+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

Default Struggling with my seven year old boy.

My DS1 will be turning eight in February and over the last couple of months he has become moody and surly. He's lied to me and is just quite unpleasant to be around. I do still get to glimpse the funny, cheeky, affectionate beautiful boy that he's always been and I know they have to grow up and change but I just feel like I don't know how to parent him through these changes. He won't talk to me about what's going on in his head. So I guess I'm just after advice, reassurance, book suggestions - anything really!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't have much advice but this what I try to do.

Love them through it. Keep the parenting the same as in keep up your expectations of him. Be consistent as you can. But let your love shine through. It's age where they really need some good strong firm undeniable mum loves me moments. So hug him. Try and get some one on one time.

Take a special interest in his interest even if listening to makes you want to grate your ears off with a cheese grater. As you might have guessed I can't stand some ds1 interest but I listen and ask questions and general be involved.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to suggest some one on one time too doing something fun. Maybe he's been thrown by your operation? Or maybe just a few fun family outings?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks girls.
    I think he is craving some one on one time so DH and I will really have to make the effort to have some quality time doing things he's interested in.
    I do think that all the stuff that's happened with me over the last couple of years has definitely had an impact on him.
    Sometimes I just want my babies back - this growing up business is hard!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS has just turned 9 and oh my goodness! He switches between angry, indignant, emotional and happy all in a 30 sec period. He gets attention but wants more and doesn't always care what kind of attention as long as it's something. He is incapable of amusing himself or playing with anything if the computer doesn't factor in so I have expanded his sports (I'm now running around like a headless chook!) but I didn't know what else to do. Most of the attitude stuff started around 7, although he's always wanted attention and constant company since he was a baby.

I know you have been through an awful lot and I hope this comes across right but I think you'll find it's an age thing - from what I've read you've handled your sickness amazingly and I wouldn't be surprised if you were facing this even without it. I can safely say I don't understand boys!