+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default VBACs and large babies

Hello ladies,

just wondering if anyone had a successful VBAC with a big baby (9lb+)
    My fundal height was measuring 41cm at 36 weeks (I think my due date is wrong but that's a whole other story) I was sent for a scan at 37 weeks only to be told that my baby is 9lb already! So I have a couple of questions:

1. Will they try induce me or let me go into labour naturally or push for a repeat c-section?

2. Is it possible to VBAC a larger baby?

3. If you had to do it over, would you VBAC again or would you choose a c-section?

I don't have a doctors appointment until Monday to discuss the results and this has really put a dent in my VBAC plans

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i wouldn't take ''size wise'' as true fact. many women get told they have a big baby when in fact it's just average size. i know with my first child she was meant to be ''huge'' - was average, my last child was ''average'' and was born over 4kgs and 59.5cm in size. and that was a vba2C.. certainly not average. go with your gut feeling (no pun intended.)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (09-10-2015),Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my girls were large ... 4.41kg and 4.2kg and I had a VBAC ... (:

My 3rd was meant to be a VBAC .. he ended up turning after they broke my water and was breach so I had a csection with him.. he was 4.52kg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emmiejayne For This Useful Post:

Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My firstborn ecs bub was (8lb 14oz) (4.03kg). My vbac baby was 10lb 2oz (4.59kg), 57cm long with a 39cm hc. Don't let size scare you. It was amazing and there's no way I would ever choose a rcs after experiencing that. I will be having my second vbac in January. This baby has measured slightly ahead at both my nuchal and morph scan but I won't be having any more scans now so we'll see how big it is when it comes out. Sizing estimates through scans are notoriously inaccurate so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor for vbac.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If bubs size is your only factor... go rock that vbac!!

I was to attempt my vbac in april this year. but i had a few extra things going against me. i had a high BMI. and high bp and my first labour (that ended in csection) stalled at 6cm.

in hindsight I'm sure its because i got an epi at 3cm as it was 8pm and id been awake since 10am the day before. waters broke but no contractions at 1am as i was heading to bed...then i was too excited to sleep...so when things actually started around 5pm...i was too tired.

anyway... my hospital wouldn't induce vbacs, they wouldn't help by giving cintocin.

my first was 9lb. my second was constantly ahead, growing ahead further each scan. on the friday at 38 weeks he was estimated 10lb 4oz. Hc 36cm.

with my ob who is pro vbac and had stood up to another ob and mws who were doubtful (also has a good vbac rep)....we discussed the likelihood of success and i decided against it at the last minute and had a scheduled csection at 38+5. Bubba was 10lb 1oz, 53cm long and 37cm hc.

i am a bit sad i never attempted my vbac. the morning of my csection was really emotional.thinking of my oldest and the risks. my biggest fear was the anesthetic and if there were complications eith it. i had a spinal. i was up within 7hrs. recovery was pretty much the same but i recover well.

If i go back for #3 I'm wanting to be soo much fitter, and attempt a vbac.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I haven't had a vbac (ended up needing a csec with bub 2 as well) however when I was chatting with the obstetrician about possibly having a VBAC I asked him about bubs size. The OB said unless there are additional medical factors size won't matter - very few women grow babies they can't birth naturally. I also asked if there was a point (40 weeks, 41 etc) where they would induce and he said no. Unless there are additional medical complications there is no need to induce - induction can cause more harm than good.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-10-2015),Leettieb  (09-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had successful VBAC with my second child.
    My first was 9 pounds and they never discussed the whole ' big baby' issue with me at all however did inform me that they won't induce due to previous c section so I had to start labour myself or a c section would be done at 10-12 days overdue. I started labour myself at 6 days over and birthed my boy who was 10 pound 2 ( 4.633 kg) although we had major issues with a shoulder dystocia. Baby got stuck and came out flat but all ok in the end.

However fast forward another 15 months and pregnant with my third- doctor wasn't keen on a VBAC due to previous shoulder issue. Had a growth scan at 36 weeks which said baby was going to be big 96%. So I went for a planned c section. Baby was born at 39.2 weeks and already weighed 9 pound 6 ( 4.3 kilo) so probably would have been very big at 41 weeks if I had waited for labour.

It was a hard choice and I would have VBAC again if I hadn't had the shoulder issue- it was more the reason we went c section not the bigger baby. If I hadn't had shoulder issues I would if at least tried a VBAC again. Big babies are always harder to birth- really depends on your labour, body and babies position.

Good luck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just butting in. Whilst I've never had a cs- I just missed one with dd1. She was 4kg 38cm head and got stuck as she was posterior with her head flexed up (and I was not aware of positioning prior and laboured on the bed). My ob managed to get her chin down and rotated her out. It was high stress and I did lose faith in myself.

Fast forward and 5 days ago I birthed a 4.5kg 38cm HC baby in 2.5hrs with no tears/issues because I was mobile and on all fours when I birthed her. It was a very very easy birth.

My tip for a big baby - stay mobile!!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-10-2015),Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced for vbac nearly 3 weeks ago with cooks catheter at38+4 due to gestational diabetes. They put it in at 6pm then the next morning broke my waters and put me on a low dose synto drip. I ended up needing an emergency csection that night due to bub being in distress and suspected uterine rupture. My bub was only 7lb 6oz and 49cm though

17. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

Leettieb  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Just butting in. Whilst I've never had a cs- I just missed one with dd1. She was 4kg 38cm head and got stuck as she was posterior with her head flexed up (and I was not aware of positioning prior and laboured on the bed). My ob managed to get her chin down and rotated her out. It was high stress and I did lose faith in myself.

Fast forward and 5 days ago I birthed a 4.5kg 38cm HC baby in 2.5hrs with no tears/issues because I was mobile and on all fours when I birthed her. It was a very very easy birth.

My tip for a big baby - stay mobile!!!
    Congratulations mumma and well done!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2015)