+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family car

Hello mums

I'm after your suggestions for a family car. We have Bub 2 due early next year and our DS will be 2.

Probably just a sedan, the thought of driving an SUV or something bigger is a bit daunting to me! Looking for a car with enough room for 2 car seats comfortably plus space for all the added extras that go along with kiddies. We're not quite sure whether we want a new or second hand and haven't really set a budget yet - just wanted to get some ideas from experienced parents 😊

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Will you be having more kids? I'd factor this in as with 3 - although doable - it would be a tight squeeze in a sedan and I wouldn't want to get something now to fit your family of 4 to have to upgrade again in a couple of years

Thanks
    Reviews
    It isn't in our plan to have any more after this one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we're looking at a larger family car right now (currently driving an Audi A3 which is too small in the back seat for a bubba/getting in and out etc) and these are the ones we looked at:

Kia Sportage
    Mazda CX-5
    Renault Koleos
    VW Tiguan
    Volvo XC60

hubby loves the last option and I'm happy with the last 2. mainly they have more safety features and we like/are used to euro cars. the Renault was horrible, the Mazda was ok but they're pretty pricey and we felt like it felt quite heavy/draggy on the road (it's nice to have a bit of zip when you put your foot down to overtake lol) and the Kia was good value (but the Volvo and VW were a nicer drive).

the Kia prob represents the best value and you can pick up a brand new base model for about $26k.

the Volvo we were looking at is a 2012 model but it's top of the range and represents good value at the $39990 price point.

we're still undecided but the Volvo is prob the fave at the moment.

I'm a tad freaked out at driving a much larger car too but they all have the reversing cameras and parking sensors etc plus I reckon you'll adjust pretty quickly.

have you taken anything for a test drive yet??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I traded in my Nissan x-trail for a Subaru Forester a few months ago.
    I'm now a subaru convert! It's an SUV, plenty of room, very easy to put car seats in, but still fairly small and easy to manoeuvre. It has 3 anchor points in case you ever need an extra seat.
    We test drove the Nissan x-trail, Mazda CX-5 & Ford Kuga. Forester came out on top by a long way.
    DH has a Kluger as his work car - it's lovely, good for long trips but way too big for me to happily drive around every day.
    I don't think I would ever go back to a sedan now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a commodore with a new born and toddler.
    With the pram, nappy bag and 2 car seats there's honestly not a lot of room and it's meant to be a big car! We are looking at a 7 seater ( will purchase in a year or two when I'm back at work) as we are planning a 3rd at least. even if that doesn't happen we will soon be at school with friends, school bags, sports equipment etc
    We are looking at the ford territory, and Everest and the Toyota kluger

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm driving a Mitsubishi ASX turbo diesel. Love it. Plenty of room for car seats and pram etc. I have enough room that I can do full grocery shops and no need to take out the pram etc.

I'm very happy with our family car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2005 RAV4 for sale atm. I decided to go smaller as it's just me and my daughter(12). I bought a new car with some inheritance. I still love the Rav though. It's roomy but small. It's easier to park than my new car as its higher. Iv upgraded the stereo to have Bluetooth connectivity and a reversing camera. I'm in Adelaide though. My sis has one too with a lil one, was amazing how much she could fit in it when we all had to go away on a trip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've just traded our Mitsubishi Challenger as we now have three children (went for a 7 seater Pajero). The Challenger was awesome when we just had the two kids. It's honestly so easy to drive it just feels like a sedan that's higher up off the road. I had a Toyota Camry prior to my Challenger and it was no more difficult to manoeuvre or park than the Camry. Massive boot space and the diesel model is great on fuel. Loved it 👍🏻

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    we're looking at a larger family car right now (currently driving an Audi A3 which is too small in the back seat for a bubba/getting in and out etc) and these are the ones we looked at:

Kia Sportage
    Mazda CX-5
    Renault Koleos
    VW Tiguan
    Volvo XC60

hubby loves the last option and I'm happy with the last 2. mainly they have more safety features and we like/are used to euro cars. the Renault was horrible, the Mazda was ok but they're pretty pricey and we felt like it felt quite heavy/draggy on the road (it's nice to have a bit of zip when you put your foot down to overtake lol) and the Kia was good value (but the Volvo and VW were a nicer drive).

the Kia prob represents the best value and you can pick up a brand new base model for about $26k.

the Volvo we were looking at is a 2012 model but it's top of the range and represents good value at the $39990 price point.

we're still undecided but the Volvo is prob the fave at the moment.

I'm a tad freaked out at driving a much larger car too but they all have the reversing cameras and parking sensors etc plus I reckon you'll adjust pretty quickly.

have you taken anything for a test drive yet??
    I have an XC60 and love it. I had to put 3 car seats in the back so it's very squishy. When I put 3 in my mums territory it's so easy! Like first class! My only issue with the Volvo is as the kids get older I don't think it will be big enough. I'm tall and have my seat back all the way, my DD1 is 4 and has to squeeze past to get to the middle seat. Excellent fuel economy in the diesel though.

OP I would look at one of the Kia's as the come with a 7 year warranty now. You can't argue with that! Or the room in a territory is amazing and would suit a growing family.

You really won't feel the bigger car because of all the extra sensors and stuff you can put on. I'm sure at first it will feel weird but you will adjust quickly.