+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she's obviously pregnant, I offer the seat.
    If I'm not 100% sure I get up and let her take the opportunity to sit down if she wants to.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd: giving up seat on bus

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Yeah this is hard. I'd be so mortified if someone offered me a seat thinking I was pregnant when I wasn't! Not to mention a huge hit to my body image. So I think unless you're really really sure it's probably best not to offer just in case. I'd keep an eye out though to see if the lady was throwing dirty looks around like she wanted a seat and maybe then offer 😜
    This!

When I was obviously pregnant (34+ weeks) I still had to sometimes ask for a seat. It didn't really bother me. People weren't been intentionally rude, usually they just hadn't looked up from their phone or couldn't see me because of the crowds of people on the train. I'd just ask someone in a priority seat (who wasn't elderly and didn't look pregnant themselves) very politely for the seat. They would usually be very embarrassed and apologetic that they didn't offer to start with and immediately get up. I figure there are more important things to get angry about (world poverty, human rights issues!).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (01-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope! Only if she was older and seemed unwell.

I used to run my belly on people to make them move hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could just get up and move anyway without offering her the seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I thought about it and decided not to offer as I really wasn't sure. The suggestion to get up and move away without offering was good one - don't think it would have worked in this situation though as there was 3-4 people standing in between myself and the lady.

Anyway... A few people got off and a seat became available. When the lady sat down well let's just say her bump became more obvious.

... Which leads me to my next question. Is eyeing of a strangers pregnant belly being a weirdo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Id probably offer her the seat. Pregnant or not its no biggie.
    ETA- I wouldn't say anything about whether the woman was pregnant or not. Surely there is nothing wrong with simply offering a seat to someone?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (30-09-2015),Tinkers  (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agreed with the others. I probably wouldn't give up my seat unless it was obvious. In saying that, unless the woman is quite large I'm usually quite good at picking it!

For your second question VP, I don't think it makes you a weirdo. I'm often looking at pregnant bellies when I'm out and about, not working. I'm drawn to them! Possibly a professional side effect. Maybe that makes me a weirdo too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in this situation several years ago. The lady was rather overweight but I wasn't sure if she was pregnant. I didn't offer her a seat as I was so worried she'd be really offended if she wasn't. Luckily she was only on the bus for a few stops and then got off. Phew!

On the other side of it I was a teenager sitting on the bus facing towards the back. A lady got on with a pram and toddler and as I had headphones in and wasn't looking behind me I didn't see her get on. She started abusing me (from behind) shouting and going off at me. Holy Dooley I was absolutely mortified as I would have got up no problem if I saw her. An elderly lady then offered her seat to me as she saw how embarrassed and upset I was. Obviously I declined!

Bus politics!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would offer a seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    ETA- I wouldn't say anything about whether the woman was pregnant or not. Surely there is nothing wrong with simply offering a seat to someone?
    Wouldn't people wonder why one able bodied person is offering a seat to another able bodied person (assuming it wasn't conclusively obvious they were preggers)?