+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nursing placement advice please

preciated
    Last edited by ieatshavingscum; 06-01-2016 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be requesting a meeting with the Uni myself. I highly doubt that if you told them everything that has been happening that they would penalise you, rather than transferring your placement. Have you been documenting all of the incidents?

In my nearly 10 years since graduating I've worked with lots and lots of students and could never really tell you what they were like until they'd done a week at least, nerves and just getting used to the place takes plenty of time then you get a feel for what someone's knowledge is like and there willingness to learn. I've had great students and some that have failed. I've also worked with students to report there supervisor for unprofessional conduct which was taken extremely seriously by the Uni.

If I was you I would ring the course supervisor and make a meeting and bring this all up before the hospital placement supervisor has a chance to.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would ask for a meeting with someone in your nursing department, whoever looks after students in placement. Your preceptor is being totally inappropriate , it's not relevant where your family come from, and to pull you from a lecture to ask you that is just wierd. Is there any other students that can back your story ? Also can you ask the nurses that have been working with you to back your story ? I would ask that the person you have the meeting with talk to other students and the nurses you have been working with.

The preceptor is being a racist bully. Don't let her get away with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would agree that the behavior is inappropriate and would speak to someone from uni ASAP.
    That way they can see you have noticed an issue and tried to address it before it's just their word against yours.
    Hopefully this resolves for you, you shouldn't have to be dealing with this! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Omg...I am gob-smacked by this behaviour. I am so sorry that you have been treated this way. I really hope that you get some support from the Uni asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow completely inappropriate. I would definitely be going back to the university and talking to someone, they may have had similar complaints about the hospital in the past. before you do that If you haven't done so yet I would write down everything that has happened so that you can:

-ensure its all there

- that you haven't missed anything

- ensure that the evidence is factual ( as in no emotion just facts x said this to y then this happened statements)

-next to these factual statements write emotion ie I felt intimidated and alienated when xyz said this to me.

Do you have any friends in the group that you can talk to and get statements from or as its placement is it all just a mix of random students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is awful. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Please go to your uni and report this horrible person because if this is happening to you I can guarantee it's either happened or will happen to someone else. Bullying and intimidation, and this is what this is, should never be tolerated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what all the others have been saying, please call your uni ASAP & arrange a meeting. Have they given you a number you can ring or someone you can get in touch with if anything like this happens?

If you arrange a meeting I would take a support person with you. Also write everything down so if you get nervous & forget you can refer to your notes.

Would you be able to email something to the right person at your uni so they have something in writing too?

Hopefully they'll be able to transfer you to a different section or hospital so you can complete what you need to.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have no advice I'm afraid but agree with all of the previous posts. document as much as you can and set up a meeting with your course co-ordinator to discuss.

there's no way they can penalize you.

I'm so sorry that in this day and age, medical professionals within a supposed "caring" and people oriented industry would treat you with such ignorance and derision. i can only imagine how hurtful and upsetting it must be.

hope the course co-ordinator is able to help you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is so horrible. I'm so sorry to have been subject to such bullsh!t pathetic behaviour. It's disgusting how they are treating you. My advice would be to:

Document everything that has happened including date, time, locations, etc.
    Talk to some of the other students, maybe some that your friends with, and find out how much of this they have witnessed. It may end up in she said / she said situation so witnessed are important.
    Take this information to the university.

I'm so sorry you have been a victim of this bullying.

I think the attitude of some Australians has gone backwards in the past 10 years. 😡