+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's in your green smoothie?

Just wondering what everyone puts in their green breakfast smoothie? I was thinking of spinach and avocado and maybe broccoli but not sure what else would taste nice. Also, how do you stop getting hungry? Do you add any nuts or other protein? I don't do smoothies so I don't know where to start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My favourite right now is kale, baby spinach, avocado, cucumber (peeled, I don't like the taste of the skin in smoothies), banana, really ripe pear, mango, 1/2 handful of cashews and a tsp of chia seeds. It is filling enough to replace a meal.
    Most other fruits are good in place of those listed, but freeze as much of it as you can - the colder, the better! I find when its room temp, you can taste the veggies more.
    I try to have at least half veggies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My favourite is coconut water, kale, frozen pineapple, mint, chia seeds and lime juice yum yum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Water, green superfood powder, green apple, baby spinach, frozen broccoli and handful of ice cubes. I have this with 1/4 cup of muesli with a few berries on top and a dash of milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually mine has the below:
    Spinach
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Lemon
    Half a Granny Smith Apple
    Pineapple
    1 kiwi fruit

Today I tried spinach, strawberries, kiwi and coconut water. It was ok but didn't love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine changes depending on what I have in the fridge. I would definitely use coconut water as a base. Then add:
    Half-one frozen banana
    Baby Spinach or kale (baby spinach is better if you are new to this, flavour not so strong)
    Half a lemon or lime
    Half a Lebanese cucumber
    Handful of mint
    Handful ice cubes

Avo is great to add healthy fat. And/or nuts such as cashews, chia seeds, pepitas etc. sometimes I add an ice cube of frozen coconut cream (especially if I have added pineapple - yum!).

I think start simple. Figure out what flavours you like and gradually change ratio of fruit to veg as you get used to the taste. Start with more fruit, less veg.

You can get fancy and add spirulina or other super foods. I like to top mine with a teaspoon of cacao nibs for crunch.

And keep in mind if you add red fruits like strawberries it might go brown... Still tastes good though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    sometimes I add an ice cube of frozen coconut cream (especially if I have added pineapple - yum!).
    Great idea! I have a bowl of coconut cream in my fridge that I used 1/4 of a cup from for a recipe, definitely freezing it for smoothies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    F

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kale
    1 lemon
    Celery rib
    2 oranges
    And spring water. Doesn't sound like much but it tastes nice and is suppose to detox your liver