+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Safe sleeping for active babies

Hi all,

My DD is 14 weeks old and very mobile. She rolls back to tummy and tummy to back and drags / kicks herself around.

We have co-slept from birth. This wasn't really my 'plan' but she much preferred it and I enjoyed her (and therefore me) sleeping at night!

Now I want to wean her into sleeping in her cot or bassinet. In bed I have always cradled her in my arm so she couldn't roll off the bed or roll into her tummy.

I'm after advice on how to safely sleep her in the cot given how much she can move.

I have put her in the cot several times as a trial and she will roll over onto her side or tummy as she does not like sleeping on her back. She also moves around the cot by kicking the sides of it and who knows how else. I have come back and literally found her at the other end of the cot with her head facing in the direction that her feet were facing.

Unfortunately she hates being swaddled and kicks her way out.

I'm concerned about SIDS (from her being on her side or tummy) and her bashing her head on the sides of the cot and/or getting a leg/arm stuck.

Does anyone have some advice?

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 16wks and also rolls around the place. She moves around the whole cot and will only sleep on her tummy.

I sleep her in a sleeping bag (Grobag/Bubbaroo etc) with the arms free. Our cot also has an air wrap to stop her arms getting stuck in the bars.

Unfortunately once they can roll there is not much you can do. From memory I thought the SIDS risk is reduced once the baby can roll and has good head/neck control and as long as you put them down on their back then the rest (sleeping position) is up to them.

Good luck with it all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    My DD is 16wks and also rolls around the place. She moves around the whole cot and will only sleep on her tummy.

I sleep her in a sleeping bag (Grobag/Bubbaroo etc) with the arms free. Our cot also has an air wrap to stop her arms getting stuck in the bars.

Unfortunately once they can roll there is not much you can do. From memory I thought the SIDS risk is reduced once the baby can roll and has good head/neck control and as long as you put them down on their back then the rest (sleeping position) is up to them.

Good luck with it all!
    I'm not alone!!! Thanks for the advice.

It's relieving to hear that the SIDS risk is lower now. It was really worrying me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm not alone!!! Thanks for the advice.

It's relieving to hear that the SIDS risk is lower now. It was really worrying me.
    That's what I was told with my DS (so 4 yrs ago) - pretty sure the same applies now - well, the health nurse didn't indicate otherwise at DDs latest health check when she asked about sleeping.

And really, unless you sat by the cot all night holding your little one on its back there's no way to stop them (I *may* have tried this when my DS first started to roll).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the guideline is place on back and if they move themselves, it's ok. I know some people use positioners but I'd personally be more worried about having them in the cot rather than bub rolling over onto her side or tummy.

Since bub wiggles so much, I'd be looking at getting a sleeping bag.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (05-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

We use something called a safe T sleep wrap. It's basically something that wraps around the mattress (cot or bassinet etc it's adjustable) and there's a bit that wraps around the baby's tummy keeping them in a safe sleeping position and stops them going all over the cot, banging their head m etc. we used it originally because our son needed an operation and I didn't want him accidentally hurting his shoulder where he has been operated but we still use it months later because he loves it and sleeps really well. Sounds like it might be worth a try for you. Unlike swaddling this allows the baby's arms to be free so it's good for babies who don't like being swaddled.
    Last edited by TeaM; 05-10-2015 at 20:10.