue  (08-10-2015),JustJaq  (08-10-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never expected the huge range of emotions a child could evoke. From they are annoying the living crap out of me and I can't stand them right now to oh my gosh I love this precious child more than words can express. That really throw me! Everything else has been pretty on par with my expectations

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-10-2015),JustJaq  (08-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    I never expected the huge range of emotions a child could evoke. From they are annoying the living crap out of me and I can't stand them right now to oh my gosh I love this precious child more than words can express. That really throw me! Everything else has been pretty on par with my expectations
    So agree! The fact that this range of emotion can literally happen in a split second as well!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-10-2015),MINIRoo  (08-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-10-2015)