+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why can't my kids play on their own?

Hi, I've had the most stressful day with my kids. I have two boys DS1 almost 4 and DS2 almost 2. I find that when we are home the absolutely can't play on their own. I have so much to do at the moment and I can't sit down and do my work without them climbing all over me. I sit on the couch and have lunch and they are all over me. We have spent a lot of the day outside but they can't even be out there without me. We went to the park for 2 hrs and while they did play there, as soon as we got home, they are all over me whining and carrying on. I play with them but as soon as I leave the room they are at my feet again.
    How on earth can I encourage them to play on their own? I just need some breathing space and I know it comes with the territory of being a SAHM, I'm just not coping with the intensity of their dependency on me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing as I have the same problem! The other day I cracked it and got snappy and they actually did go and play. I felt terrible though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the exact same problem with 9yo DS and 5yo DD. If you find the secret please share it. DD slightly better as she will trash her room with barbies but it keeps her amused for a little while. DS will not ever play on his own and I do mean never!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Trampoline.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Trampoline.
    Santa is bringing one for Xmas! I can't wait!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I compromise. 10 min of every 30min I sit with the kids. Well in the beginning. Now its 15 min in every hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I compromise. 10 min of every 30min I sit with the kids. Well in the beginning. Now its 15 min in every hour.
    I do similar to this with 2yo DS. I get him started on an activity (blocks, colouring, cars, etc), then once he's absorbed in it I go and do what I need to do. It doesn't work every time, and doesnt always work for a long time, but it does work enough that I can get stuff done.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is the same, he wouldn't pay with his toys unless i play with him. He'd rather lie on the carpet staring at the walls than playing by himself. This puts me off from buying him toys. Even at the parks, he wants to play with me all the time, exhausting! Dd is very good at entertaining herself so all my energy is spent on Ds. I am sick of playing cars, trains and endless pretend games

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HLE View Post
    Ds is the same, he wouldn't pay with his toys unless i play with him. He'd rather lie on the carpet staring at the walls than playing by himself. This puts me off from buying him toys. Even at the parks, he wants to play with me all the time, exhausting! Dd is very good at entertaining herself so all my energy is spent on Ds. I am sick of playing cars, trains and endless pretend games
    My Ds is the same...sometimes I think he must be so bored. It's so frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two are the same. Ds is 8 and do is 6. The have all their toys upstairs but they much prefer to be downstairs with me and if I send them upstairs they ask every five minutes if they can come down.