+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Completely unsatisfactory response from the uni, why would they want their students going there anyway if they're going to be mistreated. Did they propose you do placement at the same or different institution next year?
    Agree with others go over their head, this is discrimination and I'm sorry you're subjected to it in this day and age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ieatshavingscum View Post
    update

thanks for the replies and advice.

I went to a meeting with my topic coordinator this morning as she emailed me saying she wants to see me.

anyway... basically she was going to put me on a contract for my placement but when I told her how things have been she withdrew Me from my placement and has said I will have to start again next year. she did say that I didn't deserve the things that had been said but that she can't complain or they won't take any students from my uni.

I'm so upset that this is how things are that you can't address an issue because it will impact other students future placements.
    wtf!? that's BS. I'm so sorry you're going through this. this is blatant discrimination.

I'd be making an appointment with someone higher up at your uni. like the vice chancellor or something.

that's disgusting that she's going to condone discrimination to ensure future students from your uni are accepted for placements at this hospital!!

keep pushing the uni to advocate on your behalf. take it as high up as you need to. I'd start with the head of school then if they're useless, talk to someone higher up.

don't let this slide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I'm Muslim too and had placements while at Uni (teaching) and had to deal with some of what you've described, particularly the obsession with "where are you from". It's so disheartening and upsetting!

I have no other advice for you, I think there's been some excellent suggestions in this thread. Please take the advice you've been given and go above your coordinator's head; your university has absolutely failed you on this and it's outrageous.

Also I would name and shame the hospital and department. This woman has acted disgustingly and it seems the rest of the department are no better; as a Muslim I would hate to be a patient there, I can only imagine how I'd be treated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely not good enough response from your uni. The hospital preceptor is bullying you and you are being punished? I would speak to someone higher than your subject co-ordinator and get in contact with the ANMF and student union for support.
    Completely inappropriate behaviour from your preceptor. You can't judge a student on their first week. Most of the time they hardly know where the toilet is and who the other nurses on the ward are. Not to mention the blatant racism. Wtaf. I'm angry just thinking about it. I worked in a very multi cultural hospital and ED. Asking where someone is from was just conversation and an out of interest thing because there were people from everywhere and everyone was interested in others experiences. If someone seemed uncomfortable talking about it, you didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Now I'm hoping I haven't offended someone with an accent or different skin colour by asking where they/their family is from...... I'm just genuinely interested!!
    Yes but to be pressed over and over isn't on, especially when you say you and your parents were born in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    For me, I don't mind if I've developed a friendship with someone, or a good working relationship and in context they might politely enquire where my family is from, that doesn't offend me.

What upsets me is when it's automatically assumed you're an outsider based on your skin colour or appearance. When you're in a group of caucasian people and you're the only asked 'so where are you from'. Maybe I need a thicker skin but it annoys me. I know plenty of Caucasian people who have recently immigrated while I've lived in Australia since I was a couple of months old, but to some people (and sounds like this supervisor woman is one of them) I would have less of a right to call Australia home, in that context it's very upsetting.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (11-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (07-10-2015),Tiny Dancer  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    to be pressed over and over about your "Australian-ness", at a first meeting/intro session in front of a bunch of other people, is deplorable. how humiliating and demeaning. the ignoramus doing it was obviously trying to make you feel demeaned and marginalized. I'm shocked anyone would behave that way. like what a shiit person they are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go further. This is not acceptable. Sure it's a good idea to be withdrawn from this placement but they can't expect you to just start your placement all over again next year. No way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, i work as a facilitator for a Uni, & agree that this is not good enough. As others have suggested - document it all in a diary - include times, places, & any witnesses to what happened. It is also important to record how each of these events/interactions have made you feel.

You have spoken to your coordinator - the next step would be to meet with the Dean of the nursing school - make it clear you are experiencing racial intolerance on your placement - essentially the Uni is failing in it's duty of care.

Also- i agree with meeting with the NUM of your ward to dicuss your experience with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I saw this today and it reminded me of the conversation in this thread 😅

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1444443471.315883.jpg
    Attached Images