+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am horrified that you have been treated like this. It's disgraceful.

I truly hope you aren't withdrawn and you can continue.

I hope you get a positive outcome from it all.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the very best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a (much, much smaller) issue on my final teaching prac and I was convinced that I was going to be failed by my supervising teacher. I went to the uni and had a meeting there and then they sent out a rep to come and visit my school and discuss with me and my supervisor. I highly recommend t you get onto the coordinator of pracs at your uni asap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by ieatshavingscum; 06-01-2016 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ieatshavingscum View Post
    update

thanks for the replies and advice.

I went to a meeting with my topic coordinator this morning as she emailed me saying she wants to see me.

anyway... basically she was going to put me on a contract for my placement but when I told her how things have been she withdrew Me from my placement and has said I will have to start again next year. she did say that I didn't deserve the things that had been said but that she can't complain or they won't take any students from my uni.

I'm so upset that this is how things are that you can't address an issue because it will impact other students future placements.
    Gosh, were you placed at a public or private hospital?

It's great that she withdrew you from the placement but it also seems as though she is tacitly (or explicitly even) condoning biggoted and highly unprofessional behaviour.

Wouldn't the hospital want to know about a staff member who acts contrary to their expectations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, how awful for you be treated that way. Given the latest update, if I was in your shoes I would be emailing the HR (or similar) department of the hospital and inform them of the way you were treated. Why the uni would even want to send students there for placement when they get treated like you have is beyond me. But I definitely think you need to inform someone higher up at the hospital.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (07-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ieatshavingscum View Post
    update

thanks for the replies and advice.

I went to a meeting with my topic coordinator this morning as she emailed me saying she wants to see me.

anyway... basically she was going to put me on a contract for my placement but when I told her how things have been she withdrew Me from my placement and has said I will have to start again next year. she did say that I didn't deserve the things that had been said but that she can't complain or they won't take any students from my uni.

I'm so upset that this is how things are that you can't address an issue because it will impact other students future placements.
    This is total crap. You need to go to the course coordinator for your degree not just the topic coordinator, student advisor, uni counseling service and your vice chancellor (the head of the university). If things are exactly as you say they are (eg 100% no performance issues) then this is racial discrimination by BOTH the hospital and your topic/placement coordinator which is against the LAW. They cannot withdraw you and penalize you for something that is not your fault. Also not sure which state you're in but it's likely the hospital (unless private) has no say in taking students from the uni. In any case raising a legitimate complaint should not jeopardize the relationship and is a serious issue to be addressed.
    Why were they going to put you on a contract? Keep anything they have given you in writing/email about this. If there are legitimate serious performance concerns that can be substantiated then you have less of a case but if it is a grudge based only on perceived racial background then they are in the wrong and are obligated to help you not essentially kick you out and say too hard.
    I work in a university (not in nursing but in health and we have placements) and I am sure this would never happen at my uni. If it did and I found out about it I would be like a dog with a bone on this and would take it all the way as it is simply unacceptable. There will be someone at your uni who can advocate for you.
    You need to take this further. If you would like advice as to how to do this feel free to PM me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-10-2015),harvs  (07-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not acceptable from the hospital or Uni. Go and see student services about this. Tell your co-ordinator that this response is unsatisfactory and you will be seeking further advice. I've worked at a Uni and placed students (teaching) and if any students complained about this kind of treatment and were told what you were told there would be huge dramas. The role of the Uni is to be your advocate at best and mediator at worst - this is just them washing their hands and saying too hard. Don't settle for this discrimination OP!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely agree with all that's been said. You definitely shouldn't be penalised for this, and withdrawing you from the unit and not addressing the issues is absolutely not ok.
    I had to be withdrawn from a placement in another field (mental health issues), and I was told I would be failed. My unit coordinator and course coordinator were the same person, so I went over them to the school's Dean - failing me for illness was completely unfair. You could also address it through the complaints process of the uni. Student services could assist if you can't find anyone else who will help.

Failing assistance from the uni, I would lodge a complaint with the hospital itself - or maybe do it also.

Gather your documentation. Try and get some statements from the other students or witnesses to the events as well. Take a support person to each meeting as a witness to what is discussed.

I am horrified that this is how you were treated, and angry on your behalf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Not acceptable from the hospital or Uni. Go and see student services about this. Tell your co-ordinator that this response is unsatisfactory and you will be seeking further advice. I've worked at a Uni and placed students (teaching) and if any students complained about this kind of treatment and were told what you were told there would be huge dramas. The role of the Uni is to be your advocate at best and mediator at worst - this is just them washing their hands and saying too hard. Don't settle for this discrimination OP!
    Exactly this! My uni would not get away with such a lousy response to this situation. You can (and should!) demand better. You should be able to finish 3rd yr this yr. I would settle for no less.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that's rubbish. Essentially them not wanting to go to the hassle of following this up correctly will cost you. It will cost you time, lost earnings and course fees. That is totally unacceptable and I'd be taking this further until you came to a resolution which didn't disadvantage you in such a dramatic way because of someone else's judgemental bullshiz