+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Another toilet training question

So ladies, just looking for some opinions and advice.

DS is 19 months. We are not toilet training yet. I'm really contemplating it though. Nappy changes are a nightmare! We just keep going though.

One thing he does that makes me wonder if he's ready is when we tell him he needs to get undressed for a bath, he lets us undress him and we let him go nappy free while everything gets sorted and almost instantly when we take his nappy off he goes for a walk and stand and does a wee on the floorboards or carpet. Every time we take his nappy off. Without fail.
    He only does this when we say it's bath time though. He knows what he is doing because I tell him he did a wee and on the floor and he says yes. So I'm wondering is this a sign he may be ready to start or am I setting us up for failure?
    If it is a good time to start can I have some pointers on how to do it. I thought just letting him be nude from waist down would be good but it's too cold here.
    Don't want to start if I'm just getting my hopes up that it may work.

So would this be a good time to start or not? If we do start and it's not going well when do I throw in the towel?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anybody? 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think u can try start. I tried a few times with ds and stopped because he wasnt ready.. Until he was 2 then we did no nappies unless nap time. We did keep jocks on him though.. I thought it would help to feel the wet pants on him not just weeing somewhere and not feeling him wet himself.. Im no expert on it but thats what we did as well as a sticker chart on toilet door so everytime he did one in the loo he got to put a sticker on it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know @Rose&Aurelia successfully toilet trained around that age and might have some pointers.
    Mind you, she might be busy having a baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We toilet trained our DS at around 18 months. I don't really think it was anything we did particularly, he was just ready for it. He had always been in and out while we use the toilet so he knew what happened in there. He went around nude when we were home and we had a potty that he used at first. He did need to be reminded sometimes if he was distracted playing. We also got him undies (which was really hard because he is so skinny! But target had some size 1/2) with characters he liked and he didn't want to wee on them. Basically we just went cold turkey with the nappies and he did have the odd accident which we didn't make a huge deal of. Every use of the potty was highly praised. He was in family daycare and his carer was happy to do the same at her place so we were really lucky.

The night times are another story! I think he could do it but we co-sleep and I don't want him to pee in my bed, so he is still in a nappy overnight at 3.. ☺️☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're not toilet training DS yet - we will soon but since he was 12mths we have had a potty in the bathroom and i sit him on it while i run the bath and he almost always does a wee.
    We praise him and make a big deal of it. Figure its all about familiarisation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies! This is great.
    Do you think a potty is best to try or go straight for the toilet? DS isn't tall at all so he would struggle even with steps lol.
    I do like putting the potty in the bathroom while I run the bath though. It's a guarantee he does a wee when I strip him down for a bath. No doubt but because he runs off when I strip him down because he's excited I have to go hunting for where the wee is! Not fun lol.

Wearing undies to feel the wetness is a great idea. I'll have to look at target, DS is still a size 1. He has absolutely no waist though. Everything gets a bit saggy when he's playing lol.

We are going away this weekend so would it be best to wait until we get back to really give it a try?
    Do I sit him on a potty or the toilet every what half hour or less?

Hmm. Actually I think I will have to wait a couple of weeks. It's still too chilly to let him run around in undies and shirt. He'd freeze lol.

I feel so out of my comfort zone right now lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started using a potty at 10m and out of day nappies by 21m. I just gave her lots of "pottytunities" eg. Upon waking, after meals, before leaving the house. At home she would be bare bummed (babylegs legwarmers in the cold weather).

DS (27mo) has been a whole other kettle of fish. He's shown some signs and I've tried to follow his lead but he's so strong willed and unpredictable. He will only do things on his terms. We had some early success but now he's mostly shut down on the whole concept.

I say, just give it a go - even if he just does a wee on the potty each night at bathtime, its a start.
    Last edited by Stretched; 28-09-2015 at 21:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Another toilet training question

Thats why we are waiting a bit to toilet train our DS its too cold to have no pants or just undies on at home still.
    Once it warms up we'll give it a good go.

Like when i trained my DD's i will have both the potty and the toilet with a kidseat insert available to him to use.

He is 2.5 so hopefully he picks it up quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My DD started using a potty at 10m and out of day nappies by 21m. I just gave her lots of "pottytunities" eg. Upon waking, after meals, before leaving the house. At home she would be bare bummed (babylegs legwarmers in the cold weather).

DS (27mo) has been a whole other kettle of fish. He's shown some signs and I've tried to follow his lead but he's so strong willed and unpredictable. He will only do things on his terms. We had some early success but now he's mostly shut down on the whole concept.

I say, just give it a go - even if he just does a wee on the potty each night at bathtime, its a start.
    Ah ok, so pretty much like toilet training a puppy lol, I've done that before! After every activity take him to the toilet lol
    It's starting to warm up so I think it will be good to start soon 😀
    I actually think DS is the same, he's strong willed and independent.

Well that was my thoughts, if we get that one wee in a potty each night it's better than nothing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (29-09-2015)