+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Save our sleep

Quote Originally Posted by JET09 View Post
    Oh oops not trying to open a can of worms here lol..

This can be deleted if admin would like before anything is said... I may just google reviews
    It's all good. I think bh is very placid now compared to those days.

Personally I found it a bit too rigid for my dd, she needed more boob and never did those 2 hour sleeps like she was meant to so stuffed the whole routine up as she was so overtired by the time I was suppose to put her down again. It was an ok reference book though as a general guide of how many naps, when I should be putting her down etc. It worked great for a girlfriend though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

JET09  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Oh no I didn't mean that! Sorry if I came across as rude... There are hubbers that have used it successfully, others who've used it unsuccessfully, others who like some parts and not others, others who've read it then flushed it down the toilet, is all I'm saying. So ultimately it will be your own opinion that counts the most as you make choices for your family.
    We just want an idea...

We are both first time parents but have 16 nieces and nephews so have a fair bit of experience lol

Unfortunately most of my family done demand stuff. None of them work other then being a SAHM ( which honestly I have so much respect for cause I don't think I can do it)

I need an idea I guess to get started. I wasn't sure if this was a book to get an idea or not or what to do exactly lol.

Real newbie here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    It's all good. I think bh is very placid now compared to those days.

Personally I found it a bit too rigid for my dd, she needed more boob and never did those 2 hour sleeps like she was meant to so stuffed the whole routine up as she was so overtired by the time I was suppose to put her down again. It was an ok reference book though as a general guide of how many naps, when I should be putting her down etc. It worked great for a girlfriend though.
    It's mainly for an idea as above post says lol

So it's good then for a general view. I understand baby will do as it wants and not be set set but I have no idea where to start

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I would maybe get several different books then and take the parts that work for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I would maybe get several different books then and take the parts that work for you.
    Probably a silly question but
    Any idea what other books?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth pantly is a good one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's really the SOS routine that people cringe at, it's more her techniques. I definitely suggest reading a few books. It's great to get an idea of what to expect and how much sleep they need but I think many of us have surprised ourselves in the sense that we are completely different parents compared to what we imagined. I was a night nanny so thought I was going to use Gina Ford (similar to SOS) and ended up being the completely opposite type of parent. I still followed a routine and used books as a reference but I found many caused me a lot more stress and anxiety than necessary and I wish I would have just followed my instincts a lot more. So many people on here told me that but I didn't listen, I was so stuck on what books told me should be happening and I wished I'd just followed DS' cues much more.

Jo Ryan's Babybliss is great for an idea of a sleep routine and really gentle and breastfeeding friendly. The biggest thing I found helpful was her saying how long a baby can last awake at each age and you put them back to sleep based on that as an overtired baby is harder to settle.

Good luck! It's a minefield of different info and parenting techniques out there!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-09-2015),smallpotatoes  (29-09-2015),VicPark  (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JET09 View Post
    Probably a silly question but
    Any idea what other books?
    There's so many! I recommend just going to the parenting section at your library and grabbing a few and then buy the one you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Save our sleep

These are the books I referred to a lot in the early months but others might suggest something else.

Baby love by robin barker is a great book for newbies- covers everything, not just sleep. Really reassuring.

The-Happiest-Baby-Guide-to-Great-Sleep-Book by harvey karp. Great tips on swaddling, crying, feeding and sleeping plus dealing with behaviours.

The one book that I found completely useless was a pinky McKay one- I know there are a lot of fans out there but I found it was 200 pages of waffle with no help or guide it's just telling you it's ok to have a crap sleeper.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-09-2015 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I wish I'd read this from Australian paediatrician Howard Chilton before my son was born: https://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic...baby-to-sleep/

Generally I've been pretty happy not having read any parenting books at all and just winging it although I do intend to read Howard Chiltons book at some point.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Mrs Snowman  (29-09-2015)