+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone had a flu in very early pregnancy?

I had a flu in my week 5 and 6. I had one round of antibiotics and got better for 2 days. now the virus seems to be coming back. I might see my doctor again tomorrow. but I am really worried about the flu/virus affecting the development of the embryo. Has anyone had any flu in early pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had bad tonsilitis with DS around 4-5 weeks and had 2 weeks of antibiotics. Didn't affect anything. I know plenty of the girls in my DD group had horrible flus in the early days and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I wouldn't be too worried - there is not placenta at that stage anyway.... plenty of women get colds and flus while pregnant and the biggest concern is that they can't take any medication ie codral etc. And overheating if you have a fever. But honestly your baby will be fine . Chat to your doc if you're worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a terrible sinus/upper respitory condition when I was 15 weeks with my first. Doctor was sure I had whooping cough and told me to stay home until results were back... I didn't have it but it took 2 weeks of rest and 3 rounds of antibiotics to get better... My DS never had an issue through the whole thing and was born healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleymoon View Post
    I had a flu in my week 5 and 6. I had one round of antibiotics and got better for 2 days. now the virus seems to be coming back. I might see my doctor again tomorrow. but I am really worried about the flu/virus affecting the development of the embryo. Has anyone had any flu in early pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby?
    Yes that was one of my first pregnancy symptoms for both of my girls

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    If you had the actual flu, antibiotics won't work. They will only work if you have a bacterial infection or a secondary bacterial infection.

Your embryo is pretty well protected in there. Just make sure you look after yourself as you'll be more susceptible to things when pregnant.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone had a flu in very early pregnancy?

I've had the flu once (crook for almost 2 weeks- with a toddler,couldn't take anything but panadol and saline spray) colds x3, gastro.... As much as it sucks it's all good. Your immune system is low so you tend to catch everything when pregnant! Hence why they encourage you to get the flu shot! To protect YOU, not necessarily bubs.
    And pp is right about antibiotics- they are not used to treat flu (virus) but a bacterial infection

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a full blown flu at the start of my pregnancy (fever, nausea the works). It is the reason I didn't know about the pregnancy until quite far along as I just thought I was run down and not able to shake the flu fast enough! Bubs was perfectly fine.