+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess people like the idea of random acts of kindness but maybe in today's cynical world, nobody realistically expects it to happen? and so when it does, one is a bit wary/suspicious?

I generally believe most people are, underneath, good. but I also get "off" vibes from some people. I'm a pretty intuitive and perceptive person and my intuition has rarely, if ever, let me down. VP said she got a weird vibe, why would you ignore that and trust someone then potentially it bites you in the backside and you're kicking yourself for not listening to your gut? I think it's nice to believe in "the kindness of strangers" etc but you've also got to temper it with your own gut feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree it's sad and I'm not sure what the point is. Perhaps it's that kindness is absolutely the preferred norm we should strive to live by ... however in reality the existence of a few shady people mean we sometimes aren't/can't be as kind as we would like to be?

For example: a female driving alone at night on a deserted road sees a car broken down on the side of the road with a man motioning for the females car to pull over .... Do you stop and offer help? I wouldn't.
    no effing way. neither would I be thrilled or accept the help of a random bloke who pulls over to help me if I was broken down. actually that's a really scary thought. being stuck with a broken car and a man offering help that you feel you just don't trust. thank Christ for RACV!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I think it's nice to believe in "the kindness of strangers" etc but you've also got to temper it with your own gut feeling.
    I do think the gut feeling is important. Someone has to take in all the surroundings (body language, posture, clothing, other people standing around) when making a judgement call.

I think in this case I still feel a bit unsure? as I was caught by surprise and wasn't able to fully take in the circumstances of the man offering the ballon. So I went by the limited information I had and made a gut call. Yes I could be way off the mark, I could also be close to the mark. Who knows. I'm hoping by being polite but not too engaging I found an ok compromise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ok this my mega angry rant for the night.

There are more pedophile dressed nicely than looking scruffy.
    By writing sh1t like this increase the vulnerability of kids to real pedophiles.
    They don't have a certain look. You can't just pick one our in a freaking line up by how they are dressed.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (05-10-2015),amyd  (04-10-2015),Elijahs Mum  (04-10-2015),GlitterFarts  (04-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (04-10-2015),twinklify  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I do think the gut feeling is important. Someone has to take in all the surroundings (body language, posture, clothing, other people standing around) when making a judgement call.

I think in this case I still feel a bit unsure? as I was caught by surprise and wasn't able to fully take in the circumstances of the man offering the ballon. So I went by the limited information I had and made a gut call. Yes I could be way off the mark, I could also be close to the mark. Who knows. I'm hoping by being polite but not too engaging I found an ok compromise.
    you have reacted exactly as I would have. you had limited time to gather much info about the situation as you were caught off-guard. your unconscious obviously took in what it did and for whatever reasons, sent out warning signals. but you weren't rude. I don't think you did anything wrong at all and probably most people would've reacted just the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What would you do: gift from stranger

I don't think stopping on a deserted road at night and accepting a balloon off a stranger are even in the same planet, let alone ball park.

What harm can come from accepting a balloon from a stranger when you are in a public place with people around including your husband? I would agree with an off vibe if he had approached the child or children without the mum present, but you were right there and he spoke to you.

I just think sometimes we really over think things and look for trouble when it isn't there.

I lived in inner city Melbourne with 2 young kids who spoke to every weirdo known to man. My radar is pretty polished.
    Last edited by Sonja; 04-10-2015 at 20:38.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (05-10-2015),amyd  (04-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (04-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2015),LoveLivesHere  (04-10-2015),Mokeybear  (04-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post

By writing sh1t like this increase the vulnerability of kids to real pedophiles.
    They don't have a certain look. You can't just pick one our in a freaking line up by how they are dressed.
    I completely agree with this. However, if you get a creepy vibe from someone then you just do and it doesn't necessarily follow logic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    probably most people would've reacted just the same.
    I truly hope not. And the fact that most people on here reacted differently gives me hope.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (05-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (04-10-2015),Mokeybear  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post

True. I agree - pedophiles come from all walks of life and all lines if clothing.

I can't explain my initial reaction other than to say that the disheveled appearance made me cautious and *then* the absence of an accompanying child/female/balloon store (from what I could see) made me question his motives.

I hope this makes sense.
    - Even if it doesn't I doubt this fluff post is going to increase the vulnerability of any children to a pedophile.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't think stopping on a deserted road at night and accepting a balloon off a stranger are even in the same planet, let alone ball park. .
    You've missed the point. They aren't meant to be in the same ball park in terms of actual imminent danger faced (that proud be ridiculous). Rather they are meant to both be examples of how accepting kindness can be affected by circumstances and surroundings.