+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Full time working/studying mums, how do you do it?

So, I have finally secured full-time work, it feels very bitter sweet!

I also have to study a specific course whilst working at this job, so I can eventually be fully qualified.

Not only that but I am already studying a Diploma via distance education.

My question is, does anyone work full time and study? How do you manage it? Even just if you work full time, I need advise and suggestions on how to cope basically. I am not sure weather to try and complete the diploma at the same time or let it go.

Dd will also be going to child care full time but FOB will be picking her up earlier in the afternoon so I'm not overly concerned, she started this week a couple of days and she has had no problems at all.

Including getting to and from work and the actual work day itself I will be out of the house 11.5 hours give or take.

As you can imagine I am quite apprehensive, I have been away from Dd while I studied part time for a few months at a campus but the days were fairly short and I wasn't away for anywhere near as long as I will be.

I don't know what I'm looking for really, reassurance perhaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Bumping because I'm impatient 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I struggle working 4 days/week and studying part time. I have a 4yo DS and another bub on the way. My course is super intensive though, even part time, so that makes it hard during semester when I sometimes have 1-2 assignments due every week. Family life definitely suffers and I don't cope so well with late nights (being pregnant doesn't help). Also my DH works away a lot.

I think if you are going to do it you need to have a really solid support structure in place. Family/friends that can step in when things get tough/you have assignments due. Get help with housework and chores. Keep communication with your DP open and honest and plan in study time on the calendar, as well as family time. I find it's the lack of time with my loved ones that gets me down when I am spending all my spare time studying. I know other mums in my course are the same - you feel v guilty as your kids don't get the attention they deserve from you (temporarily).

Also talk to your lecturers/course coordinators and let them know of your circumstances, I have found mine to be extremely considerate and supportive, granting extensions etc.

Also try to do just what's required rather than giving 110% - something I am still trying to learn to do!

Best of luck 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I work FT and studying a post grad qualification at the same time (12+ hrs of study per week). Although I'm on mat leave for my second for 6 months atm so picked up more studying.

Honestly my only advise is to pay for those services that will make your life easier. Yes it means less net disposable income but these years won't last forever. I also see them as crucial to get ahead.

So we buy all our grocery online, and get delivered on a Sunday night. I plan for 1-2 big cook out so we don't spend time prepping dinner during the week.
    Thermomix has been a life saver too.

We have a cleaning guy that come and clean our place.

And DH takes care of drop off/pick up from childcare. He has the shortest commute so it makes sense that he does it.

I study at night and during nap times over the week end.

In our situation I found it very manageable. Busy but totally doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work casually but basically 4 days a week. I study part time - just one subject per week. My husband has been studying full time for nearly 2 years now and he does majority of housework. I still do all shopping, cooking and food prep but when I look at it he really does more. I still don't cope.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry I never replied! Feel a bit slack!

I start tomorrow, I feel organised I'm just nervous and a little anxiety ridden!

Of course Dd is ill and can't go to daycare but thankfully I have family helping out.

Fingers crossed it goes okay, I did buy a calendar today to write all of my appointments and due dates etc down, froze some left overs yesterday for lunches and quick dinners, organised the kids for tomorrow, cleaned up, picked an outfit in my head and have my alarm set for good ole' 5am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Until recently I have worked 3 different jobs 6 days a week for the past 6 months. My initial plan was to keep that up just until I returned to my fulltime position after maternity leave in August but I decided I liked 2 of the 3 jobs I took on and was asked to do more hours at one of them which was my previous profession I just loved getting back into. I love the variety. So I do 2 days a week there, kept a sunday shift at another job as I save on daycare and get penalty rates for working sunday and I returned to my fulltime position just 3 days a week, I resigned from the other job. I have Fridays off and work every 3rd Saturday morning. I work school hours though and due to living in the country don't have the time travel. However on returning to my position after maternity leave I learnt my position is being made redundant and was given a choice of what other area I may want to transfer to so I have been offered a traineeship and start my course tomorrow, at least I am able to utilise work time for study. I'm feeling refreshed after being on holidays and excited to start a career change. This week swimming lessons start as does basketball after school. I will be fine I am sure, I hope! It helps having a supportive and very hands on husband that's for sure.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 11-10-2015 at 21:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I hope all is going well with your new venture.
    I work full time and study and can i say i barely cope some days

I have just done an intro post in the intro section if you'd like to check it out.

your doing ok!