+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Wouldn't people wonder why one able bodied person is offering a seat to another able bodied person (assuming it wasn't conclusively obvious they were preggers)?
    Actually its something I do any way. Not just on public transport. Today for instance I offered my seat to another woman, not much older than me and not pregnant, not disabled etc in the full hospital waiting room. For no other reason than to be polite.
    And quite frankly i don't give a rats what people thought. Its not like I make a song and dance- just a smile and "do you want to sit down".
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 30-09-2015 at 22:26.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wouldn't people wonder why one able bodied person is offering a seat to another able bodied person (assuming it wasn't conclusively obvious they were preggers)?
    Nope. It's just a nice gesture. I do it all the time to anyone who is older/carrying bags/parent with small kids/someone with killer heels/looks tired or whatever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (30-09-2015),smallpotatoes  (01-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    This.

I don't understand why someone would be insulted to be offered a seat.
    I think if it was a man giving up his seat we would all think he was just being a gentlemen but if it was a woman, especially one that looked like she either needed the seat more or the same amount as you then there would more likely be a jab felt at somebody's self esteem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dont offer my seat.

Personally when I was pregnant in the early stages and needed a seat I was asking for one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you do?

There's a lady standing up on the crowded bus with a bit of a pot belly. Could be pregnant, could just have a beer belly.

Do you offer the lady the seat? Or (if the lady is pregnant) is it her responsibility to request a seat?
    Unless the woman is obviously pregnant I don't offer a seat as it's strange ( and can be awkward) for someone of a similar age and gender to give up a seat.
    I have asked apparent herby looking people if they mind if I sit down in the reserved section when they've sat there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I think if it was a man giving up his seat we would all think he was just being a gentlemen but if it was a woman, especially one that looked like she either needed the seat more or the same amount as you then there would more likely be a jab felt at somebody's self esteem.
    Yes this, if someone of a similar age and gender gives up a seat then then it makes you wonder why? Obviously if the person is more mature than you ( even by 20 years so still young) then it's considered polite.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd: giving up seat on bus

Wondering if it was me!! Was on a bus yesterday afternoon - am 30 weeks pregnant with twins and think it's pretty obvious but no body moved on packed bus. Stood over the people in the courtesy seats pushed belly in their faces - but no one moved and did throw a lot of daggers eyes. Interestingly all (younger) women ... ( besides legit older folk) I think am more comfortable asking men to move ... And have asked them to move recently ....Seat came up after 20 mins ...have found it worse in Sydney (lack of courtesy) than most other places have lived .... Big city effect .....

Ps I give up my seat all the time and did do early in the day but just moved (waddled) down the bus to an empty seat
    Last edited by crabby; 01-10-2015 at 05:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh, this thread makes me glad I live in ab area without access to public transport! Im terrified of all of these bus politics! I think I would have to wear a badge. "I'm a country girl. Please excuse my lack of public transport etiquette".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Gosh, this thread makes me glad I live in ab area without access to public transport! Im terrified of all of these bus politics! I think I would have to wear a badge. "I'm a country girl. Please excuse my lack of public transport etiquette".
    Nah, I use public transport all the time and find the public transport threads on here a bit sometimes. You'll be fine if you need to use public transport!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-10-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a tough one. I guess you could just say 'would you like a seat?', it doesn't need to be a big deal. When I was 10 weeks pregnant and the last pot bellyish I have ever been in my life was the time when I needed a bus seat most which became apparent when I fainted on the bus after a particularly hellish trip.