+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Preservative free (or close to) hommus?

Ok I've just had the best hummus ever! My brother spent the last 2 months working in Israel and got back last week and tonight came over and cooked us dinner including this very old Israeli hummus recipe and the secret ingredient is ...... Baking soda ( or bi carb!) It seriously does something to the chickpeas and it's the creamiest yummiest hummus I've ever had and everyone ( including all the kids !) loved it - you need dried chickpeas that need to be soaked overnight but it's worth the effort I promise!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1446978382.602233.jpg

1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    6 1/2 cups water
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons/270 g light tahini paste
    4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    6 1/2 tablespoons/100 ml ice-cold water
    Teaspoon salt
    Paprika and fresh parsley to garnish

The night before, put the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover them with cold water at least twice their volume. Leave to soak overnight.

The next day, drain the chickpeas. Place a medium saucepan over high heat and add the drained chickpeas and baking soda. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cook, skimming off any foam and any skins that float to the surface. The chickpeas will need to cook between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on the type and freshness, sometimes even longer. Once done, they should be very tender, breaking up easily when pressed between your thumb and finger, almost but not quite mushy.

Drain the chickpeas. You should have roughly 3 2/3 cups/600 g now. Place the chickpeas in a food processor and process until you get a stiff paste. Then, with the machine still running, add the tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and 1 teaspoons of salt. Finally, slowly drizzle in the iced water and allow it to mix for about 5 minutes, until you get a very smooth and creamy paste.

Transfer the hummus to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. If not using straightaway, refrigerate until needed. Make sure to take it out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.

Sprinkle with paprika, fresh parsley and a good glug of olive oil

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

clbj  (09-11-2015)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my god! This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I soak organic chickpeas overnight and they seem much nicer than canned. Just a tip - I pop some apple cider vinegar when soaking to help with digestion and to make the chick peas ultra nutrient dense!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-11-2015)