+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting IVF process, looking for advice

I am undergoing an IVF/ICSI cycle with Life Fertility Brisbane. I have been taking my medication and had my trigger injection last night. I am scheduled for EPU tomorrow morning and I'm nervous as heck! What am I in for? Anyone have any advice or info that will make me better prepared?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @mb83, good on you for taking the IVF plunge, it is an extremely difficult thing to go through emotionally but physically it's not too bad (well that's what I found anyway). Are you having egg collection under local or general anaesthetic? I had my first round under local which was okay but found that I was so nervous and tense that being awake for the procedure stressed me out even more so subsequent rounds went general. My biggest advice would be to draw on the positives of whatever outcome you have (eg if you don't have many eggs fertilise just remind yourself that you only need one to work), and focus on the present, not 'what if'... Let your nurse know about any concerns you have, they are very understanding of first timers 😊 The worst part of the whole thing is the wait after implantation, try to plan some things to do during that time (finish that book, go see a movie, go shopping, anything to try and stop yourself going crazy thinking about it!) We went through 3 IVF cycles before achieving pregnancy, and now have the most beautiful 9 week old DD to show for it All the very very best of luck to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @jbert. I'm going under local... Which I'm starting to regret. I'm already an anxious person and I think I'll be the same as you - being awake will give me more opportunity to freak myself out. I'll have my mum and friend with me though so hopefully they can keep me calm. Im worried about the pain involved too coz I'm a bit of a sook, but so far I've handled all the needles well. Congratulations on your bubba! I can't wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @mb83 you shouldn't feel pain during the procedure apart from the initial needles so try not to worry about that too much.. They will give you a sedative via injection (can't remember what it's called) in your arm which will make you feel a little bit tipsy and calm you down. You might have mild pain and slight bleeding afterwards but they'll dose you up on panadol and as long as you rest for a day or so you'll be fine. Good excuse to make your partner fuss over you and cook dinner! It's very hard not to freak out but it will all be over pretty quickly and you'll probably find that it wasn't as bad as you thought. It's comforting to see other girls sitting there in their dressing gowns also freaking out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooohhh, I didn't know that they give you a sedative... That makes me happy 😊 At least it will keep me calm enough to stay on the table 😆 for sure I will have my feet up for a few days and I'm gonna stock up on panadol this arv. Thank you heaps for your advice and experience... It's always comforting to know that others have gone through the same thing and survived 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    No problem at all! It's all very daunting when you don't know what to expect, and it does at times feel like you're the only one going through it but rest assured you're not and there are others that understand! Best of luck - you'll be absolutely fine, and sounds like you've got some good support ppl around you 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. I just had my egg collection this morning, laying back in bed resting now as my right ovary tends to be very hard to reach, so it's a bit painful from them having to put a lot of pressure on to get what they needed from that ovary. But that certainly doesn't happen for everyone.

This is my third EPU. Ask the nurses/embryologist/doc any questions you have. They are very patient, especially when they know it's your first time.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps ladies!! It went well. There was some discomfort and a little pain, but all in all, no where near as bad as I was expecting. I have my feet up as well, and planning to not move far from the couch for the rest of the day... Although I've already had almost 1.5 litres of water, so I'm sure a trip to the loo will be in my near future 😊 How many eggs is a good amount to have from the pick up? I had 10 taken out, but they said that there may be a high drop off rate...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear! 10 is a good number to work with, there are usually some that don't fertilise for whatever reason but all depends on quality and luck! I had low numbers, I think 5 was the most I ever had collected at one time. Ideally you'll end up with a few good embryos and can then freeze some if needed. Enjoy the couch time in between toilet trips! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    10 is great, allows for room for the ones that inevitably won't fertilise. I had 7 collected & my IVF nurse has just called to say that 4 of them fertilised. They're going out to blastocyst stage and I'm booked in for 5dt on Sunday