+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Poor scan results - looking for hope

Hi all,

I am 6w2d pregnant with IVF and had a scan yesterday due to a very minor bleed (brown blood) I had over the weekend.

The scan revealed I was only measuring at 5w5d, and the gestational sac was empty - no yolk sac or fetal pole could be found.

The radiologists report said "The scan is too early to judge viability. The scan needs to be repeated in 3 weeks."

The sac was whole and situated well, and my HCG continues to increase as follows:-

14/09: 224...... 24/09: 6,367...... 27/09: 11,345.......28/09: 14,527

My Doctor and many kind friends have said "Don't give up hope" but I was just wondering if anyone had a similar story and actually had a positive outcome?

Krysta

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your HCG is nice and high. With my eldest DD I measured nearly 2 weeks behind early on, no HB, empty sac.. I was expecting the worst at my repeat scan, she had caught up to within a few days when I had another scan 2 weeks later. I think early scans cause more harm than good sometimes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your levels keep rising which is good. With DS2 I had a bright red bleed the morning of my scan where I was meant to be 6w6d with the scan showing 5w6d with nothing but a sac so the Dr did repeat bloods every 2 days and my levels were rising at a good rate and when I had the repeat scan 2 weeks later there was a nice strong heartbeat. Some times it's hard to see anything before 7 weeks, plus being brown blood indicates old blood which could just be from implantation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Krysta I had an ivf pregnancy too, I know it is so stressful. I had a light brown bleed 2 days after seeing the heartbeat eeeeek. But all was good she's now a gorgeous 13 week old baby girl
    Your hcg is excellent and rising which should reassure you a bit. I think being just a couple of days out in terms of measurement is ok and can be a margin of error. Hopefully you're going back sooner than 3 weeks though as that is a ridiculous wait in your situation. Can you ask your clinic to come in any earlier?
    I saw heartbeat at 6weeks + 5 days. From memory she measured 6+3 then. All the best fingers crossed for a great outcome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are just the type of stories I need to hear right now, thank you ladies. And please, keep them coming everyone.

I booked my ultrasound appointment for 16/10. I know that's a way off, but I wanted the peace of mind of a reliable result. If nothing shows then, nothing ever will from this pregnancy.

I have been quite fragile (to say the least) for the past few days and I didn't want to have one done and then get an inconclusive result. I feel under so much pressure already.

My clinic have been quite negative and non supportive too. Their comments on receiving the ultrasounds were along the lines of "Well, it doesn't look good for you."

My local Doctor was more empathetic, saying "There is always hope. The radiologist's report says it's simply too early to determine viability at this stage."

My clinic are hung up ion 'their' dates and can't see past them.

I worry about the empty sac.

ETA: I have another HCG scheduled for tomorrow.

Krysta