How did you manage to get meds for anxiety?? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How did you manage to get meds for anxiety??

Well supposedly according to the gp i just saw 'medication is only a short term solution & is pretty hit & miss for anxiety'. So she gave me a Care Plan & told me to see a psychologist again because cbt & mindfulness are supposedly just as effective as meds & are a more long term solution.

I told her multiple times that i have seen numerous psychologists over the years & every time I found cbt & mindfulness to be completely & utterly useless. But apparently I have to try again .

Theres no point getting another opinion, i cant get to another practice so ill just have to see another doctor at the same practice who will just look at the notes on the system & tell me the same thing.

Those of you who are medicated for anxiety, how did you manage to get it in the first place?

I literally walked in & asked for meds. I dont know how much more explicit i can be. I dont understand why its so hard to get help? I spent most of my pregnancy asking for help & no-one wanted to know. Now im in this situation again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @heartstringz I have an anxiety disorder/clinical depression. The antidepressant I take is a combination anti- anxiety as well.

Anyhoo...initially I went to a Psychiatrist for diagnosis when when I was 23. Have been back several times over the years for medication reviews etc.

My GP is happy to prescribe the meds based on the Psych's recommendations. She will prescribe Valium for me when I need it (to break the insomnia cycle when it happens) as she knows I'll be sensible with them plus I'm not in there every few weeks wanting them either.

I think GP's are reluctant to prescribe as they can be addictive. People also sell them on the black market as well. Can you get a referral to a psychiatrist either in the Public Heath system or Privately if you have PHI/can afford it??
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 02-10-2015 at 11:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you get it? I know they exist for anxiety i just cant seem to get given them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was referred to a psychiatrist by my GP who then talked to me for AGES before I was medicated for depression and anxiety. I had weekly appointments with him at first (I was a student at the time so they were free, free, FREE!) and he put me on medication to tackle both the depression and anxiety. Then we went through FIVE SSRIs until I found one that didn't make me a total crazy person. Once I had my depression under control, I found the anxiety lessened too.

I've been on SSRI's for over 10 years and my GP has my whole history, she also has the authority to write me prescriptions for my current medication. If I'm super anxious or lacking sleep, my GP gives me Valium (which is amazing and knocks me out like a light). My anxiety levels are pretty high in general so it takes a fair bit before I seek out extra medication in the first place but it's nice to know that I have the option.

My understanding is that GPs aren't qualified to give you things like that without you seeing a psychiatrist first (not psychologist).

Can you go to your local hospital for a referral to a psychiatrist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats odd, ive been prescribed antidepressants by a gp in the past without seeing a psychiatrist, so i assume they are allowed to.

I dont know why she didn't refer me to a psychiatrist. I guess ill have to try & get a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thats odd, ive been prescribed antidepressants by a gp in the past without seeing a psychiatrist, so i assume they are allowed to.

I dont know why she didn't refer me to a psychiatrist. I guess ill have to try & get a referral.
    No idea. I do know that I had to go to the psychiatrist first, he prescribed me the medication and then my GP was able to continue prescribing it so I didn't have to shlep to his office on a regular basis (it was an hour drive and I didn't have a car at the time). But I had to go to a psychiatrist first. Of course, this was over 10 years ago. Perhaps things have changed since then?

And I really think one of the biggest hurdles in getting proper help is having someone who will take you seriously. That's one thing that hasn't really changed either. The number of times I was told to exercise and eat healthy and think positive my way to happiness. Sure, stuff like that can help, but sometimes there's a very real chemical imbalance that requires the drugs.

I think there's now a push in the opposite direction - go natural. I say screw natural! I've been 'cured' three times, off meds for over a year in one case, but I eventually needed to go back on them. And sometimes you need the medication to get you to a point where the other, more natural and longer term alternatives will work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Yes...GP's are allowed to prescribe those things but with antidepressants in particular...they don't have the specific knowledge of what's likely to work best for you & in what dosages like a Psych does depending on your issues (as antidepressants are grouped in different classes) so will usually just start with the basic old fashioned kind like Zoloft etc then go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Medication takes longer to work for anxiety, unless you take something short acting like diazepam (which has many side effects itself).

GPs can prescribe medication for depression and anxiety but will usually do so in conjunction with therapy. The combination of medication and talk therapy seems to be the best. It is trail and error and different for each person.

If you walk in and straight out ask for medication I doubt you will be given the medication. You would be better off going in and asking for a referral to a psychiatrist (who can prescribe medication) but you won't get medication straight away. They will want to make a diagnoses and go from there.

I think you want a quick fix and with anxiety there is no quick fix, even with medication I have never found my anxiety to go away completely with medication. I need to use a mix of strategies (not mindfulness as I can't get my brain to stop) to calm and ground myself in combination with medication. Although, now I am not on medication.

Try asking for a psychatrist and/or asking for a referral to a psychologist who uses other therapy types (not CBT)...there are so many other types of therapy that are also helpful. Most psychologists will use a combination of therapies not just CBT. Unfortunately you may have to research this yourself and ask for a referral to a certain psychologist who uses other therapy types.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (02-10-2015),snowqu33n  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want a quick fix because ive had anxiety for most of my life & im sick of it destroying my life.

Yes she also told me to exercise (which i already to & it has no effect on my anxiety) & to eat healthily (which i also do mostly to no effect).

Im happy to wait for medication to kick in, but i feel like ive tried everything else with no effect.

So i guess I have to try & get a referral to a psychiatrist & then figure out a way to see one when i have transport issues, i work part time & have no-one to look after ds on my days off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably over sharing here..

but I basically had an anxiety attack in the car with my 18month old DD while on the phone to my gp's practice.

They called the crazy hospital and I rocked up there with DD in tow. I was such a reck.

The hospital prescribed me medication & refered me back to GP. GP took it seriously there after.

I hope you do not have to hit rock bottom before getting help.