5 Top Tips - breastfeeding | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default 5 Top Tips - breastfeeding

I wasnt very successful at breastfeeding, so cant really do this one myself ... but lots of awesome Mums here have some great advice so I will leave it to them

go ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1. Have support (I mean lots of it, people you can talk to, a partner, mum or whoever)
    2. Give yourself a timeframe (reasonable too ie I will feed colostrum and see how I feel, I will try 2 weeks when we get home, I will try until 6 weeks etc)
    3. Know your limits and stick to them.. When enough is enough, when to seek help, when you need a break (a walk or shower)
    4. Happy baby equals happy mummy no matter the journey.
    5. Look after yourself, be kind to yourself.

Of course there are all the rest ie good pillow, good chair, good latch but I think emotional preparedness is just as important as the other stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1. Get lots of snacks and water/drinks at arms length. You may be stuck on the couch/chair for hours
    2. It hurts. Get lots of help from the LC and the midwives in the early days. And if it does not work - it is ok
    3. Lanisoh
    4. Feeding while laying down is the best.
    5. It is perfectly acceptable to feed your child anywhere. Adding to that it is perfectly acceptable to extend feeding past 1-2 years. Anyone who says otherwise can zip it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Be prepared for it to not work out and not to beat yourself up, lots of babies and mummies need to stop for one reason or the other and don't feel bad about it.
    2. Don't worry about what people/textbooks say is "normal" for breastfeeding. My babies both fed for 5-10 mins max one side and I used to stress about them not having enough etc as I was always told they need to feed for min 20 mins etc etc.
    3. Try not to be self conscious when out and about. If you are use a cover so you don't have to be stressed trying to find a feeding room when baby is screaming for food. I've fed baby in playgrounds, park benches, bus stops etc. Nowadays I think it's rare to find people it offends or who would say anything if it did.
    4. In the beginning be prepared for pain! No matter what people say it does hurt when you have a little baby vacuumed to your nipples for hours on end. Use nipple cream and cold compresses if they help.
    5. Silly tip but remember to cut babies nails! They like to claw and stroke you when feeding and it can be annoying when you're chest is covered in scratches!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What PP said AND some good nipple cream. Can recommend Lansinoh, I wish I had it with me at the hospital!

Someone also said to me (to prepare for breastfeeding) rub sand paper over your nipples and let them dry in the sun 😂. Sarcastic of course, but I think the point is if you have extra sensitive nipples that's all about to change... Anything you can do to desensitise them in advance might make it a little easier (do not recommend sandpaper btw this is just a funny!!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Breastfeeding is natural but it's also a learnt skill so be patient with yourself and your baby as you learn together.

2. For any cracks and grazes, try expressing a little milk and rubbing it into your nipples to dry.

3. Invest in some hydrogel breast discs. They're heaven in the first few weeks.

4. Try not to feel pressured, either to keep feeding or to stop feeding, it's completely your and your babies decision.

5. If it feels really painful ask for help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    What PP said AND some good nipple cream. Can recommend Lansinoh, I wish I had it with me at the hospital!

Someone also said to me (to prepare for breastfeeding) rub sand paper over your nipples and let them dry in the sun 😂. Sarcastic of course, but I think the point is if you have extra sensitive nipples that's all about to change... Anything you can do to desensitise them in advance might make it a little easier (do not recommend sandpaper btw this is just a funny!!).
    I think some people actually suggest using a facewasher that is slightly rough in the shower. I never did that. Not sure how it will help lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do remember thinking that it felt like my nipples had been through a cheese grater. Def wouldn't suggest that though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Get help. Breastfeeding might be 'natural' but it is hard to master. Make use of any resources but consider a lactation consultant sooner rather than later. They can identify problems with latching, positioning, tongue ties and all manner of feeding difficulties.
    2. Hydrogel breast discs will save you when you have early bruising, grazes etc.
    3. Get some nipple shields (I recommend medela) just in case. If you are in so much pain that you can't feed/hate feeding or bubs can't latch onto your nipples these may very well rescue you.
    4. Pay attention to those lumps. Massage them out before they become serious blockages and lead to milk blisters or mastitis.
    5. Zip up tops for daytime and button up pjs for night make life so much easier!! Also maternity singlets (without cups) and maternity crop tops for at home are awesome!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    - Lactation consultant.
    - don't listen to people when they tell you it doesn't hurt early on, it flipping kills
    - it does get better
    - have a breastfeeding buddy, mind was DH
    - if you're over it or it's not working out, crack open the formula, pour yourself a wine and get on with the rest of your life, it's ok!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (29-09-2015),nh2489  (29-09-2015)