+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    When was the last time you were consistently in therapy Heartstringz? Did you ever find a therapist you could connect with?

I don't have any direct experience with anxiety meds however I would think walking into a doctors and demanding them would put up a big red flag which would make a doctor extra hesitant to prescribe them.

Try going to a doctor, talking about your situation, talk about what you've tried in the past and how it worked. Then see if the conversation moves towards meds. It might take a couple of appointments and/or some therapy first. If it does take time for the doctors to prescribe you something there's probably a good reason for it.

You've been having a hard time since bub was born - hope things improve soon. Xx

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (02-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (02-10-2015),PomPoms  (02-10-2015),TheGooch  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yep i hit rock bottom and took myself to the gp instantly and he saw full well how bad it was when i was sobbing/screaming talking a million miles an hour about how everything is on top of me. i just couldn't stop once i got going. i think he was really stunned to be honest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I'm the same as you Luv...no amount of excercise,healthy eating, different kinds of therapy etc have ever made a bit of difference for me & I've pretty much tried them all over the last almost 20 yrs!!!

For some people...therapy &/or medication works, for others the only thing that helps manage the symptoms is medication. Obviously that has to be a last resort hence the push for some kind of therapy first. Fair enough.

When you've been dealing with it for years on end...that falls into the "disorder" category IMO & unless you have a GP who you've been with for years on end & who knows your medical history well, you'd be hard pressed to find 1 who'd prescribe meds to you straight off the bat I'm afraid.

Yes...I think you're going to have to get a referral to a Psych Luv to get the meds. Who looks after DS when you work??

Could you not take a half day at work to go for an appoint when you get 1??

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    In the meantime, when you get some time to yourself google EFT and watch some YouTube videos (Brad Yates is great). You only need five minutes and two hands, and once you get used to doing it it can work wonders.

I'm proud of you for going to the dr. Go get that referral!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He goes to daycare when im at work. I can definitely take time off work once or twice to see a psychiatrist but i assumed it would involve regular weekly appointments for a while - i cant take that much time off work.

That gp knows ive struggled with anxiety for a long time. Ive seen her in the past when it was getting worse. So its not news to her.

I saw a psychologist consistently in late pregnancy, thats the last time I saw someone regularly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryDelicious View Post
    Probably over sharing here..

but I basically had an anxiety attack in the car with my 18month old DD while on the phone to my gp's practice.

They called the crazy hospital and I rocked up there with DD in tow. I was such a reck.

The hospital prescribed me medication & refered me back to GP. GP took it seriously there after.

I hope you do not have to hit rock bottom before getting help.
    I've rocked up at the "Crazy Hospital" quite a few times in the last almost 20 yrs Luv!! Have even been a "guest" in there on a few occassions!!😉😁

I've also had anxiety attacks when driving in the past (on my own)....very frightening!!😦

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ok...you could also take it as sick leave as well as medical appoints like that are entitled to a medical certificate.

Weekly appoints with the Psych aren't always neccessary...perhaps once every few weeks to a month to see how the meds are working for you...dosage adjustments etc then after that, it's been my experience that they're happy to let your GP or Psychologist etc take over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been on anxiety meds for about 4 years. It wasn't the first option my gp took. I was in and out of therapy for years beforehand. I also had pnd after DD, so my mental health file was of a decent size.

After my dad died suddenly I pretty much dropped my bundle. I knew grief wasn't a disease but considering I lived in a highly anxious state most of the time anyway it just tipped me into the never never. Over the next 6 months I got really physically sick, developed chronic fatigue syndrome and lost weight. So yeah, my gp was very concerned as was I, so he recommended meds in combination with therapy. I am still on the meds. They help me. I've also been back in therapy this year. It's an ongoing thing that I've had to commit to.

I agree that meds alone don't work. It really is about finding a great psych in conjunction with meds. I've been to so many since I was a teenager. The one I've been seeing this year has by far helped me the most - I'm 38 - so the journey has been long and as you know, hard.

Hugs, anxiety sucks so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless you have a long relationship with your GP who understands your anxiety I find they do tend to be reluctant to prescribe meds. It is a great thing that they have put a plan in place and are willing to refer you to a psych. They will always be the best people to prescribe meds while helping to manage anxiety. Please do not write it off - and honestly do not stress about taking your DS in with you. I take public transport/walk everywhere and take my DS everywhere. They do not bat an eyelid when I bring him in.

My other suggestion is to find a GP with a special interest in mental health. They tend to have more knowledge around MH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just dont find it useful taking ds with me, last time i did he was tired & ended up cracking up big time & it was just a waste of everyones time. Thats why i haven't really seen anyone consistently since i was pregnant.

I just called the psych she referred me to who supposedly does evening appointments. She does them at 5pm & possibly 6pm but not regularly. Well thats helpful given 5pm is smack bang in the middle of wind-down night-time routine & he NEEDS that routine otherwise we will all be up all night.

And hubby doesn't even get home till 6.30pm if there is no traffic/accidents etc. He has an hours drive home. He can leave early sometimes but not weekly.

So on the hunt again for yet another psych....