+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There is a dip brand at woollies called 'Chris's' I buy them because they are preservative free

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

clbj  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I'll report back after next attempt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Winner winner, chickpea dinner!!

No time to write more now, but I was too excited not to update the eastern states crew before bedtime!! Thanks so much ladies! (or blokes - it's the internet! who knows who is really behind the advice?!)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2015),JustJaq  (05-10-2015),maternidade  (04-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preservative free (or close to) hommus?

Step 1: add 4 TABLEspoons of tahini (I was using teaspoon quantities before which could explain dramas to date), lemon and garlic to mixing bowl

Step 2: mix until you think, "sh!t - this stab mixer was a wedding present and that makes it 13 years old. I don't feel old enough to have been married for 13 years. I hope the motor on this mixer thing doesn't burn out before this is done". Or until ingredients are combined to a smooth paste. Whatever comes first.

Step 3: add yogurt and mix until smooth, or start thinking midlife-crisis-like thoughts. Whatever comes first.

Step 4: open, drain and rinse a can of organic chickpeas whilst thinking that the regular canned chickpeas had better have been marinated in organophosphate pesticides to justify the price difference. Add overpriced chickpeas to mixture and keep mixing.

Step 5: add olive oil and mix until mixture looks smooth and less like brickies mortar.

Step 6: think "didn't I buy a jar of cumin for this?" Add a random amount of cumin. Mix. Taste. Regret adding cumin. Swear never to stray away from an Elijah's mum recipe ever again because what seems like culinary initiative at the time always turns out badly. Very badly. Apologise to organic chickpeas for doubting them and for straying off the path of cooking righteousness.

Step 7: add more lemon juice to try and salvage effort. Mix. Taste. Cry. Remember a domestic expert told you her secret hommus recipe has honey. Add a random sized dollop of honey. Mix. Taste. Victory!!

It tastes good! DS (age 2) happily licked all the leftovers in the bowl and off the stab mixer whilst saying "mmm hommus" and "ooo sharp. Careful." So it must taste like hommus. And I even thought to switch off and unplug the stab mixer before giving it to toddler to lick. Mother of the year!!
    Last edited by clbj; 04-10-2015 at 23:36.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (05-10-2015),Elijahs Mum  (05-10-2015),JustJaq  (05-10-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (05-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (05-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (05-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds delicious! A little angsty, but delicious! ☺

I tried making hommus a while back too, and it was a fail. Might have to give it another go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    That sounds delicious! A little angsty, but delicious! ☺

I tried making hommus a while back too, and it was a fail. Might have to give it another go.
    Do it! Don't forget to add wine (for the cook, not the hommus).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (05-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Step 1: add 4 TABLEspoons of tahini (I was using teaspoon quantities before which could explain dramas to date), lemon and garlic to mixing bowl

Step 2: mix until you think, "sh!t - this stab mixer was a wedding present and that makes it 13 years old. I don't feel old enough to have been married for 13 years. I hope the motor on this mixer thing doesn't burn out before this is done". Or until ingredients are combined to a smooth paste. Whatever comes first.

Step 3: add yogurt and mix until smooth, or start thinking midlife-crisis-like thoughts. Whatever comes first.

Step 4: open, drain and rinse a can of organic chickpeas whilst thinking that the regular canned chickpeas had better have been marinated in organophosphate pesticides to justify the price difference. Add overpriced chickpeas to mixture and keep mixing.

Step 5: add olive oil and mix until mixture looks smooth and less like brickies mortar.

Step 6: think "didn't I buy a jar of cumin for this?" Add a random amount of cumin. Mix. Taste. Regret adding cumin. Swear never to stray away from an Elijah's mum recipe ever again because what seems like culinary initiative at the time always turns out badly. Very badly. Apologise to organic chickpeas for doubting them and for straying off the path of cooking righteousness.

Step 7: add more lemon juice to try and salvage effort. Mix. Taste. Cry. Remember a domestic expert told you her secret hommus recipe has honey. Add a random sized dollop of honey. Mix. Taste. Victory!!

It tastes good! DS (age 2) happily licked all the leftovers in the bowl and off the stab mixer whilst saying "mmm hommus" and "ooo sharp. Careful." So it must taste like hommus. And I even thought to switch off and unplug the stab mixer before giving it to toddler to lick. Mother of the year!!

So tell us, which of the 2 Kate's are you?

http://thekateringshow.com

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know why there is yoghurt in the recipe, never put yoghurt in my hummus. Might ask the Lebanese people at the restaurant next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I don't know why there is yoghurt in the recipe, never put yoghurt in my hummus. Might ask the Lebanese people at the restaurant next time.
    This recipe is brilliant and doesn't have any yoghurt. I haven't tried it with yoghurt before but can imagine it would taste quite good?

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/e...hummus-recipe/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

clbj  (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preservative free (or close to) hommus?

Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    So tell us, which of the 2 Kate's are you?

http://thekateringshow.com
    I wish!