+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What harm can come from accepting a balloon from a stranger when you are in a public place with people around including your husband? .

Minimal - that's why I accepted the balloon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I honestly do not get the big deal. Its a balloon. You were prob the only people this guy could see who had a kid.

I like to think I have good awareness of 'stranger danger'. But I have spoken to and DS has played peek-a-boo with people from all walks of life - a homeless man to an old man, to young men/women and mifdle ages men/women.

I don't get how 'looking disheveled' automatically means 'textbook pedophile'.

I don't know - to me it is just not a big deal and I do not think twice at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (05-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i can't believe there are 5 pages of this. lol. that's 3 mins of my life i'll never get back.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-10-2015),Wise Enough  (04-10-2015),zoz  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What would you do: gift from stranger

The guy didn't approach kids by themselves with a balloon and convince them to walk away with him, he approached an adult with children and offered it. How on earth is this dodgey?! Who knows why he had the balloon, maybe his child decided he didn't want it while running off and he thought it'd be nice to just pass it on rather than bin it. There's dozens of reasons that would not lead to him being a creep that gets his rocks off by handing out a balloon to an adult accompanied child. Jesus bubhub is depressing with the cynics sometimes.

Eta: and I see absolutely no harm in me, the adult, politely accepting the balloon, creepy looking or not. But aren't you teaching your kids to judge a book by it's cover if you assume this guy is dodgey by his appearance?
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 04-10-2015 at 20:52.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (04-10-2015),Moxy  (05-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I completely agree with this. However, if you get a creepy vibe from someone then you just do and it doesn't necessarily follow logic.
    That could be a good spinoff -
    "tell us about a time you have reacted instinctually (perhaps illogically) and if you had your time again would you react the same way?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You've missed the point. They aren't meant to be in the same ball park in terms of actual imminent danger faced (that proud be ridiculous). Rather they are meant to both be examples of how accepting kindness can be affected by circumstances and surroundings.
    No I haven't. Random acts of kindness are not stopping on a deserted road in the middle of the night to help a guy in a broken down car. By definition they are small seemingly insignificant things done for no other reason than to make make another person smile.

I do think it's sad that you can't stop at night and help a stranger but honestly in this day and age of smart phones etc it's not as essential as it probably once was.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2015),Mokeybear  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have accepted the balloon. I don't think paedophiles approach the parents of the kids to offer a balloon. I mean really, if they were out looking for a victim, do you think that's how it's going to go down? No. Perhaps the man just found the balloon on the ground, and thought 'hey, instead of throwing it out I'll see if this mum would like it for her child first.'

As much as I wonder how VP gets through life without having a mental breakdown from fear due to the things she worries about I do understand the 'look like a paedophile' comment. One of my neighbours a few doors down looks like a paedophile. I can't explain why, he just does. I never said anything to anyone about it (because why would I? I don't have any more to do with him than to say hello if he is out in his garden as we walk past and I absolutely don't want to brand someone as a paedophile) but one day I said hello as I was walking past with a friend, and once we got out of ear shot my friend said 'woah, paedophile.' So yeah, I know that paedophiles can look and dress in a number of different ways, and I'm not even a paranoid person, but my neighbour looks like a paedophile. I can't explain it. He just does.
    Last edited by Full House; 04-10-2015 at 20:57.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    The guy didn't approach kids by themselves with a balloon and convince them to walk away with him, he approached an adult with children and offered it. How on earth is this dodgey?! Who knows why he had the balloon, maybe his child decided he didn't want it while running off and he thought it'd be nice to just pass it on rather than bin it. There's dozens of reasons that would not lead to him being a creep that gets his rocks off by handing out a balloon to an adult accompanied child. Jesus bubhub is depressing with the cynics sometimes.

Eta: and I see absolutely no harm in me, the adult, politely accepting the balloon, creepy looking or not. But aren't you teaching your kids to judge a book by it's cover if you assume this guy is dodgey by his appearance?
    Would you be at least a little suspicious if a man that offered you a balloon *appeared* to be by himself (no kids, friend, store)?
    (Genuine question )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oops full house, I didn't finish reading your whole post before thanking. Agreeing with most except the 'looks like a paedophile' part. 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I would have accepted the balloon. I don't think paedophiles approach the parents of the kids to offer a balloon. I am really, if they were out looking for a victim, do you think that's how it's going to go down? No. Perhaps the man just found the balloon on the ground, and thought 'hey, instead of throwing it out I'll see if this mum would like it for her child first.'

As much as I wonder how VP gets through life without having a mental breakdown from fear due to the things she worries about I do understand the 'look like a paedophile' comment. One of my neighbours a few doors down looks like a paedophile. I can't explain why, he just does. I never said anything to anyone about it (because why would I? I don't have any more to do with him than to say hello if he is out in his garden as we walk past) but one day I said hello as I was walking past with a friend, and once we got out of ear shot my friend said 'woah, paedophile.' So yeah, I know that paedophiles can look and dress in a number of different ways, and I'm not even a paranoid person, but my neighbour looks like a paedophile. He just does.
    I do wonder whether the 'looking like a pedophile' is influenced by what we see on tv i.e. crime shows etc etc.

I know what you mean though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast