+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I second Howard Chilton. My midwife recommended him. The colic stuff was really interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was, am still, a total newbie too. Any first timer is I think regardless of exposure to other children. Even mums with other kids are newbs when it comes to the new Bub because they are all so different from what I hear and what was textbook for one will be foreign language to another.

DS1 is 4 months old now and before I had him I also tried to find books for advice on sleep patterns etc and honestly I haven't read any of them suggested to me! I had best intentions to but it was just last on the list and then he was here.

Instead I found advice from other mums on here or through my mothers group worked really well, and I'm glad I didn't cloud my mind with all the routines and different techniques & advice out there before having him because now I realise none of them mean anything until you meet your Bub and get an idea of what they're like.

I've totally been lucky and DS sleeps well so I've only had to do mild routines such as bath, bottle, book & bed for night sleep to help him set his own rhythm.

Good luck and best advice again is to reach out to places like this - there's bound to be at least one person who's figured something out along their way that can help you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (29-09-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JET09 View Post
    Probably a silly question but
    Any idea what other books?
    Anything by Pinky McKay or Sarah Ockwell-Smith. I liked Baby-Led Parenting by Gill Rapley and I found The Wonder Weeks useful.
    @Mamasupial might have some tips on coping when going back to work early?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love pinky

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the book, it's worked wonders for dd. I figured I'd give it a go & see & it's made life so much easier. We like it but it all depends on what works for you & your baby. Like anything some people will like it & others won't. It has worked wonders for us. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing I took from the book was awake times between naps. I found that helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The Wonder Weeks is also a fab book. When there were those times that I thought DS was going psycho it helped to open that book and see that it was a phase that every baby goes through. It helps you keep more of a 'this too shall pass attitude' when things feel particularly exhausting and tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 29-09-2015 at 23:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with @monkeymama - I didn't read any parenting books before DS was born and I'm so glad I didn't - I agree with not clouding your judgement with a million opinions before your bub even arrives. I didn't open a book until DS was around 5 months.

SOS wasn't/isn't for me as I don't like strict parent lead routines for newborns and young babies. I demand fed and in the beginning DS slept when he wanted to, there was literally no way I was ever going to be able to get him on her sleep schedule without considerable stress. The only thing I did was the 7pm bedtime from when he was around 3 months old, but this was from before I ever read her book so I can't say I got that idea from her (this just made sense to me).

As he got older I read Pinky McKay and I personally really liked her for the early months, she is a follow your instinct type of author which I liked at the time. I second the Wonder Weeks book (probably a good one to read pre-birth) this made DS's crazy times easier to understand and manage.

DS is now 1 and I've started reading Robyn Barkers the mighty toddler, she has a book for the first year too (Baby Love) but I haven't read it so can't personally recommend it. I do like her style for the toddler book so Baby Love may be another one worth looking out for.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 29-09-2015 at 23:43.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2015),monkeymama  (29-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh actually yep I too can recommend Wonder Weeks - I didn't get the book but I love the app on my phone, it even gives you an alarm warning when the next development leap is coming up. It also gives tips on what activities you can do with Bub to help with that leap as well. I love it so far and so do a lot of other mums I know. It isn't really sleep related as such though other than to warn you whether their sleep may be disrupted during that leap or not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-09-2015)