+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do it in my sister's estate similar to how Leetieeb described it. We put notes and balloons in the neighbours letterboxes the week before and tell them to put the balloon on their postbox if they want to participate. We have been doing this for 5 years running and it has become HUGE- at least 50 kids come from all around to participate and SO MANY of the houses put out balloons that last year was the first year we had to stop trick or treating (too many bags of candy) before we got to them all!!

My sister and I grew up in the U.S. I don't understand the Australian aversion to the holiday. It's the MOST fun holiday of all. I am glad we have carried on the tradition with our kids.

I am going as Carmen Sandiago this year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. I'm not overly fond of the idea & in any case, DH hates it so no chance in this house lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    Nope. I'm not overly fond of the idea & in any case, DH hates it so no chance in this house lol
    Same. DH is passionately against it, I don't really care and DD is only 2 so I haven't really given it much thought. We moved into a new area this year so it will be interesting to see what people do around here; no one in our old area really did anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is too young really. But even if she wasn't I'm not into it at all. So I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids will probably get a halloween tshirt or something fun to wear on the day. We don't do trick or treating, it's not really a big thing where I am, if I was on a cute street that got into it we probably would too. There is a big halloween party held at wynnum that we went to once, might go again this year if we remember. Forgot last year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. We don't participate in Halloween full stop.

My poor 4 year old dd was so traumatized by some of the scary and bloody costumes, masks etc we seen in a store a couple of weeks ago that she's been having nightmares about halloween.

I don't get the attraction of it all tbh. Doesn't sit right with me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Cardi  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take my nephews every year, we mostly go to houses that gave the decorations out the front and there's a lot in my area.
    I find it so much fun and brings out the community to talk and interact together.
    This year I'll be pregnant so we will see how long we go for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't seem to really be a done thing around our place but it's really hit and miss. A few years back we had a few trick or treaters but I forgot about halloween and didn't have anything to give them. Every year since I've bought things for it but no one has come back , it seems to be the years I don't have anything they come!

If it was a done thing in the neighbourhood I think we'd probably get into it. My dad was super against it when we were growing up but I think it's a fun, cute thing for little ones to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and my kids get right into it and love dressing up and going trick or treating, in the last few years I have managed to get pretty good at special effects make up the kids have actually won a few costume comps too . October 31st is also DS2s birthday so we always have extended family over for a early dinner and cake and then all the kids (8 in total) and DH get all decked out and go off around the estate we live in while my sister and I stay and hand out lollies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like it,this obsession with vampires and ghosts and zombies blah blah doesn't sit right with me either. My son has gone trick or treating in the past but I'm not keen.