+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Happened to me on a team in Melbourne recently. I said that it was a very kind offer, but no thank you.
    Mainly said no because I was wearing ds2 who isn't really old enough, I was carrying bags and I can't stand balloons!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do I think you did?

Told him balloons where bad for the environment, secretly followed him to his car took his number plates and alerted police. All while filming it on your phone so you could later upload it to YouTube with the title "beware of this man".

Am I close?

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (04-10-2015),azelqra  (04-10-2015),delirium  (04-10-2015),DreamyMummy  (04-10-2015),Gentoo  (05-10-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What would you do: gift from stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    What do I think you did?

Told him balloons where bad for the environment, secretly followed him to his car took his number plates and alerted police. All while filming it on your phone so you could later upload it to YouTube with the title "beware of this man".

Am I close?
    There are elements of your story that ring a bell - for the most part not close

I was busy with kids (in pram), hands full, attention elsewhere... So I was a bit like a stunned mullet for a couple of seconds after the guy first offered the balloons.

My first thought was: "where the heck did you come from, I didn't see you before."

My second thought was: "what is a middle aged man .. A stranger, not accompanied by a child or female, doing offering me/my kids a free animal balloon. What was he doing with one in the first place?" (Didn't see a balloon stall nearby although my head was up my backside I suppose).

My third though was that the dude looked like a textbook pedophile. Not that I've ever seen a textbook with pictures of pedophiles. And yes I now how unreasonable this sounds. I think I watch too much Criminal Minds on TV.

My fourth thought was "****.. I better take it before he thinks I'm rude." I took it then said 'thanks that very nice of you.'

My fifth thought was that I felt bad for judging the man - maybe he was just trying to do the right thing.

My sixth thought was "nah. Something was off about him. I can't put my finger on it." Perhaps if I wasn't so distracted when I ran into him I would have been able to better put my finger on what was making me feel uneasy.

Neither kids had noticed at this stage - both in the pram (one asleep, the other nearly). When I ran into DH I told him I felt something wasn't right and asked him to bin the balloon) doesn't help that I'm a germaphobe - remember the shoes on/off thread...).

Why did I post?
    1) boredom.
    2) I thought it would be interesting to see what others would doz
    3) I wanted to try and figure out what end of the spectrum my reaction was on (on the weird end by the looks of it!)

Anyway - I better go. Have been on the throne for quite some time typing this so hubby now thinks I have gastro.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-10-2015 at 20:10.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

amyd  (04-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (04-10-2015),CakeyMumma  (04-10-2015),GirlsRock  (04-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-10-2015),MaximumStarlight  (04-10-2015),Tinkers  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Be stoked that I didn't have to pay for a balloon animal that wouldn't even survive the drive home from the markets lol?? Tell him how lovely his gesture was and thank him. That would be it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    At what age did you start doing this? I really like this idea. My DS is 2.5 and does not speak/answer around strangers so I defaulted to doing it.

Should try this out sometime.
    I've pretty much always done a form of it. Before they talk I answer the giver first and then talk to the kids and say 'this lovely person just gave you a balloon, can you say Ta'. I don't expect them to answer but I figure it's the groundwork for manners.

I especially do it with my mil because then if it gets refused it's not the evil dil saying no.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There are elements of your story that ring a bell - for the most part not close

I was busy with kids (in pram), hands full, attention elsewhere... So I was a bit like a stunned mullet for a couple of seconds after the guy first offered the balloons.

My first thought was: "where the heck did you come from, I didn't see you before."

My second thought was: "what is a middle aged man .. A stranger doing offering me/my kids a free animal balloon. What was he doing with one in the first place?" (Didn't see a balloon stall nearby although my head was up my backside I suppose).

My third though was that the dude looked like a textbook pedophile. Not that I've ever seen a textbook with pictures of pedophiles. And yes I now how unreasonable this sounds. I think I watch too much Criminal Minds on TV.

My fourth thought was "****.. I better take it before he thinks I'm rude." I took it then said 'thanks that very nice of you.'

My fifth thought was that I felt bad for judging the man - maybe he was just trying to do the right thing.

My sixth thought was "nah. Something was off about him. I can't put my finger on it." Perhaps if I wasn't so distracted when I ran into him I would have been able to better put my finger on what was making me feel uneasy.

Neither kids had noticed at this stage - both in the pram (one asleep, the other nearly). When I ran into DH I told him I felt something wasn't right and asked him to bin the balloon) doesn't help that I'm a germaphobe - remember the shoes on/off thread...).

Why did I post?
    1) boredom.
    2) I thought it would be interesting to see what others would doz
    3) I wanted to try and figure out what end of the spectrum my reaction was on (on the weird end by the looks of it!)

Anyway - I better go. Have been on the throne for quite some time typing this so hubby now thinks I have gastro.
    Man I laughed at this. And given the state of my bottom behaviour tonight I can't laugh too hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Man I laughed at this. And given the state of my bottom behaviour tonight I can't laugh too hard.
    Got the $hits have you? Poor duck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    tbh I'd prob be a bit weirded out/wary as well if a shabbily dressed textbook pedo-looking type popped out of nowhere and offered me/my kid an animal balloon. but maybe he was just trying to be nice and didn't want it and thought someone else's kid might like it. I'd prob just look like a shell shocked goose, mumble out a cursory thanks and take the balloon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I realise this is probably intended to be light hearted but it did occur to me that we start threads on here from time to time encouraging random acts of kindness, and they are publicly encouraged, then someone actually does something which is random and kind and some people react with suspicion.

Makes me feel sad really, and wonder what's the point.

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (04-10-2015),delirium  (04-10-2015),Elijahs Mum  (04-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (04-10-2015),FearlessLeader  (04-10-2015),Fox in Sox  (05-10-2015),heplusme  (05-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2015),LoveLivesHere  (04-10-2015),Mokeybear  (04-10-2015),Ngaiz  (05-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (04-10-2015),twinklify  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I realise this is probably intended to be light hearted but it did occur to me that we start threads on here from time to time encouraging random acts of kindness, and they are publicly encouraged, then someone actually does something which is random and kind and some people react with suspicion.

Makes me feel sad really, and wonder what's the point.
    I agree it's sad and I'm not sure what the point is. Perhaps it's that kindness is absolutely the preferred norm we should strive to live by ... however in reality the existence of a few shady people mean we sometimes aren't/can't be as kind as we would like to be?

For example: a female driving alone at night on a deserted road sees a car broken down on the side of the road with a man motioning for the females car to pull over .... Do you stop and offer help? I wouldn't.