+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I get 30 mins for lunch. I dont drive. Its a 15 minute walk each way to the closest psych from work & no buses. It would be much more than my lunch break
    Get a taxi and an extended lunch break. This would be your easiest option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How did you manage to get meds for anxiety??

are you after a particular med? eg: Xanax etc? gps are pretty loathe to give Xanax etc out as they're so addictive. I think getting a referral from your psych would probably be the best way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

My GP prescribed my anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds in Australia and also over here in the UK. She's full of sh*t, some people (like myself) can't open themselves up to therapy until the meds help open their brain up to it. I would book another appointment with a different GP, just because it's written on your notes does not mean the next GP won't be more open to listening to you and prescribing them. If for some reason they are then request a referral for a psychiatrist to prescribe them. You really need to put your foot down and advocate for yourself right now, you've been dealing with this for far too long to have it swept under the rug. There are meds for anxiety and they do help. It may take one or two goes figuring out which one and dosage but it's so worth it to feel human again and not so worried about everything.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-10-2015 at 15:16.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I get 30 mins for lunch. I dont drive. Its a 15 minute walk each way to the closest psych from work & no buses. It would be much more than my lunch break
    I only get 30 mins for lunch too so I understand. you're just going to have to tell work you've got an important medical appointment at x time and it'll take 2 hours (allowing yourself enough time to walk back and forth) and you'll be taking it over your lunch break and instruct them to deduct 1.5 hours of either annual leave or personal/sick leave. if it's a one off, they'll understand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Sorry, I'm still catching up on comments. From my experience, meds are a 'quick fix' for me. They calm me down immensely and then I can try other types of therapies. But just therapy on it's own? There's usually no way anything is getting through to me until the meds lift the 'fog.'

Eta: I should add the meds I've been on have been anti-depressants that also help with anxiety, like a PP said.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-10-2015 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I've just finished reading through and I whole-heartedly agree with harvs and others. These roadblocks need to stop. This is not an impossible journey but you're making it one. You're going on two years (or more!) of feeling like this. You can take DS to an appt, if he cries he cries, the appt will be over and he will be fine. You can try and go during work or after or on the weekend. Many drs do evening appts once a week. This is feasible! If you had cancer you wouldn't think it was impossible to get to an appointment. Be proactive and help yourself.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-10-2015 at 15:50.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-10-2015),GlitterFarts  (02-10-2015),Lincolns mummy  (02-10-2015),PomPoms  (02-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-10-2015),skye76  (02-10-2015),VicPark  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are psychologists that do consultations via Skype. They may require some face to face consultations but the majority they can do by Skype.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im trying to help myself i dont know how to!! Thats why i went to the gp today. No-one seems to take me seriously. Im sick of fighting massive battles to get help. It shouldn't be this hard. And every time I try & fail to get help it makes me feel so down.

I love ds so much but i hate that im such a terrible mum. Sometimes I think I should just walk out & he'd be happier without me in his life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey. I know it's overwhelming. I know all too well. I have linked the beyond blue website 'find a professional' page. Try and find a GP today. Make an appointment asap. Explain again what you need. Get a referral to a psych, some meds to start. Take your DS to the GP appointment. Since they are shorter it will be less stressful. Lets start with small steps. The first is always the hardest.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-su...a-professional

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just saw this on news.com.au

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227552899149

I highly doubt it seems easy when you actually suffer from anxiety, but it may help to see how you are putting these road blocks as the others have called them in your way.

Could you take a half day off work, then it isn't a full day off work??
    Perhaps speak to your boss so they know what you are doing and how important it is to you to get this sorted out. I think you need to see another GP if you feel you aren't being listened to, explain to the new GP that you feel you aren't being listened to and would like a referral.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast