+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Have you seen those shampoo rinser cups with a sort of indented side? They sell them at Baby Bunting. Haven't used one myself, so cant say whether theyre any good.
    Might have to try one out, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    My DS is 4 and hates having his hair washed too. But don't think it's quite as bad for us, he just whinges and cries and carries on, doesn't really physically try to stop us.

I don't think you can be too forceful as it's probably only going to make them more defiant. Can you get him to lie in the bath with his head in water? If I lay my DS down gently with my hand under his head, he loves to just lie there partially floating. It's not as good as a good scrubbing soapy wash but I find I can get a little shampoo on my hand and massage his head whilst partially in the water. In a really nice gentle way. Sometimes he lets me sit him up and wash his hair (although then he usually wants to do it himself - a tactic worth trying also! Give him the shampoo and ask him to wash his hair/a dolls hair/ your hair. Participation can work really well.).

Maybe he has had soap in his eye before and the fear of it getting in his eyes and stinging is a factor. I think this is the problem with DS. He also loves swimming etc but hates water in his face in the bath for some reason.

Another thing you could try (if haven't already) is take him to the store and let him pick out his own special shampoo - preferably one with a favourite character/theme ie Spider-Man, minions etc. might not be your first choice of brand, but giving him ownership over the shampoo might help too - stress that it's special shampoo that won't hurt his eyes etc.
    He refuses to sit, lie down and as soon as I attempt to put any shampoo/water/face washer near his head he goes ballistic.

He's only little but super strong. Trying to wash his hair in the shower he manages to spread out his legs and push off the wall or glass to the point where he and I are falling over.

And I only wash his hair once a week, so it's not like he's having it done super often but with summer coming he'll get sweaty or have pool/beach hair so it's got to be more often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    When I was little, I hated washing my hair as I was afraid the shampoo would go in my eyes and sting. My mum had this ring thing that went round my head that helped, maybe you could try it? Kind of like this... http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331131552329
    I haven't seen that before, thanks, I might look into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    I have found letting my DS wash his own hair really helps. He pours shampoo on his hand and scrubs his hair. It's not perfect and we started with a teeny amount if shampoo then build up on it. I think he hated feeling out if control with it all.
    He flat out refuses to do it. So, I'm not sure he's ready to do this yet.

And I'm the gentle one, DH would be much more rough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do not have a 4 yr old so my question may just be silly but can he tell you what/why? Linda like is it the shampoo? Bubbles? It stings?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son used to be the same but since we thought to use his goggles for hair washing he has been fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I do not have a 4 yr old so my question may just be silly but can he tell you what/why? Linda like is it the shampoo? Bubbles? It stings?
    Tried it today. He just says that he doesn't like washing his hair. He's only just turned 4 last week, so in 6mths time he may be able to describe it better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    My son used to be the same but since we thought to use his goggles for hair washing he has been fine!
    Refuses to wear goggles even at swim lessons!!! 😁😖😡

He's a great kid but very strong willed, I should have washed his hair more often when he was manageable but who was to know he'd get worse at it????!!!!!!. I've even tried getting ds1 to 'model' the goggle look in the bath but it doesn't work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are visiting my mum next week so my one hope is that she will have some luck with it, as he adores her and has always been attached to her.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    When I was little, I hated washing my hair as I was afraid the shampoo would go in my eyes and sting. My mum had this ring thing that went round my head that helped, maybe you could try it? Kind of like this... http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331131552329
    I had one of these as a kid. It was great.