+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my 2.5 year old is like this. Minimal independent play which i am sure is age appropriate to a certain extent.
    I'm joining a toy library as I have noticed when new toys come along, she is better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My almost 5 yr old DD and almost 2 yr old DS are like this too. It's so extremely stressful especially since they don't sleep through the night with both of them waking several times and needing help to resettle even though they are still in my bed!! So I'm definitely feeling you on this one! Like you I know it comes with being a SAHM I find that even though we are SAHM we still now our space to breath, eat, shower and sleep all of these things I do with my kids attached to my hips 24/7. It's been happening so long now I'm just completely exhausted I have no energy and my concentration is lacking which is only making them more wild. I find it helps to remember that they are only kids for such a short time one day the constant need for us will end. Then we will whinge about that next lmao

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    I find it helps to remember that they are only kids for such a short time one day the constant need for us will end. Then we will whinge about that next lmao
    My oldest is doing this she does not want to do anything with us

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This may sound overly simple, but can you tell them "I'm just going to do xyz then I will come and play with you?" and then if they bother you early, remind them to please leave you alone to get xyz done because you'll be there as soon as that's finished.
    Start with short jobs and then increase the time you are away.

My kids are fine now, but my one thing that I still use for a breather is having a cup of tea. Some days I don't mind interacting with them at the same time, some days I just want to be left alone, and will tell them so. Yes they did start off standing there saying "have you finished your cup of tea yet??", but they've gotten enough scowly faces now for that that they know not to... now they just quietly walk up and peek inside my cup and walk away lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    This may sound overly simple, but can you tell them "I'm just going to do xyz then I will come and play with you?" and then if they bother you early, remind them to please leave you alone to get xyz done because you'll be there as soon as that's finished.
    Start with short jobs and then increase the time you are away.

My kids are fine now, but my one thing that I still use for a breather is having a cup of tea. Some days I don't mind interacting with them at the same time, some days I just want to be left alone, and will tell them so. Yes they did start off standing there saying "have you finished your cup of tea yet??", but they've gotten enough scowly faces now for that that they know not to... now they just quietly walk up and peek inside my cup and walk away lol.
    Haha I wish. I have actually tried this but unfortunately my kids have selective hearing 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd1 used to be like this. Needed me 100% of the time. Now, 4.5yo &3yo dds play all the time together, & the baby pretty much takes care od herself, lol. I dont know how &when it changed from needing me 100%to independence? It probably evolved through neccessity.... the busier I got with more babies, the more they just naturally HAD to play alone. I find if I am trying to sit & have 'me' time,they want me, but if I am up & looking busy, they leave me alone & play. I would also try 'I'm just doing the dishes/cooking dinner/ folding this washing/ etc &then I will play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did anyone every crack this? My two now 9 & 6 are incapable of playing on their own (the 9yo the worse) and now that they are home on holidays it is driving me to distraction!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Subbing!

Little miss almost 4 and little mr 15 month old are the same.

It's even worse that DH has been home on holidays yet they still both always come to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Subbing!

Little miss almost 4 and little mr 15 month old are the same.

It's even worse that DH has been home on holidays yet they still both always come to me!
    DH went back to work today and a calm has descended over my house, they still won't play but it seems less full on

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find this is a very common problem these days. My thoughts on it are this...

Kids these days are so over scheduled that they have not learnt how to entertain themselves. Jus think about it. Kids go to school/daycare every day where they are told what to do, then 4 out of 7 days they have activities after school or have after school care and on weekends they play sports. Then they finally have a day of nothing and they don't know what to do.

I know this isn't true of everyone but tis a valid point IMO. Not saying this is what happens in your house either just sharing my opinion.

I know this isn't a solution but my kids don't do a lot of activities during the week or on weekends. Nor do we go out every weekend. They are told to find something to do for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to go out for activities or watch tv/computer.

Its hard for toddlers but maybe this is a thought about what u can do to stop it in the future.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-01-2016),babyno1onboard  (03-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-01-2016),SoThisIsLove  (03-01-2016)