+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Nursing placement advice please

Please keep us updated op, I hope you're going well.
    This behaviour isn't on and again I'm sorry you're going through this

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much for the advice and replies.

I actually wrote a huge reply the other day but it wouldn't post it for some reason.

I did talk to the nurse manager of the department whilst on placement multiple times about the issue I was having and the comments being made and all she said was 'that's no good, but you're almost finished' type thing.... she never tried to address these issues.

the nurse manager and my facilitator are the 2 main issues here, they both have an issue with not believing my heritage etc since day one.... they have made things very difficult for me even giving me the most horrendous feedback to my topic coordinator saying I refuse to do anything but play games on the computer, won't change nappies, talk to patients or parents etc... which is so far from true.

I have tried to explain this to the uni but of course they are inclined to believe the hospital.

I was contacted by the uni to start a new placement at a different hospital next month so I will be doing that and be able to finish this year thankfully.

so having been offered a new placement sooner than I thought I think I'll just stick to making a complaint to the hospital about the staff.

My confidence has really taken a beating in regards to my practice having read the interim report the facilitator and nurse manager wrote giving me an 'unsafe for practice' in every category.... though I know this is not true as I said my last placement I got a distinction. I feel these 2 ladies gave me those marks not based on my actual knowledge and practice but their personal feelings about me.

the uni has told me to seek help from a councilor to develop strategies to deal with this in the future.

I also might seek help from a speech therapist to help me get an 'australian accent'

I did love the picture post to this thread by the way.

please don't quote I will dele later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Nursing placement advice please

Wow I think the Uni is really out of line - telling you to get counselling so you can manage yourself when people actively discriminate against you - WTF! Talk about institutionalising bigotry!

I know this is the last thing you probably have the energy for OP but really what's happening here with you is awful. Please write a formal complaint to the hospital citing dates/times/quotes of what you have experienced with specific names. I hate to think that people like this get away with such revolting behaviour.

Good luck for the new placement! I'm glad you will get to finish this year! I think it's terribly sad that you feel you need to get speech lessons to change your accent
    Last edited by babyla; 13-10-2015 at 07:18.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (13-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (13-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Wow I think the Uni is really out of line - telling you to get counselling so you can manage yourself when people actively discriminate against you - WTF! Talk about institutionalising bigotry!

I know this is the last thing you probably have the energy for OP but really what's happening here with you is awful. Please write a formal complaint to the hospital citing dates/times/quotes of what you have experienced with specific names. I hate to think that people like this get away with such revolting behaviour.

Good luck for the new placement! I'm glad you will get to finish this year! I think it's terribly sad that you feel you need to get speech lessons to change your accent
    This. All of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um so can they not see the inconsistency with previous placements scores? you have been given highest marks previously and now all of a sudden you're no longer even safe to practice? I would point out that your previous pracs have all resulted in amazing results. You're fortunate at least you have this data.
    It's great you're offered another placement so soon but again if you were such a risk surely they would nt risk giving you this opportunity. Sorry I smell a cover up from their behalf. I
    Would hate to be a Muslim patient or another staff member at that hospital. In this day and age it's not acceptable

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Without naming and shaming is this a public or private ? Would it be worth going to your local member of its public?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope it's sorted op

Thanks
    Reviews
    just a little update. .

ive done a few weeks at my new placement and I can honestly say..

its amazing
    I'm in the icu of the major hospital in my state and I feel so welcome. . like im part of the team .. no one makes rude comments to me or says nasty things. . in fact they say nice things they involve me in their conversations and talk to me at lunch.
    it makes me want to cry how sweet and helpful the staff are.

I was telling my partner about how they are at this hospital and

he says you're acting like it's the nicest thing in the world but it's just how normal people are.

And this placement has made me see just how badly I was treated at my last placement, it was disgraceful and I honestly thought that I had a mental problem or something wrong with me because of how people were being to me and I was really depressed from that.

But I actually smile at this placement I feel like a new person.

thank you all so much for all the messages and advice... now I look back I can see that I really must do all I can to complain about the nurses I had to deal with.

thank you all so so much

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ieatshavingscum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-11-2015),babyla  (08-11-2015),babyno1onboard  (06-11-2015),Carpe diem 2013  (07-11-2015),Happymum2  (06-11-2015),M'LadyEm  (06-11-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (06-11-2015),maternidade  (06-11-2015),Mrs Snowman  (06-11-2015),mummymaybe  (06-11-2015),Once Upon a Time  (07-11-2015),Papillon  (07-11-2015),sunnyflower  (06-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to hear op! Good luck with it all!