Gift for christening?? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gift for christening??

We are going to a close friends sons christening in a couple of weeks and i have no idea what to give as a gift. We are not religious and haven't been to one before. Any ideas much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    how much do you want to spend? I recently got my nephew a set of cufflinks engraved with his initials. Absolutely not my thing at all, but something i knew his parents would adore (they are all about presents that are learning opportunities or keepsakes. Totally nailed it in the keepsake department, his parents loved them).

Another nephew I got a lovely silver photo frame and had it engraved with his first name. I decided not to put christening or the date or anything on it so that they could use it for any photo. It did take a little while to find a silver frame that could be engraved as some frames are only silver coated.

And the first nephew to be christened got a pewter money box, I think from memory it was a soccer ball, and yes, you guessed it, I also had his name engraved on that.

I'm feeling bad now though, because i have four nephews and one was christened interstate and I didnt go and didnt get him anything either....oops.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 05-10-2015 at 20:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing pewter. They will get a gazillion other tacky pewter things, they don't need another.

My failsafe gift for a baby is a nice classic book set. Beatrix Potter, Mem Fox, May Gibbs etc.

Depending on how much you want to spend, my favourite gift for my boys was a beautiful marble chess set. Favourite gift I got for a friends boy was an antique looking globe of the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    as a christening is essentially a baby's introduction to religion/a faith, I think a gift with a slight religious flavour is appropriate. a little gold or silver crucifix or something. for our niece, we got a lovely wooden cross painted in bright colours and designs by El Salvadorian families. I thought that was cute and occasion-appropriate. you could always get a small religious trinket and then more of a timeless keep sake (love the cuff links idea above).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A nice thoughtful gift DS received for his christening was a really lovely (children's) book with a special message written inside the cover. It is one of the only useful gifts he was given, and one that doubles as a keepsake. Nicely illustrated religious books are also great (and appropriate) but I think a really lovely children's book is fine too.

Just don't get one of those milestone photo frame things (big frame with a picture hole for every month etc). We got given 3 of them (!) and honestly never used one...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    We received things like beautiful book sets, Peter Rabbit/Bunnikins cups, plates and saucers, nothing pewter!
    I tend to buy books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh yes, forgot the bunnykins! I grew up with that and I think it's a lovely keepsake for kids to grow up with as well. books are also great too.

agree with all the PPs too, pewter is vom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DO NOT get a photo frame with 'christening' on it or anything with christening on it unless you are the godparents! Both DS & DD have several from their baptisms, also money boxes, both have quite a few!

I think some lovely books are great, maybe a nice set like Beatrix Potter or for a little boy, the hairy maclarey set.

You're gift doesn't have to be religious, the god parents/ religious relies will take care of that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A nice towel embroidered with their name. Nice, useful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Gift for christening??

I'm not sure if this is the type of thing your friends would like but we are Muslim and when we had our equivalent of a Christening for our DD friends of ours got a lovely frame for her wall with scripture written on it, in really bright colours. It's very unique and we loved it. This is a similar picture of what we got:
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1444047848.506480.jpg

I had a look on Etsy for something similar in a Christian theme and found this:
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1444047609.555139.jpg

It might be too religious for some though but it's something different and unique.

*sorry the picture quality isn't great