+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, yes 40wks was just an example, and he does want a plan which we will have to make with all care providers if I chose to proceed with a VBA3C, which needs to include everything from start to when we draw the line and have a section, I would be happy to just get a trial, and growth scans are a must, I want to birth my baby in the safest way possible for myself and him/her which is why I am already researching and planning even though I'm still not pregnant.
    I appreciate every ones input and advice, it's all very helpful

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kissesforfive For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (28-09-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (28-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Something else to consider as well is getting your scar checked by ultrasound throughout the pregnancy. The lower segment (where the incisions are) starts to form around 12 weeks, so if you were to get scans on your scar a handful of times throughout your pregnancy it may give you some guidance as well as to whether it will hold up in labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I totally get where you're coming from, but there are a few things I want to explain. No, fetal monitoring is not the law, but it will be a requirement in labour. If you decline continuous fetal monitoring it will be documented in your chart, and if something goes wrong that could have been picked up earlier, then you will have nothing to fall back on. A 15min Doppler check may miss a bradycardia where babies heart rate has been dangerously low for a prolonged period. Of course this can happen in a low risk pregnancy too, but a change in the fetal heart rate is often one of the first signs of a uterine rupture.

Again, you're right that an obstetrician can't MAKE you do anything. But they will want to provide you with safe care. An obstetrician would be negligent if they didn't try to make the labour and delivery as safe as possible. If you want a VBA3C you need to make some concessions to your care. It is a high risk labour, nothing will change that. This is why I'm saying to research now so informed consent can be obtained by both parties.

Also the OP never said that she would have to have a caesarean at 40 weeks. It was merely used as an example. There will need to be a cut off point - one that BOTH the op and her obstetrician agree on, and in light of having a sized baby at 38weeks, there's always the chance of another big baby. By all means, have a growth scan at 36 weeks and dependent on the estimated weight you can use this as a guide for decision making.

It's easy to say that you make all the decisions, but after 3 caesareans the decisions need to be made in conjunction with your health care team. It won't be a successful VBA3C if either side makes independent decisions on how things will go.
    I agree with a few of your points, yes of course the OB will want a safe labour and delivery. But I actually think the only consent that is required is the mother's - provided mum and baby are healthy. What if the OB doesn't want the pregnancy to continue past 40 weeks? It's not his (?) decision. I don't know why there needs to be a 'cut-off point'? On what basis? Growth scans are notoriously inaccurate - as you correctly said, 'estimated weight'. Baby's size is not a reason for another csection.

Definitely agree this is high risk, given its a vba3c, but I just think the Op should fully understand her rights in all of this. She has body autonomy and has final say over anything. There may be hospital policies, but it doesn't always mean it's the right choice for an individual. For example, what if no wireless monitor is available? Do you suggest the Op just labour on her back on the bed? That is not conducive to a vaginal birth. An active labour and use of gravity should be encouraged.

This might help explain where I'm coming from.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1443436339.305091.jpg

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-09-2015),Heids89  (28-09-2015),maco  (28-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I think OP has quite a good understanding of everything.

Also a wired monitor doesn't mean you have to lie on your back the whole time. Yes you can't do laps around the room - but you can still stand, squat, kneel, sit on a ball etc as well have breaks off the monitor to use the shower, go to the toilet etc. It's not as restrictive as you're making it out to be.

Happy and healthy mum and baby is also surprisingly the Ob's ideal outcome as well. Ideally they will give OP full explanation for any recommendations that they make and OP can make informed choice decisions from there.
    Well hopefully the OB has explained his evidence based requirement of 'minimal weight gain' and spontaneous labour by 40 weeks, as per the first post in this thread.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-09-2015),Heids89  (28-09-2015),Kissesforfive  (28-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    Well hopefully the OB has explained his evidence based requirement of 'minimal weight gain' and spontaneous labour by 40 weeks, as per the first post in this thread.
    Actually he didn't give me any evidence based on his 40 week cut off, he just told me that if I get to 40 weeks I'll "have" to have a section as under no circumstances will he induce me.

I feel like he is supportive but under his terms if that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Op, you should do some research on 'natural' induction methods such as foleys catheter. There are other options for being induced, the OB shouldn't be flat out refusing you. Ask him for written stats on why you can't go to at least 42 weeks (normal gestation is anywhere between 37-42 weeks).

I wasn't trying to hijack your thread, but I just want you to realise you have options and don't have to consent to anything just because it's the the OBs opinion. And you can find another care provider if this OB isn't vbac supportive - when the time comes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I don't think you're hijacking at all and I welcome every ounce of information I can get!
    Thank you x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kissesforfive For This Useful Post:

Spotdog  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews

Default VBA3C anyone had one? Positive or negative welcome

Would love to keep hearing people's stories

Or advice