+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Deciding where to build a 'forever' home!

How did you do it? What was important to you in making your choice?

DP and I are in the fortunate position of looking at blocks to buy, with the aim of building in approx 2 years time. When it comes to our forever home, we both agree on what we want - we just can't seem to decide on where! He recently sold his house in the city to move in with me in the suburbs. I like this area but it has experienced pretty much all the growth it can and there isn't any more vacant land. Our house is way too small and not kid friendly, plus it was the house I owned with my XH so there's bad memories too...we'd like a fresh start.

I grew up in a small town, the commute is not too bad, having grown up there it feels like no time at all to me but for DP it's a bit of an issue. It's experiencing massive growth but being out of town the blocks are so well priced. We'd be able to build a bigger house, potentially have it paid off quicker etc. DD would be going to the same school I did which would make me so happy. It's a great school and I had such a lovely upbringing in that town. Wherever we live I want her to have that sense of belonging and community, like these streets are her home, where she can always come back to and feel loved and safe. DP is just not sold on being so far out of town, he grew up in the city and likes being close to everything, whereas I like being further away! He's not very sentimental like I am. But I'm level headed enough to realise that DD doesn't need to have the same upbringing as me for it to still be wonderful or even better! And I feel very strongly about both DP and I feeling totally happy with where we build, it's too big a decision for one person to have doubts.

Some of the areas he likes I'm not totally against but they just feel so foreign to me. They're nice and the schools are good but I'm someone who really likes to feel connected to their community and whilst I haven't ruled them out I just question, 'could I feel at home here?'

Just curious as to how others have decided where to set themselves up, and if you moved to a brand new area, how did it go??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We moved to a brand new area 11 years ago, and have lived in 4 different suburbs in that area in that time. I grew up further out from the city, bigger houses, bigger blocks of land etc. We moved in to the city before having kids, and there is no way on earth I would ever move back out to the area I grew up in. Yes, we have a small house and a small yard and my kid's experiences of childhood are vastly different to my experience....but we LOVE it and we truly believe we are giving our kids a wonderful childhood.
    My kids are all at school and the sense of community in the area is so fantastic, plus the school zones are soooo much smaller than the school zone I was in as a kid, so all the friends live in the same small suburb. We don't ever want to leave this area....and it was a suburb we originally said we'd never buy in because a) it's expensive and you don't get much for your money, and b) the land sizes are really small so it means the kids don't have a massive area to play in. Our kids are lucky because we can fit in a trampoline in our yard, lots of kids don't. But it doesn't matter...the local park is the 'backyard' and it's rare to go there and not meet someone you know who is also there, the school is fantastic, the people are fantastic (overall), and the lifestyle is amazing. We live in a beautiful city, I think my kids are super lucky.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (03-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Deciding where to build a 'forever' home!

Could you delay buying the land and rent a house in an area you are thinking of - try before you buy? Moving is a bit of a pain and renting not great but building a forever home is a massive investment and location is so important.

DP and I have just done something similar. It's working out really well for us. In our case I was the city dweller and he grew up in the sticks. We have moved to a small coastal community and I could not be happier. I just love it. It's surprising as I'd always lived within 5 km of a CBD and now the thought of going back there makes me cringe.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 03-10-2015 at 21:24.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (03-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great point about the school zones. The area you live does sound a lot like one of DP's favourites, and whilst it's closer to the city than I'm used to, the school zone is incredibly small and the local parks are always very lively. As connected as I am to my hometown and as scary as it is to take such a big jump I do feel like DD would really thrive

Renting for a while is a good idea, very courageous of you too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amcyus View Post
    Great point about the school zones. The area you live does sound a lot like one of DP's favourites, and whilst it's closer to the city than I'm used to, the school zone is incredibly small and the local parks are always very lively. As connected as I am to my hometown and as scary as it is to take such a big jump I do feel like DD would really thrive

Renting for a while is a good idea, very courageous of you too!
    Another plus about renting is that you get to know the suburb a bit more before buying so you know the good streets, bad streets, where the traffic gets busy, etc and it will give you time to understand the real estate market in the suburb so you can recognise (and snap up!) a bargain when you see one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing and bumping too, we're in a similar position!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well as a bit of an update...we are still searching for the perfect block. After getting into it a bit more seriously we've realised exactly how much there is to take into consideration! It's not just the area, it's the land available and where we can build that will suit our budget. We're in quite a hilly area which results in poor soil tests and extra costs just to level out the land to build, so honestly this has ruled out some areas for us. DP has definitely opened his mind to different areas and so have I to be honest. I've come to realise that whilst DD having a similar upbringing to me would make ME very happy, it's not necessary...I'm sure she'll be happy wherever she is as that's all she'll know. We're still really enjoying this learning process & hoping to narrow it down soon!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-10-2015),Pearlygirl  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in the city, so for us our forever home needs to be close to transport, near good schools and local shops, parks etc