+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I dont know what an occasional care center is but ill look around.

I have a babysitter from ds 's daycare but only on weekends as she works at the centre during the week

Ill look on findababysitter
    Can u not go to appts when your DS is at care? U know what days he does do can you not book an spot around his hours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Antidepressants (such as SSRI & SNRI) are FIRST line treatment for anxiety after cbt has been tried. They can take up to 6 weeks to kick in so often people are prescribed a Benzodiazepine (eg: Valium) to use for a short period until the long term meds start to work. Maybe your GP misunderstood you & thought you were demanding Valium or similar? That's the only reason I can see for not starting you on meds if they know your history. It's very puzzling.
    You could try printing some info off the NPS (national prescribing service) website to provide evidence to your GP as to why you want meds.
    Or try asking at your local Pharmacy which GPs in the area are good with mental health (we hear things from our patients!).
    It might help to word it like "I'm looking for a long term solution to manage my anxiety & I don't feel the psych is helping, can we talk about medication?"
    Best of luck, sorry you had a disappointing experience with the GP.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The beyond blue website has a search function for GPs that have an interest in mental health (and usually extra training). Maybe have a look there to see if there is another GP in your area? You may need to see a psychiatrist initially but many are happy for your GP to provide follow up care. You've tried therapy on its own but the research data is pretty clear that medication with therapy is one of the best options when you haven't been able to use strategies alone to improve things (I'm a psychologist and based on what I've read if you were my client I'd be recommending your GP consider an SSRI to support therapy). I'm not sure where you are in Brisbane but there is a psychiatrist service at Toowong that you can see someone usually within two weeks, the medicare gap is minimal, and they will work alongside your gp and psychologist. Please pm me if you would like more info.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I get 30 mins for lunch. I dont drive. Its a 15 minute walk each way to the closest psych from work & no buses. It would be much more than my lunch break
    Get a taxi and an extended lunch break. This would be your easiest option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How did you manage to get meds for anxiety??

are you after a particular med? eg: Xanax etc? gps are pretty loathe to give Xanax etc out as they're so addictive. I think getting a referral from your psych would probably be the best way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

My GP prescribed my anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds in Australia and also over here in the UK. She's full of sh*t, some people (like myself) can't open themselves up to therapy until the meds help open their brain up to it. I would book another appointment with a different GP, just because it's written on your notes does not mean the next GP won't be more open to listening to you and prescribing them. If for some reason they are then request a referral for a psychiatrist to prescribe them. You really need to put your foot down and advocate for yourself right now, you've been dealing with this for far too long to have it swept under the rug. There are meds for anxiety and they do help. It may take one or two goes figuring out which one and dosage but it's so worth it to feel human again and not so worried about everything.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-10-2015 at 16:16.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get 30 mins for lunch. I dont drive. Its a 15 minute walk each way to the closest psych from work & no buses. It would be much more than my lunch break
    I only get 30 mins for lunch too so I understand. you're just going to have to tell work you've got an important medical appointment at x time and it'll take 2 hours (allowing yourself enough time to walk back and forth) and you'll be taking it over your lunch break and instruct them to deduct 1.5 hours of either annual leave or personal/sick leave. if it's a one off, they'll understand.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Sorry, I'm still catching up on comments. From my experience, meds are a 'quick fix' for me. They calm me down immensely and then I can try other types of therapies. But just therapy on it's own? There's usually no way anything is getting through to me until the meds lift the 'fog.'

Eta: I should add the meds I've been on have been anti-depressants that also help with anxiety, like a PP said.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-10-2015 at 16:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I've just finished reading through and I whole-heartedly agree with harvs and others. These roadblocks need to stop. This is not an impossible journey but you're making it one. You're going on two years (or more!) of feeling like this. You can take DS to an appt, if he cries he cries, the appt will be over and he will be fine. You can try and go during work or after or on the weekend. Many drs do evening appts once a week. This is feasible! If you had cancer you wouldn't think it was impossible to get to an appointment. Be proactive and help yourself.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-10-2015 at 16:50.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-10-2015),GlitterFarts  (02-10-2015),Lincolns mummy  (02-10-2015),PomPoms  (02-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-10-2015),skye76  (02-10-2015),VicPark  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are psychologists that do consultations via Skype. They may require some face to face consultations but the majority they can do by Skype.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast